ASUS U38N black screen with radeon driver

Hello all.

I have an ASUS U38N, and have a problem when using the open source radeon driver. When attempting to use the radeon driver, by editing out nomodeset on the boot options, I get a blank screen on the laptop display. External monitors work, but the laptop display is still blank.

When I use fglrx, everything works fine.

This problem has annoyed me for a long time. It has persisted across installations of various Linux distributions. For the past year and a half, I have attempted to solve the issue but have always come up empty on Google. However, I believe I finally found something that may be relevant to the issue. This bug report, https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73530, appears to regard the bug I face. Near the end of the comments is a patch that seems to fix the issue.

How do I apply this patch? I realize this patch may not be specific to openSUSE. I have no expertise on this issue, and would appreciate some help.

Well, then use fglrx… :wink:

How do I apply this patch? I realize this patch may not be specific to openSUSE. I have no expertise on this issue, and would appreciate some help.

You would need to compile the kernel yourself with this patch applied.
Basically you’d download/install the kernel sources (package kernel-source in openSUSE), apply the patch (cd into /usr/src/linux/ and run “patch -p1 <xxx.patch”), configure the kernel (“make oldconfig”), then build (“make”) and install (“make install”) it. But you’d also need to build the modules in this case I suppose. I might even have forgotten a step, it’s been years that I compiled a kernel on my local machine…

Instead of “make”, you apparently could also run “make rpm” to create an rpm package which you can install afterwards.
See also:

If you want to, I could build a kernel with this patch on OBS for you. That’s what I normally do these days when wanting to try out a patch or use a customized kernel…
What openSUSE/Kernel version are you using?

I see. Thank you! The reason I don’t want to use fglrx is that I would prefer to use Gnome, but can’t because fgrlx is incompatible.

I appreciate your offer to build the kernel, but I think it would be a good experience to compile the kernel myself.

Thanks again for the help!

Another approach may be to report this is a bug on the openSUSE kernel, and then point to the upstream DRI/Radeon bug report as the possibly identified fix. That may increase the probability of it being backported into an openSUSE kernel.

jcjchang wrote:

>
> wolfi323;2710160 Wrote:

<snip>

>> If you want to, I could build a kernel with this patch on OBS for you.
>> That’s what I normally do these days when wanting to try out a patch or
>> use a customized kernel…
>> What openSUSE/Kernel version are you using?
>
> I see. Thank you! The reason I don’t want to use fglrx is that I would
> prefer to use Gnome, but can’t because fgrlx is incompatible.

Have you tried the GDM patch that is recommended with the fglrx rpm after
install but before reboot?

I seem to remember that the latest from Sebastion has a fix but it needs to
be done after install but before reboot.

Sorry cannot try it here as I do not have an ATI card anymore.

The only article I can find about it is from April on his site ( German )
google does a ner decent jop of translating but not good enough for my poor
understanding, there may be other sites with a better explanation though but
cannot find any at the moment.

https://www.sebastian-siebert.de/

HTH

Mark
Nullus in verba
Caveat emptor
Nil illigitimi carborundum

Can you direct me in reporting the bug?

I’ll try taking a look, thanks.

There is guidance here:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

You can use your openSUSE forum username and password when logging on to bugzilla.