Appliance upgrade from 12.3 to 13.1 hangs at boot

Hi,

I upgraded one of my instances from openSuSE 12.3 to 13.1, and after that it doesn’t boot in any format (ovf, iso, vmware/xen,openstack). They always get hang at “Booting System:”, and I have no idea on how to debug this, any ideas on maybe kernel params that I could try for example ?. A clean openSUSE 13.1 instance starts fine so something should have gone wrong during the automatice version upgrade process.

Can you explain if a you see the grub boot menu
When I did an in place upgrade of 12.3 > 13.1 the menu still read 12.3 but that is down to a config file, the system did boot 13.1
My suggestion would be to use a 13.1 install media DVD (it must be either x86 or _64 to match your actual install)
Then use the DVD rescue to chroot your installed system and re-run the grub install. Like this
https://forums.opensuse.org/content.php/128-re-install-grub2-dvd-rescue.html

Yes I get the grub menu with the two usual entries: boot openSUSE ans boot failsafe.

I don’t think this is the case as the menu entries state version 13.1.

The problem is not that I can’t install but that the generated instance from susestudio.com don’t boot. It makes (appart from debugging) no sense to have to fix the installation with another cd each time I install. Besides I don’t think the problem is with grub as the selected OS starts booting but hangs later after having loaded up the kernel and detected hdd partitions, then the “Booting system:” message appears and boot process hangs there. Perhaps maybe a systemd problem ?