ATI Driver

I was trying to install/upgrade my ATI driver on my old install of openSUSE, but I had to reinstall openSUSe due to too many repositories.

I have Radeon X800 graphics card.

Am I right by assuming I have to do the following

Add the X11 : xorg repository. By typing in terminal…
su
zypper ar Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.2 newrepository

And then… doing this…

Then go to YaST > Software > Software Management and add the “newrepository” versions of Mesa, xorg-x11-driver-input, xorg-x11-driver-video, and xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd

I know that there is already a thread talking about this between oldcpu and me, but, I’m double checking and making sure I’m not doing anything I’m not supposed to do, such as installing and adding things I shouldn’t.

?

lots of things have changed recently in the ATI game, see:
openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users
http://tinyurl.com/ydggvdw

palladium

I assume this is openSUSE-11.2. Its VERY IMPORANT you specify that, because that is NOT applicable for previous openSUSE versions.

Now, what you post is my understanding for openSUSE-11.2. Ensure after updating those applications that you disable that repository afterward.

Don’t install any more applications than you need, although note if you are using a 64-bit openSUSE-11.2 that you may have a few extra rpms installed as dependencies in addition to those.

Also, be certain you actually INSTALL those applications. Many new (and even average) users totally get confused there and show they do not know how to use YaST to update software from different repositories. After adding the repository, you need to go to YaST > Software > Software Management and select “repositories”, select on the left the repository " Xorg : X11 " and then ensure the “version” tab is selected so you can see the versions, and then select for update all of the applications/rpms noted (Mesa, xorg-x11-driver-input, xorg-x11-driver-video, and xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd) . Pay careful attention to ensure you clicked on the small circle next to the application to be updated.

If I had 100 euros for each time a user messed this up (and stated they did it proper) I would be able to buy a new car. :slight_smile: (I currently do not own a car :frowning: ).

This is what happens when I try yo update.

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt175/milob3/mesa.png

And yes sorry, it is 11.2 64bit

Go for the vendor change.

edit - ie install the libdm and xorg-x11-libxcb from the Xorg : X11 repos with the vendor change