Ati fglrx drivers not work on Radeon 6470M (opensuse12.2)

Hello,

The Ati fglrx drivers not work on my laptop (all versions). Have you a idea for help my ?

Opensuse 12.2 is cool, it works fine on my work station, but on my laptop the fan are very noisy, yet with indication nomodeset on Grub.

I find the system use many resources, on my laptop cpu at 12-14 % (core i5 at 2.3ghz) after boot without working. If i look a vidéo on youtube
for exemple, the image is jerky with a Intel GPU and fan is too noisy with Ati GPU on free drivers.

The free Intel graphical drivers are nice, but not really efficient. Hopefully better versions. Intel make it a proprietary version ?
On their website they redirect us on http://intellinuxgraphics.org

Suse 12.2 is pleasant to use. Tank you for all.

Good day.

Hello,

Unfortunately I have not yet found a working driver for my Ati Radeon 6470M card.

For my laptop makes less noise, I as found a solution to install Xfce instead of Cinnamon. Gnome / Cinnamon using too many resources on laptop. Xfce uses 1% Cpu on Idle mode. Flash player still seems to consume a lot of resources if you watch a video with graphics drivers free. It is unfortunate that Intel does not offer proprietary drivers, and / or does not cooperate more with intellinuxgraphics to offer drivers free for optimum performance.

For those interested I reinstalled my laptop on a USB 3 key Sandisk :

http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/sandisk-extreme-usb-30-flash-drive/Performance-and-Final-Thoughts.html

It works as fast as ssd when it is connected to USB port 3 (20 seconds to boot) and as fast as dd 7200 rpm when it is connected to usb 2 ! This is awesome ! In addition when I plug it this Usb 3 key on my workstation boot too ! Installation on USB key seems transportable ! Only the network card and graphics card are then poorly recognized. Is it possible to restart the “automatic configuration suse” (which starts at the end of the install of Suse) on manuel request for the drivers install automatically ?

Suse 12.2 ISO is very easy to transfer to a usb key for install without DVD, it’s even faster. Perhaps we will soon have live-usb key, can be updated (patched) and be 100% portable one pc to another !?

It’s beautiful work, thank you ! It is a pleasure to use Opensuse :slight_smile:

Excuse me for my bad english…

Good day to you.

Post censured by Knurpht… ;( “I removed the link to the SANDISK reseller, because it’s offending the T&C. For your info: links to commercial sites are not allowed on the forums. For spamming reasons.”

I have linked a performance from my usb 3 key ! I have not posted a commercial link site from reseller, but a url of internet magazine of storage ?! It’s not cool to censure it !

Here are just pictures because furum moderator refuse my link ?! First images is usb 3, second image is usb 2 performances.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/images/stories/reviews/sandisk_extreme_usb/sandisk%20extreme%20usb%20cdm%20usb3.png http://www.cdrlabs.com/images/stories/reviews/sandisk_extreme_usb/sandisk%20extreme%20usb%20cdm%20usb2.png http://www.cdrlabs.com/images/stories/reviews/sandisk_extreme_usb/sandisk%20extreme%20usb%20atto%20usb3.png http://www.cdrlabs.com/images/stories/reviews/sandisk_extreme_usb/sandisk%20extreme%20usb%20atto%20usb2.png

I’d prefer you to help me, rather than censor me … I have not received a response to my post from October 7th.

Good day

I apologize for erroneous moderation. Also by PM. And I’m sorry that you haven’t had any reply so far. But, please bear in mind that we’re all volunteers, with daily jobs, families.

On topic:
Does the laptop have hybrid graphics?

And:
It’s already possible to create a portable system. I carry one around on a 8 GB USB key :). The main 2 points that need your attention are the partitioning and the bootloader. The latter needs to be installed on the USB device.

Censure of my post was deleted, the link was restored, thank you

Yes, my notebook (vaio vpcsb) are a dual graphic card intel/ati, the switch button work natively :slight_smile: !!

Grub is installed on my usb 3 key on mbr, all work perfectly.

