Assign IP Address To open Suse new VM

Hi Everyone

How to assign ip address to new installed Open suse VM.

I have created a VMware VM Open Suse machine with .iso image.

now the ifconfig command shows this output.

inet addr : 127.0.0.1 mask: 255.0.0.0

Please suggest me.

Thank You in advance.

Vijay

Welcome to openSUSE Forums! I don’t use VMware (using VirtualBox instead), but assuming you’ve set the network up as bridged (on host), then you can configure the openSUSE guest network using YaST > System > Network Settings (as with openSUSE running on a physical machine).

Hello and welcome here.

We have a special Virtalization subforum whwre people knnowing about this branch of science are eager to help you. I will move this thread there.

Also, we have to t ell each new member:
Please in the future use CODE tags around copied/pasted computer text in a post. It is the # button in the tool bar of the post editor. When applicable copy/paste complete, that is including the prompt, the command, the output and the next prompt.
Thus refrain from story telling like :the ifconfig commands shows …", because the command is already in the copied/pasted part.

This thread is CLOSED for the moment during the move.

Moved from Install/Boot/Login and open again.

please paste the url of that open again thread. thanks.

The URL of what?

i thought you have moved this thread to some other topic with the forum …

Yes, this thread is now in Virtualization and not anymore in Install/Boot/Login.
What is the problem? You found it and posted in it. Everybody can see it in the Virtalization forum and read it and post in it.

This useless conversation is poluting your thread. I hope people will come and give suggestions on your technical problem soon.

here is ifconfig -a command output.

susel :~ # ifconfig -a
10 Link encaszocal Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inets addr: ::1/128 Scope:l-|ost
UP LODPBMK mums 1111:1636 "atrial
RX packets:1912 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1912 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelenzo
RX bytes:115098 (112.4 Kb) TX bytes:115098 (112.4 Kb)

sitB Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
NOARP MTU:1400 Metric:1
RX packetszo errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame
TX packetszo errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisionszo txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

suse10:~ #

Did you read my reply (post #2)yet?

I see you have the same discussion going on at Linux Questions

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/suse-opensuse-60/assign-ip-address-to-open-suse-new-vm-4175583410

and you are nearly sorted there is would seem.

thanks everyone.

my problem is now resolved.

bye thanks . i will keep reading other posts.

Tidying up this thread,
Appears that the OP first wasn’t connected to a network or wasn’t communicating with a DHCP server so had no network configuration,
Then was connected but assigned a Class B private address which suggests that the machine was not easily routable from another network (but of course can be accessed by another machine on the same private network).
Then, there was a suggestion to re-configure the network adapter to use a bridging network adapter which of course if DHCP is running should enable the machine to be accessible on the physical network.

TSU