ATI fglrx driver...Repo or RPM

Hi all,

I was just reviewing the Lizard regarding the installation of Catalyst drivers from the repo
openSUSE Lizards

I’ve traditionally downloaded the Catalyst driver from the ati site, made an rpm per ATI instructions and installed that way.

Are there any advantages to doing things one way or the other? I know that using the rpm method, most video players (XBMC, VLC player etc) didn’t detect hardware rending so I built a custom Mplayer that seemed to do the trick.

Thougts?

i believe the ATI repo has rpm’s that should be exactly like what you would build yourself since they are done the same way, this is a bit different than in the past when a kernel module (kmp) was built and available.

i haven’t heard the reason for dropping the kmp module, perhaps someone could enlighten us both.

I always build an rpm using the instructions more or less per the AMD site (from the downloaded .run file). This is often called the ‘manual’ way or the ‘hard way (that is not hard)’ The advantage of that is you obtain the driver as soon as it is available. Often one has to wait some time before the repository variant appears. Sometimes when there is a new kernel and neither version (AMD site nor repository) there may be ‘hacks’ one can try to get the AMD .run variant to run/build, where as there is no repository version.

An advantage of the ‘repository’ method is if one is careful with one’s repositories, it is possible one can just click to install one’s kernel, and everything is updated automatically (kernel and driver) with no extra effort. However from what I have read it does not always go that smooth.

This method is fine, as it will download and install the kernel sources if they are missing:

# zypper in fglrx_xpic_SUSE114
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

**The following NEW packages are going to be installed:**
  fglrx_xpic_SUSE114 **gcc kernel-default-devel kernel-desktop-devel kernel-devel kernel-pae-devel kernel-source kernel-syms 
  kernel-xen-devel make 
10 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 117.3 MiB. After the operation, additional 513.0 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y): 

But it might fail to uninstall a previously installed x11-video-fglrxG02 due to the bug I worked around here: Upgrading ATI driver with atiupgrade - Page 7 - if that bug hasn’t been fixed (which I don’t know). If you find yourself in such a situation X won’t start until you overwrite the orphan link.

Also you don’t need to reboot without radeon to compile the module and install the driver. But you should better reboot right after.

Thanks to all for their helpful suggestions and advice!