8 Gb is very small on use. I have on past tested a 16 and 32 Gb ubs key, but for work nice i suggest to you to use a 60 Gb usb 3 key.

My Sandisk usb 3 key 60 Gb run at very expensive performance for a small investment (50€).

I can only advise you on such a purchase.

Good day.

PS

I’ve never seen a USB key with fast performances, like this ! :slight_smile:

Hello,

After new test the last driver ati v. 12.1 work on my laptop, but I have a new problem. Effectively after a update when using a command line “zypper update” this driver is not functional ;(

X 11 don’t start ?

Have you a idea of my problem ?

Good day to you.

You haven’t really described what the problem is and what you’ve done, so its rather hard for anyone to provide any help

but on my laptop the fan are very noisy, yet with indication nomodeset on Grub.
Not sure why the fans would be coming on so much, but likely because your system is under load, or the fact that the radeon driver doesn’t have the best PM (power management) or likely because your system is running both the intel and AMD graphics adapters, as opposed to powering down one when not in use. Not sure why you thought the “nomodeset” option would have any impact on this (as it doesn’t)

I find the system use many resources, on my laptop cpu at 12-14 % (core i5 at 2.3ghz) after boot without working. If i look a vidéo on youtube
for exemple, the image is jerky with a Intel GPU and fan is too noisy with Ati GPU on free drivers. … For my laptop makes less noise, I as found a solution to install Xfce instead of Cinnamon. Gnome / Cinnamon using too many resources on laptop. Xfce uses 1% Cpu on Idle mode.
I was likely “tracker” or whatever desktop search dameon software doing indexing for its database.

The free Intel graphical drivers are nice, but not really efficient. Hopefully better versions. Intel make it a proprietary version ?
On their website they redirect us on http://intellinuxgraphics.org … . It is unfortunate that Intel does not offer proprietary drivers, and / or does not cooperate more with intellinuxgraphics to offer drivers free for optimum performance.
No, only open source – which is a good thing!

Flash player still seems to consume a lot of resources if you watch a video with graphics drivers free
Flash on Linux is a garbage, pure and simple.

For those interested I reinstalled my laptop on a USB 3 key Sandisk :… It works as fast as ssd when it is connected to USB port 3 (20 seconds to boot) and as fast as dd 7200 rpm when it is connected to usb 2 ! This is awesome ! In addition when I plug it this Usb 3 key on my workstation boot too ! Installation on USB key seems transportable ! … I’ve never seen a USB key with fast performances, like this !
Neat!

Is it possible to restart the “automatic configuration suse” (which starts at the end of the install of Suse) on manuel request for the drivers install automatically ?
No. But if Xorg has been left to automagic configuration in the initial install, then the graphics part should do just that on its own. Unfortunately (in this context), you have a hybrid system, and I’m not sure what the installation does in terms of configuration for that. As for the network configuration, I’m not particularly knowledgeable about its configuration mechanics.

Suse 12.2 ISO is very easy to transfer to a usb key for install without DVD, it’s even faster. Perhaps we will soon have live-usb key, can be updated (patched) and be 100% portable one pc to another !?
A live usb-key, sure. But a portable installation, as you did above and discovered, can be problematic.

After new test the last driver ati v. 12.1 work on my laptop,
I believe you meant fglrx/catalyst 12.11

but I have a new problem. Effectively after a update when using a command line “zypper update” this driver is not functional ;(

X 11 don’t start ?

Have you a idea of my problem ?
You likely either got a kernel update or a conflicting xorg update. The (out of tree; meaning its not a builtin kernel driver) prop. fglrx driver is built against a specific kernel. Before applying new kernel updates, and often X server related stuff, you should uninstall the prop. driver and then apply the kernel/x updates, and then, after a reboot into that new environment, re-install the prop. graphics driver

Hello Tyler,

Thank you for your help.

The system executes a single graphics card at a time, I think the fan noise is a problem of drivers free optimization.

The open source driver intel is too inefficient to run gnome or cinnamon without noise, and it is unable to display the 3D or videos in full screen.

