ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Xpress 1250 weird effect.

I have a ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Xpress 1250 and I’m getting strange lines appearing around notification messages. Let me see if I can post a picture.](

If you look at the top right corner there are weird lines surrounding the message. Is this a driver issue? What could it be.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone have any idea’s?

I got the same thing… and in a matter of fact, it’s getting worse and worse.
Since openSUSE 11.3, my experience with ATI legacy is really bad.

With KMS enabled my system freezes with kdm start. a CTRL+ALT+F10 shows me gpu lockup. only thing to do is hard shutdown/reboot.
With KMS disabled i get this result (see screenshot included at the bottom. Radeon with swrast or radeonhd… the two show similar behaviour.

My card is an ATI mobility radeon X1300. (M52)

screenshot of my

So it’s either an old distro and legacy prop. ATI drivers, or gpu lockup or heavy artifacts.
I hope the future of ATI legacy improves and not degrades.

Ohh that’s not good. Thanks for the info by the way. Lets hope they improve the drivers.

There is a bug report here: which has a work around for R5xx users (Radeon X1xx series) and R3xx/R4xx users (Radeon 9600/X300/Xxxx) users. Neither of you have that hardware, but I offer the solution for that hardware in case there is some benefit (ie you could try this and see if it also works for your radeon hardware:

Workaround for R5xx users (Radeon X1xx series)

  • disable KMS by adding ‘nomodeset’ to kernel boot options

  • add the following section to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf

  Section "Module"
    Disable "dri"
    Disable "dri2"

- use this "Device" in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf./50-device.conf

  Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"

    Driver "radeonhd"
    Option "AccelMethod" "xaa"


Workaround for R3xx/R4xx users (Radeon 9600/X300/Xxxx)

  • disabled KMS by adding ‘nomodeset’ to boot options.

  • add the following section to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf

  Section "Module"
    Disable "dri"
    Disable "dri2"

Again, the above is for slightly different Radeon hardware so it may not help you in this thread.

I’ve tried the xorg.conf.d trick you provided and it seems to be better now. Instead of my whole screen garbled with artifacts, i now got two vertical bars in my screen wich show this behaviour. It leaves me with about 80% of good readable text, so i’ll stick with that for a while 'till there’s a better solution or fix.