Automounting USB flash or external drives

I notice that in 11.2 that USB drives are not automounted anymore. There
is a notification that a device is found, but I have to actually click
on the notification and choose to open it with dolphin. If I do nothing,
the drive is never mounted.

I remember from 10.3 that it would automount the drive and put a icon on
the desktop. Is there anyway to duplicate this in 11.2?

Thanks.

Not so far, mounting has been changed from auto to ‘mount on demand’ as you have found, supposedly for the sake of security. I don’t like the device manager and feel that the lack of the old style automount is a bad regression.

On 1/20/2010 12:36 AM, Dwarfer99 was rumored to have said:
>
> Not so far, mounting has been changed from auto to ‘mount on demand’ as
> you have found, supposedly for the sake of security. I don’t like the
> device manager and feel that the lack of the old style automount is a
> bad regression.
>
>
I don’t like it either. There should at least be an option for those of
us brave enough to take the risk.

Have you tried adding it to /etc/fstab with the “auto” mount option? Not sure if it will work for usb or not.

On 1/20/2010 8:36 PM, tommyttt was rumored to have said:
>
> Have you tried adding it to /etc/fstab with the “auto” mount option?
> Not sure if it will work for usb or not.
>
>
No I haven’t. I’ll try that.

Thanks.

Whether it works or not is irrelevant. Automounting of flashdrives/usb drives etc should work outside of fstab, ie the way it used to, without any fiddling about. As I said, a regression.

Ok, so doing some more research into this and reading pages of bug reports (evidence that this is a problem to a lot of people) I have found a sort of solution. There is a module to automount in KDE4 called device-automounter (clever eh!) and can be found packaged for 11.2 in playground. Once installed having once mounted, the old way, a device it will automount subsequently. Not much in the way of settings, eg put an icon somewhere, but it is a good start.

Go here to get the .ymp. [KDE4 layground - Software.openSUSE.org](KDE4 layground - Software.openSUSE.org)

It has been moved to trunk and will be released in 4.4.

Crossing threads a bit here, but there is a picture of the proposed device manager setting, with automounter here KDE4.4 SC Preview - openSUSE Forums

Yes, a victory for common sense. Looks like 4.4 will be released in a month or so. I can wait. Thanks for the info!