Audacity refuses to start

Hi,
Until now I was using OpenSuse only for developing web applications and using Fedora, Bridge or Siduction for multimedia production and now I’d like to use OpenSuse also for the multimedia work but I having several issues with the applications which I need for my work (I’ll start different threads for each application because issues surely have different causes). An application I use a lot is Audacity but when I try to launch it from a console I get this messages (I started jackd before launching Audacity):

luispa@linux-masr:~> audacity
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:617:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1022:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2223:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2223:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2223:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:617:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:961:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports only playback stream
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 925
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1135
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 925
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1135
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2083
Expression 'ValidateParameters( inputParameters, hostApi, StreamDirection_In )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2083
Expression 'stream->capture.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 3857
Violación de segmento

“Violacion de segmento” means “Segmentation fault”.

I’m using Tumbleweed repositories and Audacity version is 2.0.3-80.13 (Packman Tumbleweed). What can I do to solve it?
Thank you very much in advance,
Luis Pablo

Just a hunch, but try to delete your previous local settings of Audacity and start it again. I don’t know how Tumbleweed behaves, I use OS 12.2 and Audacity works fine. You might also try to start Audacity without JACK running and see how that goes.

Locally Audacity stores its settings in /home[user]/.audacity-data

Also check whether you have audacity plugins installed

There are no “audacity plugins”.
Maybe you’re mixing it up with Audacious? :wink:

Regarding the original problem:
For me the packman package works fine on 12.3, without jackd running, although I do get similar messages in the console…
But well, I just tried running jackd before, and it still works.
Maybe you could try to disable PulseAudio? (YaST->Hardware->Sound, click on “Other” in the bottom-right corner and choose “PulseAudio Configuration”)

oops ! read it as audacious. i used to use audacious on 12.2 and audacity was used by me 5 years ago on win

Thank you very much, that solved the issue.

How do I mark the thread as “SOLVED”?

I don’t know how to mark it as solved, but there are others around that definitely should know.

Good to see you have a workable Audacity back!

We don’t really practice that regularly enough to be useful on this forum. You can always try editing the title with a final posting. :slight_smile: