Audio issues 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 0

Hello,

I’m relatively new with suse, and have a bit more experience with ubuntu/kubuntu. I made the switch to suse just recently but have run into an audio problem. Shortly after installing suse I got a message saying “Conexant Audio not working, switching to default”. Now I have sound, but it’s low in volume and sounds horrible compared to what my computer used to sound like. With an lspci command this is what pops up as my audio device.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

To be honest I’m not sure how to tell if I have the right driver for it or not. I’m still learning linux and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
HH60 Gunner

Welcome to openSUSE.

This could be a bug in openSUSE. Take a look at these threads here, where users have posted solutions that worked for them in a related (but possibly not identical) problem:

Thank, try going to YaST > Hardware > Sound > Other > Volume and move up both the Master and PCM volume controls to 95% or so. Then close YaST. Then go to your mixer (kmix if kde and alsamixer if gnome) and move the Master and PCM volume controls up there as well. If you have surround sound, you will need to move up additional sound controls.

openSUSE comes with alsa, which is most likely the correct driver for you. Its likely only a matter of tuning your audio configuration.

Here is a link to some basic opensuse concepts: Concepts - openSUSE

… and here is a link to some openSUSE sound concepts (very theoretical for a new user): Sound-concepts - openSUSE