Autodetect Boot Menu

Hi,

I’m not too savvy with Linux, I thought I’d ask on the forum for some advice. :slight_smile:

I had OpenSUSE 11 installed on my Dell Studio laptop as the only operating system. A few days ago, I had to install Windows for a job, I used the DVD that came with my laptop, it installed fine, but naturally overwrote the GRUB menu.

This morning I used the restore utility on the OpenSUSE11 DVD to try and fix the GRUB menu. It did something strange, it put two generic OpenSUSE11 entries in (normal and debug) whereas before I had an array of entries that let me choose different kernel versions and also my Xen configuration (one of the reasons I’m using OpenSUSE). It also didn’t detect the Windows Vista partition.

I’m just wondering if there is a tool out there that would be able to automatically find my Windows partition along with my normal and Xen configurations and make a GRUB menu from that information?

Maybe it’s not hard to do manually, but I don’t know how :shame:

Cheers

Here is the grub manual: GNU GRUB Manual 0.97

Run YaST/Boot Loader. Click on the Other button, lower-right. Click on Propose New Configuration. You’ll see the proposal there as the gui presents it, but if you click Other/Edit Configuration Files you’ll be taken to a different screen - there is a pull-down at top, click on /boot/grub/menu.lst and in the editing window below you’ll see the changes as grub will in the menu.lst file.