I prefer the proprietary drivers they work much better. If their code was free I’m sure you’d like it more :slight_smile: as we all.

Flash is not great… this is the format used by YouTube, etc. You could give me an alternative ?

I was interested to restart the “automatic configuration suse” because I noticed that when I plug the USB key opensuse from my laptop to my workstation, it starts and run, but the network card is not recognized. I thought it would be great for go from pc to pc easily…

The ati drivers 12.10 that work with the kernel base 3.4.6-2.10.1, after an update to the kernel 3.4.11-2.16.1, nothing works.

I uninstalled the ati proprietary drivers, this is not the problem. After the update of kernel, if I install the driver from the command line, or if I create a new rpm, x11 does not boot. The ati driver seems unable to compile for the new kernel ??

Do you have any idea ?

Good day to you.

If it’s just about installing fglrx, why not tryng atiupgrade? It does take care of everything. There was a bug with Catalyst 12.10 that I just fixed today. See the second screenshot in this post: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/development/programming-scripting/449058-upgrading-ati-driver-atiupgrade-26.html#post2501775.

You should not mix both methods. Either use atiupgrade or the non official ATI repo.

Possibly … I’d try messing around with the power management profiles to see if that helps. If you “cat” one of the sysfs attributes, you can see which power profile the adapters are using … sorry, don’t recall the command right now, but I’m sure you can find it on google (cat /sys/class … )

The open source driver intel is too inefficient to run gnome or cinnamon without noise, and it is unable to display the 3D or videos in full screen.
As for the former part, again, I’d suspect the fan is revving up because of indexing, not the adapter … as for the later, that’s not true at all of the recent intel graphics adapters, so there is some issue there.

I prefer the proprietary drivers they work much better. If their code was free I’m sure you’d like it more :slight_smile: as we all.
fair enough

Flash is not great… this is the format used by YouTube, etc. You could give me an alternative ?
well, for youtube, much of your needs could be covered by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=top and look at the burdern on the system doing it that way, and compare it to play back in the browser – what a joke!!!

Lets face it, Flash on Linux sucks. Not surprising though – did you ever see any of the comments the Adobe flash for LInux developer guy was making? There was no shortage of disparaging comments about Linux from him (i.e. obvious bias), as well as, on several occasions, making a number of mis-factual technical comments about subsystems, which end users would turn around and point out as being dead wrong, yet they would seemingly be ignored (i.e. why let facts get in the way of a good story … IOW, the guy likely wasn’t qualified for the job). Given that (i.e. if you take my comments and speculation at face value) there shouldn’t be a lot of surprise that flash on Linux is very far from optimized.

I was interested to restart the “automatic configuration suse” because I noticed that when I plug the USB key opensuse from my laptop to my workstation, it starts and run, but the network card is not recognized. I thought it would be great for go from pc to pc easily…
Yep, I hear you. I imagine that, with some tinkering, you could achieve something that would provide much better results in these regards.

The ati drivers 12.10 that work with the kernel base 3.4.6-2.10.1, after an update to the kernel 3.4.11-2.16.1, nothing works.
ahh, okay.

I uninstalled the ati proprietary drivers, this is not the problem. After the update of kernel, if I install the driver from the command line, or if I create a new rpm, x11 does not boot. The ati driver seems unable to compile for the new kernel ??

Do you have any idea ?
Well, given that you can build the rpm, I’m 100% positive that it compiles lol!

As to your usage problem, I don’t know … try pta’s suggestion. Failing that (i.e. if you’re still having trouble), why don’t you post your xorg log to suse paste and give us the link and we might be able to spot what is going on.

Perhaps wrong kernel headers?

I remember reading in a post recently that those had been moved to libc(something)-devel.

Just guessing, mind you.

Hello Please_try_again,

To be honest, I dont like to use a scripts to do what I can do by myself and it’s so easy :slight_smile:

Thank for your participation on this conversation.

Good day.

Hello Tyler,

Thank you for your answer.

