Hello, help a sound noob in linux make himself a nice Christmas present! So, got a nice audio card the D2X and now the Yamaha RX-V675 receiver hooked to my 4.1 Logitech Z560 till I get some nice speakers.
What I think I would like:
-make use of the soundcard via optical (it is a hybrid connector on D2X with adapter for the optical) for music and sound in games and for the system sounds;
-maybe switch audio to hdmi when playing certain movies as the receiver has a ton of options for decoding.
- Let me understand - all decoding in such a case (optical connection) will be done only by the receiver? This says that can be only partly also alsa.opensrc.org . What is the proper course of action to identify the problem?
- The only thing that works is the HDMI from my Asus Radeon HD9650. Got a red light on the optical link but now it is gone so it’s not working or what? How to enable the link again? Who/what exactly disables this? I mean when (I guess) I am telling the system to enable it in pavucontrol.
- Using Kmix and pavucontrol; kmix is kind of retarded. Pavucontrol works fine and shows me through it’s ugly sliders that I got sound, on anything, in any configuration, on the soundcard and the videocard’s HDMI.
- Both HDMI and IEC958 are marked in Kmix and pavucontrol as “Stereo” are they really only stereo or not?
- What do I have to do to make the receiver emit any sound via optical (no problems with the speakers, setups, cables and such; have at least 2 of each kind and swapped the hell out of them)?
Some info (the motherboards soundcard is disabled):
- in alsamixer everything is unmutted;
- aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: D2X [Xonar D2X], device 0: Multichannel [Multichannel] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: D2X [Xonar D2X], device 1: Digital [Digital] Subdevices: 0/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0] Subdevices: 0/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
- aplay -L
null Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture) default Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server) sysdefault:CARD=D2X Xonar D2X, Multichannel Default Audio Device front:CARD=D2X,DEV=0 Xonar D2X, Multichannel Front speakers surround40:CARD=D2X,DEV=0 Xonar D2X, Multichannel 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers surround41:CARD=D2X,DEV=0 Xonar D2X, Multichannel 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers surround50:CARD=D2X,DEV=0 Xonar D2X, Multichannel 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers surround51:CARD=D2X,DEV=0 Xonar D2X, Multichannel 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers surround71:CARD=D2X,DEV=0 Xonar D2X, Multichannel 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers iec958:CARD=D2X,DEV=0 Xonar D2X, Multichannel IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0 HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0 HDMI Audio Output
0 [D2X ]: AV200 - Xonar D2X Asus Virtuoso 200 at 0xb800, irq 17 1 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic HD-Audio Generic at 0xfe9bc000 irq 54
Let’s make it a step-by-step guide as I didn’t found anything “recent-pulseaudio” I mean not from Jurassic era on this one (if you did, the links are highly appreciated).