Asus RT-N16 with dd-wrt operating system installed.

Just a note that may be of interest.

Just installed the above router with:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega Firmware (Linux based)

All is working fine over my 100 MBS fibre network.

Russ


openSUSE 12.3(Linux 3.7.10-1.1-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.10.2
“release 553”|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce
8400GS(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.32)

Thank you very much for the info :slight_smile:

  1. Does it give any performance improvement over the standard firmware ?
  2. What is the upgrade procedure to follow ?

On 04/23/2013 08:26 AM, glistwan wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for the info :slight_smile:
> 1. Does it give any performance improvement over the standard firmware
> ?
> 2. What is the upgrade procedure to follow ?

These questions should be pursued on the dd-wrt web site. It has nothing to do
with openSUSE!

Well, dd-wrt is linux. So, it has to do with opensuse. Where I think you are right: it should not be in a network-thread. But in General Chit Chat IMO it would be fine. My impression is that quite some of the users here would be interested in results of dd-wrt-ing a router of this or that brand.

I do not know this one. But dd-wrt-ing another, cheaper Linksys router brought better performance, 100% more functionality (even openVPN support) and a better security setting.

  1. the update procedure is equal with all models (but some ASUS have special problems, so this post is quite interesting). You follow 30-30-30 procedure that is also mentioned in the dd-wrt howtos. If you forget that you brick the router. And brick it means what it says.

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 02:45:43 +0000, Upscope wrote:

> Just a note that may be of interest.
>
> Just installed the above router with:
>
> DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega Firmware (Linux based)
>
> All is working fine over my 100 MBS fibre network.
>
> Russ

This thread doesn’t have anything to do with openSUSE - it’ll be moved to
general chit chat.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

This move is now completed.

Jim, how come that I feel also so confident and cosy when you move things. lol!

So the hardware vendor won’t fix it on guarantee if the worst comes to the worst ? :slight_smile:

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 04:06:02 +0000, glistwan wrote:

>> 2) the update procedure is equal with all models (but some ASUS have
>> special problems, so this post is quite interesting). You follow
>> 30-30-30 procedure that is also mentioned in the dd-wrt howtos. If you
>> forget that you brick the router. And brick it means what it says.
> So the hardware vendor won’t fix it on guarantee if the worst comes to
> the worst ? :slight_smile:

Generally, no - replacing the firmware with unofficial firmware voids the
warranty.

Which is an excellent reason to purchase a refurbished router with a
relatively short limited warranty anyways if you’re going to use
alternative firmware.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Yes and another thing is: you may opt for a really cheap model that with dd-wrt has much more functionality. So IF you brick it…it comes less hefty when it is the moment to pay one’s dues. But my experience is: if it is the first firware install on that router, you do not have a power interruption during update (which can be your dog, your child or your angry wife/girlfriend because supper is ready since quite some time) then the first install is fairly easy if you follow the advices given in dd-wrt. And, in general, it is possible to bring it back to vendor firmware in the (admittetly improbable) case that you do not like the new firmware (always after 30-30-30).

glistwan wrote:

>
> Thank you very much for the info :slight_smile:
> 1. Does it give any performance improvement over the standard firmware
It seems a little fast and more stable than my old router. I did not use
it with the standard software, my vendor automatically replaces the
stand with dd-wrt. Since its Linux based, it should also be much more
secure and it has alot more flexability.
> 2. What is the upgrade procedure to follow ?
The procedure is describe on the dd-wrt website. Sounds relivity easy if
you follow the steps.


http://dd-wrt.com/site/index

>
I did change my access from PPPOE to DHCP. Steps were:

  1. turn off wireless option (I run hardwire to fiber optics
    network (100mbs).

  2. Tell it to use DHCP Automatic

  3. Done, hooked right to my ISP who had prior setup the
    authorization for the router.

On my wifes Win7 machine I just moved the plug from old router to new
one and Done.

The NAT firewall also has enhanced capablilites also.

One thing I learned from my supplier, you can plug a thumb drive into
the usb port and have the router logging stored there for future
reference.

So far its been a good investment. The dd-wrt software is free. Also
available for many other routers, see the above webpage.

Russ

openSUSE 12.3(Linux 3.7.10-1.1-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.10.2
“release 556”|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce
8400GS(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.32)

Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 02:45:43 +0000, Upscope wrote:
>
>> Just a note that may be of interest.
>>
>> Just installed the above router with:
>>
>> DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega Firmware (Linux based)
>>
>> All is working fine over my 100 MBS fibre network.
>>
>> Russ
>
> This thread doesn’t have anything to do with openSUSE - it’ll be moved
> to general chit chat.
>
> Jim
I don’t mind this being moved to chit-chat, I posted it here because I
wasn’t sure where to post it. It does have to do with openSUSE in that i
was not able to find any talk about it running on 12.3.

Also when i seach for the chit chat newsgroup I don’t find it unless it
has a different name. Is it only on the Forum?

Thanks

Russ

openSUSE 12.3(Linux 3.7.10-1.1-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.10.2
“release 556”|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce
8400GS(NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.32)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 07:26:01 +0000, stakanov wrote:

> dd-wrt has much more functionality. So IF you brick it…it comes less
> hefty when it is the moment to pay one’s dues.

I have personal experience with that (I use openWRT, though). Bricked a
$150 router that was supposed to be very difficult to brick. I bricked
it a couple years after purchase (so it would have been out of warranty
anyways), but D-Link actually wouldn’t tell me via e-mail what the cost
was to do a non-warranty reflash of it.

> But my experience is: if
> it is the first firware install on that router, you do not have a power
> interruption during update (which can be your dog, your child or your
> angry wife/girlfriend because supper is ready since quite some time)
> then the first install is fairly easy if you follow the advices given in
> dd-wrt. And, in general, it is possible to bring it back to vendor
> firmware in the (admittetly improbable) case that you do not like the
> new firmware (always after 30-30-30).

Depends on the router - the 30-30-30 fix doesn’t always work, because
it’s specific to specific routers.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

The procedure is describe on the dd-wrt website. Sounds relivity easy if
you follow the steps.


http://dd-wrt.com/site/index

>
I did change my access from PPPOE to DHCP. Steps were:
1. turn off wireless option (I run hardwire to fiber optics
network (100mbs).

    2. Tell it to use DHCP Automatic

    3. Done, hooked right to my ISP who had prior setup the 

authorization for the router.

On my wifes Win7 machine I just moved the plug from old router to new
one and Done.

The NAT firewall also has enhanced capablilites also.

One thing I learned from my supplier, you can plug a thumb drive into
the usb port and have the router logging stored there for future
reference.

So far its been a good investment. The dd-wrt software is free. Also
available for many other routers, see the above webpage.

Russ

I don’t mind this being moved to chit-chat, I posted it on network because I
wasn’t sure where to post it. It does have to do with openSUSE in that i
was not able to find any talk about it running on 12.3.

Also when i seach for the chit chat newsgroup I don’t find it unless it
has a different name. Is it only on the Forum?

Thanks

Russ

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 16:26:01 +0000, upscope wrote:

> I don’t mind this being moved to chit-chat, I posted it on network
> because I wasn’t sure where to post it. It does have to do with openSUSE
> in that i was not able to find any talk about it running on 12.3.

dd-wrt provides a full Linux kernel, so if you were thinking in terms of
virtualization, then the virtualization forum would be the best place.
But dd-wrt and similar alternative router firmwares don’t “run on 12.3”
directly, because they are their own kernel. They can be built for x86,
though (I’ve done that with openWRT myself).

> Also when i seach for the chit chat newsgroup I don’t find it unless it
>
> has a different name. Is it only on the Forum?

I don’t understand what you mean. This group on the web interface is
under the English non-support forums. On NNTP, it’s opensuse.org.no-
support.general-chit-chat.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:57:25 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

> I don’t understand what you mean. This group on the web interface is
> under the English non-support forums. On NNTP, it’s opensuse.org.no-
> support.general-chit-chat.

Now I see that you had posted via NNTP. Also, when a note is made that a
thread has been moved, please do not reply to it via NNTP - that creates
a lot more work for the staff to get the messages all in one place.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C