Applications don't show up in menus after installing with zypper

Whenever I install an application with Zypper in the terminal, they don’t show up in the menus. I don’t know how to fix this. I installed Audacious and another application, not in the menu. Tried with a few others as well, they’re not in the menus either. I tried rebooting as well. Any help with this?

Regards.

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220221
KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.90.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.16.10-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD OLAND

In general it depends of course if an application program is one that is intended to be available in an end-user’s Desktop menu (many are not). But you mention Audacious and that one should be IMHO. We can of course not comment on others where you do not give names.

I assume you installed the audacious package from the standard OSS repo. When you look (e.g. with YaST > Software > Software Management, audacious in the Search field, select it at right and use the File List tab at the bottom), you see that it has e.g. a .desktop file, thus I assume it is intended to be in the manu after installation.

I do have audacious installed, I assume already long ago (do not know if it was installed by default, or by me later, in any case, the system was upgraded to newer openSUSE versions several times since) and I find it in Main menu > Multimedia > Audacious. So basically it seems to work like you and I expect.

Also, my experience is that there is not need to reboot, not even to logout/login. It is there for a end-user in the seat direct after installation.

I do not inform you that it works here to make you envious, but because it means that we must search for something that is special for your installation/configuration.

Did you try if a new created user also does not have it?

Maybe I was being incompetent or it sorted itself after leaving the system running for a day, but applications I installed are now in the menus. Flatpaks also now show up though the flatpak icons in the menus don’t show up until after a reboot or a user logout/login. I would have deleted this thread, but I don’t see a way to do that.

Thank you for responding, I appreciate you taking the time to help out here.

Regards.

Nice it works.

I do not know about Flatpak. In any case, as Flatpak only install in the space of a single user, that will not show in other user’s menus.

And no, you can not delete threads, This might be of interest to others.