Audio pops when starting and stoping

I’ve had this problem a few updates back and it stopped after a update (dup) but started again today after today’s update (8-28-01) @ 6pm CST. The issue is, the audio will pop when I start something that has audio like a youtube video or play something in clementine etc. After the audio for whatever I’m playing stops …about three second latter it pops again. It does not do this during playing the audio. It’s almost like it turns off my audio card and turns it back on when needed or something. I’m using the headphone jack to power my creative pebble speakers that work fine so it’s not the speakers, like I said it was a problem in the past and stopped after an update but started again today.

Asus G75v laptop / Tumbleweed

uname -a 
Linux localhost.localdomain 5.13.12-2-default #1 SMP Fri Aug 20 07:04:28 UTC 2021 (33df9c6) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

26: PCI 1b.0: 0403 Audio device 
  [Created at pci.386] 
  Unique ID: u1Nb.HtpYv3eW1fB 
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0 
  SysFS BusID: 0000:00:1b.0 
  Hardware Class: sound 
  Model: "Intel 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller" 
  Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation" 
  Device: pci 0x1e20 "7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller" 
  SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc." 
  SubDevice: pci 0x1487  
  Revision: 0x04 
  Driver: "snd_hda_intel" 
  Driver Modules: "snd_hda_intel" 
  Memory Range: 0xf7310000-0xf7313fff (rw,non-prefetchable) 
  IRQ: 31 (5015 events) 
  Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d00001E20sv00001043sd00001487bc04sc03i00" 
  Driver Info #0: 
    Driver Status: snd_hda_intel is active 
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_hda_intel" 
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

[FONT=monospace]lsmod | grep snd 
**snd**_seq_dummy          16384  0 
**snd**_hrtimer            16384  1 
**snd**_seq                90112  7 **snd**_seq_dummy 
**snd**_seq_device         16384  1 **snd**_seq 
**snd**_hda_codec_via      24576  1 
**snd**_hda_codec_generic    98304  1 **snd**_hda_codec_via 
ledtrig_audio          16384  1 **snd**_hda_codec_generic 
**snd**_hda_codec_hdmi     73728  4 
**snd**_hda_intel          57344  2 
**snd**_intel_dspcfg       28672  1 **snd**_hda_intel 
**snd**_intel_sdw_acpi     20480  1 **snd**_intel_dspcfg 
**snd**_hda_codec         172032  4 **snd**_hda_codec_generic,**snd**_hda_codec_hdmi,**snd**_hda_intel,**snd**_hda_codec_via 
**snd**_hda_core          110592  5 **snd**_hda_codec_generic,**snd**_hda_codec_hdmi,**snd**_hda_intel,**snd**_hda_codec,**snd**_hda_codec_via 
**snd**_hwdep              16384  1 **snd**_hda_codec 
**snd**_pcm               163840  4 **snd**_hda_codec_hdmi,**snd**_hda_intel,**snd**_hda_codec,**snd**_hda_core 
**snd**_timer              45056  3 **snd**_seq,**snd**_hrtimer,**snd**_pcm 
**snd**                   114688  16 **snd**_hda_codec_generic,**snd**_seq,**snd**_seq_device,**snd**_hda_codec_hdmi,**snd**_hwdep,**snd**_hda_intel,**snd**_hda_codec,**snd**_timer,**snd**_hda_codec_via,**snd**_pcm 
soundcore              16384  1 **snd**

[/FONT]
[FONT=monospace][FONT=monospace]00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

[/FONT][/FONT]

As this is a laptop, the most likely reason is power-save.

You write “so it’s not the speakers”, but I think you are too fast the kernel can behave differently but only your creative pebble speakers trigger the problem and to debug that the problem it would be good to know that, so can you try with a wired headphone or similar?

You problem seems to be what is written on Power management - ArchWiki

It can be enabled by setting the power_save parameter; a time (in seconds) to go into idle mode.

