Audio CD Player Problems

I have had trouble getting audio CDs to play with KsCD and Kaffeine using both 12.3 and 13.1. If I insert a regular audio CD in either CD/DVD burner, the Available Devices popup gives me choices of playing the CD with KsCD or Kaffeine along with opening with K3b or Dolphin. When I select Kaffeine, sometimes it plays the entire CD, other times only the first track. Opening with KsCD doesn’t do anything. When I click the PLAY button, it gives me a no disc message. Dragging tracks into the KsCD playlist gives the same result. With Kaffeine,I get a popup with the message "cannot find plugin for MRL “audiocd:/?device=/dev/sr1”. " How can I fix this? Is something wrong or missing in one of my /lib/udev/rules.d files?

I can’t test this right now, mostly because

1. Everyone else in the house is a sleep and I can’t move around freely
  2. I don’t have a CD to hand
  3. I never play music directly from a cd, I rip it to the HD

But last time I did play any I used vlc

Works fine for me with 13.1.
In 12.3 I had similar problems though, but the newer KDE/phonon works fine for me.

With Kaffeine,I get a popup with the message "cannot find plugin for MRL “audiocd:/?device=/dev/sr1”. " How can I fix this? Is something wrong or missing in one of my /lib/udev/rules.d files?

This works fine here, too.
Do you have the package “kio_audiocd” installed?

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier. The problem went away after I installed the huge number of updates which have arrived in the last several days.