Authenticating OpensuSe in a remote network Samba

Hello,

Your solution would mean that the clients would connect directly with the server´s LDAP, and that is not the objective. In the server, the samba is making all needed interactions with LDAP, so the objective would be to use always samba as the “front door” for all clients, if you know what I mean.

Good news is that after 2 weeks banging my head in every wall I could find, it finally works!
There are a few log error messages that need to go away, but as of last night, I managed to get a remote client to authenticate with the samba server, and automount the user´s home on the desktop, and all that jazz.

At this point I was making so many changes to the .conf files that I´m not exactly sure of which change did the trick, but as I suspected, you must find the perfect sync between smb.conf, nsswitch.conf, /etc/hosts and the 4 PAM files used by samba.

I will try to trim all those files and remove what is not needed, to find the optimal-lighter configuration for it, but I´m really glad it worked.

If anyone is curious about it, I could post the client files in the working scenario (the server smb.conf was already posted in here somewhere).

Thank you very much for the help and the brainstorm material :wink:

Hi, I know this post is a bit old but since I’m facing the very same problem I would like to know how it was solved if that’s possible.

Thanks in advance,

Pancho