Can you share the output (incl. the command itself) of:

grep power_save /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf

Greetings Marel,

First… that grep does not return anything. Second…the internal speaker on the laptop does the same thing as does anything plugged into the headphone jack…something to do with the card. And, it’s started and stopped around updates. I’m more curious of why it does it as it’s not a huge deal but just annoying. I connect my laptop to an external monitor via hdmi and it has a jack on the back of it and it shows up in the sound section as an ouput so I just plugged the speakers into it and switched the output and it’s not doing it anymore. There seems to be a lot of activity around pulse audio and pipewire, I just checked to see what updates were available this morning and see this.

The following 2 packages are going to be upgraded:
gstreamer-plugin-pipewire pipewire-media-session

2 packages to upgrade.

I’m not familiar with pipewire, is it a replacement for pulse? Does audio being sent out via the hdmi also use pulse or pipewire as it seems like the nvidia card handles it?

[FONT=monospace]01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

That’s the output I switched to and it’s working fine.

Thanks for your time, have a great day!
[/FONT]

I’m not familiar with pipewire either, but I am trying to learn.

According to a general wiki on Pipewire, PipeWire is a server for handling audio and video streams and hardware on Linux. It was created by Wim Taymans at Red Hat. It handles multimedia routing and pipeline processing.

One of the initial goals was to improve handling of video on Linux the same way PulseAudio improved handling of audio.

Some claim it fixes many problems that PulseAudio had experienced, including its high CPU usage, Bluetooth connection issues,and its JACK backend issues.

In terms of the implementation, according to an Arch Linux wiki on Pipewire:
PipeWire is a new low-level multimedia framework. It aims to offer capture and playback for both audio and video with minimal latency and support for PulseAudio, JACK, ALSA and GStreamer-based applications. The daemon based on the framework can be configured to be both an audio server (with PulseAudio and JACK features) and a video capture server. PipeWire also supports containers like Flatpak and does not rely on audio and video user groups but rather it uses a Polkit-like security model asking Flatpak or Wayland for permission to record screen or audio.

I have read that ultimately it aims to replace both PulseAudio and JACK, by providing a PulseAudio-compatible server implementation and ABI-compatible libraries for JACK clients.

Thanks @oldcpu for the summary.

Currently on Tumbleweed 20210828:

$ sudo zypper se -i pipewire pulseaudio

S | Name | Summary | Type
–±----------------------------±-------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
i | libKF5PulseAudioQt3 | Qt bindings for PulseAudio | package
i | libpipewire-0_3-0 | A Multimedia Framework designed to be an audio and video server and more | package
i | pipewire | A Multimedia Framework designed to be an audio and video server and more | package
i | pipewire-lang | Translations for package pipewire | package
i | pipewire-media-session | PipeWire Media Session Manager | package
i | pipewire-modules | Modules For PipeWire, A Multimedia Framework | package
i | pipewire-spa-plugins-0_2 | Plugins For PipeWire SPA | package
i | pipewire-spa-tools | The PipeWire SPA Tools | package
i | pipewire-tools | The PipeWire Tools | package
i | pulseaudio | A Networked Sound Server | package
i | pulseaudio-bash-completion | PulseAudio Bash completion | package
i | pulseaudio-lang | Translations for package pulseaudio | package
i | pulseaudio-module-bluetooth | Bluetooth support for the PulseAudio sound server | package
i | pulseaudio-module-gsettings | GSettings module for PulseAudio | package
i | pulseaudio-module-x11 | X11 module for PulseAudio | package
i | pulseaudio-module-zeroconf | Zeroconf module for PulseAudio | package
i | pulseaudio-utils | PulseAudio utilities | package

Two captains seems to me to be a receipt for problems, but I do not see pipewire-pulse and “pactl info | grep Server” does not give anything so I think I am running still 100% PulseAudio.

As far the problem of @Neal is fixed with the latest update, but if things are really switched over I think we can expect to see more problems.