in my laptop I am using a Belkin F5D7010E wireless card. From my experience with opensuse 10.3, I believe to know that it is build with an Atheros 5005G chipset. It worked with suse 10.3 and a 5005G driver.
During the installation of suse 11.0, a driver for the 5005G chipset was installed (Yast reports AR2413 802.11bg NIC) and the firmware seems to run.
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
iwlist scan delivers
wlan0 No scan results
I am sure that the card is working (booting another OS, everything works fine).
Here now my question: What is wrong ? Why doesn’t the card find the signal under suse 11.0 ?
Thanks in advance for your help
What does dmesg have to say?
OK, I executed dmesg, but it delivers tons of output. In order not to explode this forum I uploaded the output to a server. You can look at it under the following link:
I hope this is convenient.
Thanks for your help
> OK, I executed dmesg, but it delivers tons of output. In order not to
> explode this forum I uploaded the output to a server. You can look at it
> under the following link:
> I hope this is convenient.
The critical section is as follows:
ath5k_pci 0000:02:00.0: registered as ‘phy0’
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm ‘pid’
ath5k phy0: Atheros AR5213A chip found (MAC: 0x78, PHY: 0x45)
ath5k phy0: RF2112A 2GHz radio found (0x56)
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
ath5k phy0: failed to wakeup the MAC Chip
ath5k phy0: can’t reset hardware (-5)
pccard: card ejected from slot 0
It appears that the ath5k driver does not support the AR5213A.
Please post these lines to email@example.com. The Atheros experts
hang out there.
I got an error message, the address
delivers permanent errors !?
That is a valid E-Mail address. What errors are you getting?
OK sorry, my fault. As I am just setting up the new suse distro, I haven’t got my kmail configured yet. I used a webmail interface. The diagnostic code says: Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 Content-Policy reject msg: The message contains HTML subpart, therefore we consider it SPAM or Outlook Virus. TEXT/PLAIN is accepted.!
I’ll try again with kmail.
As I was looking for a rather stable solution and I have not so much time to experiment, I decided to step back to the madwifi drivers.
The yast repository for suse 11.0 can be found here Additional YaST Package Repositories - openSUSE
as well as a HOWTO.
The crucial point is that the ath5K should be disabled by inserting a blacklist ath5k in the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. After installation of the madwifi driver, configuration in yast and restart of the system, my good old belkin card is back to life.
Thanks anyhow to Larry and Nick (via the vger.kernel.org mailing list) for their help.