ATI Problems - Newbie Please help!

Hiya, I have been trying to get into Linux (more specifically Suse) for the past 4 or so years, and this is my third and final attempt.

I always struggle with the basics mainly drivers and his time I have found that my Radeon x1300 (Yes I know its cheap but it does a fab job in Vista)

So when I go into Sax it says ATI Radeon X1300 but has no customizable options and “Enable 3D Acceleration” is greyed out. I tried to download the latest ATI Drivers from ATI (using the SUSE help page and “Once click”) but it has donen nothing that I can see (I did type that Sudo… ina terminal too…

I really want to suceed at using linux this time, I have always loved the concept of Suse, and the appeal of Beryl but get stuck at the first hurddle (I am great on windows but Linux is so different!)

Please can you guys give me some assistance, I understand that I may need to download the specific driver from ATI for my card (done) but I do not have a clue how to install it! (give me a .exe any day lol! lol!)

I Just want to Run Linux for Internet (Beryl/Compiz Fusion) Word proccessing/ Videos etc. I am not intending to replace Vista completely as I use Media Centre conected to 2 Xbox 360’s (and will only work with Media Centre) But I want to keep that system running lean for that and use linux for everything else.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

My system is as follows:
Dell Dimension E521
Dual Boot using Grub
Vista Ultimate 64Bit / Open Suse 11.0 64Bit
200GB Partition (Vista) / 100GB (Suse)
External HDD 1TB
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1300 256MB RAM

Good help here
ATI - openSUSE