I’ll watch what you say about the power management. But I have a another clue :

On ati proprietary drivers with xfce if I use glxgears I optain 4200 fps, with the free drivers 1300 fps (they are +/- 3.5 x less powerful). and I obtain 380 fsp with the free drivers on gnome.

With a intel hd 2000 (HM65 chip) I obtain 750 fsp on Xfce and 200 fsp on gnome.

Gnome seems to need a lot of resources. Free drivers ati / intel have great difficulty for providing enough power.

Gnome, cinnamon, mate on laptop require the proprietary drivers to be pleasant to use.

I suspect simply the ati free drivers, and perhaps Intel, from consume 3.5 x more energy for the same fsp that proprietary drivers, which causes overheating of the gpu, fan noise, all for poor results.

Under xfce it works, without 3D and not fluid video. I have experimented the HTML 5 on youtube, but it does not change the problem. I do not like chrome … I use firefox.

The rpm compiles, but not properly for the new kernel.

Good day to you.

Everything seems ok at this point, thank you.

If it was so easy, you wouldn’t have opened a thread with the title “Ati fglrx drivers not work on Radeon 6470M”, would you? So obviously there must have been something you couldn’t do or understand by yourself at some point.

Actually I don’t even think its that now – something you say later on, combined with what you mentioned earlier on made me think of something else… more on that in a second

I have experimented the HTML 5 on youtube, but it does not change the problem.
okay … what I say below will apply to this area as well

I do not like chrome … I use firefox.
well, I can’t say that I don’t like chrome (actually I use chromium, if complete disclosure matters), but I too like FF and use it as my primary browser.

Now about that/those graphics perfomance issues of yours:

But I have a another clue :

On ati proprietary drivers with xfce if I use glxgears I optain 4200 fps, with the free drivers 1300 fps (they are +/- 3.5 x less powerful). and I obtain 380 fsp with the free drivers on gnome.

With a intel hd 2000 (HM65 chip) I obtain 750 fsp on Xfce and 200 fsp on gnome.

Gnome seems to need a lot of resources. Free drivers ati / intel have great difficulty for providing enough power.

Gnome, cinnamon, mate on laptop require the proprietary drivers to be pleasant to use.

I suspect simply the ati free drivers, and perhaps Intel, from consume 3.5 x more energy for the same fsp that proprietary drivers, which causes overheating of the gpu, fan noise, all for poor results.

Under xfce it works, without 3D and not fluid video.

The rpm compiles, but not properly for the new kernel.
glxgears is not a benchmark (for a number of reasons), particularly in the way that you are using it here, or having lead you to the conclusions that you’ve formed. However, it (glxgears) is useful, in some respects, for highlighting if GL is working properly. I told you earlier, in regards to the Intel performance, that there is some issue. What you just provided reinforces that belief and also gave me an idea as to what is going on.

First, glxgears with the OSS drivers will synch to the monitor’s refresh rate – in both gnome and KDE I get 60fps. The prop drivers don’t report as such i.e. vsynch is off, and so the fps is up in the thousands on modern adapters. But the same can be done with the OSS drivers if you so choose (use “vblank_mode=0 glxgears”)… with such, I get ~1700fps on a 4xxx radeon in gnome and ~2300 on a 6xxx series radeon not so much different than your own.

However, you aren’t even reporting the 60fps … which leads me to believe that you ran with the vsynch off in the first place or, the synch (and consequently the “score”) is impacted by what I suspect is your graphics problem: I highly suspect you’re using LLVM for rendering !!

Will pick this up in a short bit

Okay, I don’t remember exactly what my train of thought was before I had to step away for a bit. But anyway:

Try running “LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxgears” and “glxgears -info” for both the OSS drivers under gnome, and see what is reported as being used … I’m expecting to see llvmpipe, which would explain the terrible performance and high cpu.

If this is the case, I’m wondering if you have a permissions problem…which might also explain why the prop driver doesn’t seem to run.

Under xfce it works, without 3D and not fluid video.
Sorry, I didn’t follow with which driver that was with.