Applications to big for small screen

Hello

i’ve installed opensuse 13.1 on a netbook of screensiz ca. 10’’.

some windows of applications are to big, thus some buttons are just not visible of the applicaitons.
And i cannot move the windows more to the top, because it is allready in the top position.

suggestions?

with regards

What desktop are you using? KDE, Gnome, …?

its KDE,

and i dont know how to check what screenresolution i have. it doesnt appear in the desktop properties

Hold the Alt key and click on somewhere in the window, you can then drag them further to the top even when the title bar is at the top already.

What applications is this actually about?
KDE applications should automatically show scroll bars if they don’t fit to the screen.
Maybe try double clicking on the titlebar to maximize the window (which would actually make it smaller if it is bigger than the screen).

“Configure Desktop”->“Display and Monitor”->“Configure Display”. There are 3 bottons there, the right one allows you to set the resolution when you click on it.
But if it’s just a 10" Display it likely will have a relatively small resolution. Not much you can do there I’m afraid.

Wolfi:

Just a thought …

Maybe his desktop size is set larger than his screen size?

How would that be possible?

Anyway, most of the things I wrote should apply to this case as well, except for the “Maximize”.

the application is a visualization application, runned via an university server.

ah now i see the screen resolution, but only i i hit the blue information button, did not realize that before.

apparently the ALT drag works fine, such as desired. Dont know why i did not realize this. It might be that i had a similar issue years ago and did not solve it

anyway thanks, i’m ashamed for asking such a simple problem

but why we still on this topic, is there a possibility to have a bigger virtual screen size than the real screen size itself? like where i could use some key-kombinations to move that screen?

regards

So probably not a KDE application.

GTK apps f.e. do not show scroll bars automatically if the window is too small for its content. The unfitting stuff is just cut off.
But that’s not the problem in your case anyway, as in your case the whole window is larger than the screen, and is not completely visible.

apparently the ALT drag works fine, such as desired. Dont know why i did not realize this. It might be that i had a similar issue years ago and did not solve it

You can also right-click on the window title bar or the taskbar entry, and choose “More Actions”->Move.

but why we still on this topic, is there a possibility to have a bigger virtual screen size than the real screen size itself? like where i could use some key-kombinations to move that screen?

Yes. Either via the xorg.conf or xrandr.
But you would have to setup that manually.
And whether it’s possible at all depends on your graphics card and driver.

See here f.e.:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Panning_viewport

Running this works fine on my system and (immediately) gives me a 2048x2048 virtual screen on my 1280x1024 display that scrolls when I move the mouse:

xrandr --output VGA-0 --fb 2048x2048 --panning 2048x2048

You have to adapt the output at least though, call “xrandr” without parameters to find out.

Or use the “Virtual” option inside an xorg.conf or xorg.conf.d snippet. But you may have to disable kscreen for that.

… it was just a late-night thought, and I figured if anyone knew how to set a desktop size larger than the monitor screen, it would be you.

Hm. The only thing that would cause something like this would be wrong monitor settings (on the monitor itself) I suppose.
At least I don’t know of a way how to set that up in software.
But I guess the application’s title bar would not be at the top position of the screen then… :wink: