Apple notebooks and linux

I hope, i really do, that there will be no responds like ‘apple doh’. :slight_smile:

Ok, i just have some essential questions. I play with the thougth to buy a apple notebook. From the money it will be more the ibook then the pro.
But more to the point. How well does Linux work on an Apple notebook.
Since it is based on Linux (Apple)_i would assume that there are no problems. But i just want to make sure.

I hope there are some Apple people here that can tell.

Thank you very much.

Apple, doh!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a joke… :wink:

Just for my curiosity, why an apple to run linux on it ?

I thought Apple’s OS was based on BSD, not Linux. BSD, being a strain of Unix, as Linux was evolved from a strain of Unix are likely to share a great many traits, but not necessarily interchangeable.

Hi there,

The iBook / MacBooks are (generally) very well supported under Linux. They use very common chipsets for the motherboard, graphics, sound, wireless, NIC, etc. so most often things work pretty well just out of the box. However, do make sure you look at the specific model you want to buy and see if there are going to be any surprises. I believe Apple’s Bootcamp is still the route to take for a dual boot OS X / Linux set up, unless that has changed.

Of course, you can also just run OS X as the primary OS and then run Linux distros, Windows, Solaris, or most anything else you want, at the same time using VirtualBox which is a fantastically easy to use virtualization tool. That will most certainly work.

Cheers,
Lews Therin

Well, i like the hardware and the software. Used to have an Apple a long time ago, but switched to PC mainly for gaming.
Anyway, yes i guess its correct. BSD as not the same as Linux. But somewhat similar.

I just like to run Linux even then, since i like Linux as my general OS.

Keep OSX installed and get VMWare Fusion so you can run Linux in a VM.

knowing how Apple does things (very well, but it must be THEIR way)
you might want to have your attorney go though the warranty to see if
you can install Linux on the machine without voiding the guarantee…

i really doubt that you can…

so, a VM might be the only logical way to use Linux on it until the
machine is old enough to no longer be in warranty…

just saying . . .

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

BootCamp supports installing other than just Windows - however you can install Linux on a MacBook/iMac/Mac Pro as you would install it on a normal machine with a few necessary changes (like boot loader).

Most of the components work out of the box, some might need additional drivers. MBP Dual GPU might be an issue like on other laptops.

For me apple netbooks are very expensive and useless. Mac os has unix kernel such as linux. In my opinion if you want to install opensuse or other linux distro it will be better to install to other laptop for example sony vaio, hp etc.

They’re ugly.

I have not laptop my brother has one with linux monomachos. Anyway these pcs have a “closesource” linux as their operating system. So as @DaaX said

why an apple to run linux on it ?

It wouldn’t surprise me. Just for curiosity, is it the same warranty policy for Dell, HP for example ?

I refer to price. It is expensive to buy a mac pc to install linux. Of cource you can install linux in a normal pc such as Dell, hp, sony vaio. It is unnecessary costs.

If someone want’s to spend their money on an Apple notebook and then run Linux on it - who cares? It’s their money. Pointing out to them that “it is not worth the money” is rather silly.

There are also some instances where getting a Mac may make perfect sense - my wife uses Photoshop CS4, which will not run under Wine, nor CS5. So her options are to run it under Windows (yuck), or on a Mac, or use a Hackintosh / OSX in Virtualbox solution - which is actually a bit of a pain (though possible). In these cases, the easiest thing is to just get an iBook or MacBook, set it up for dual boot or VMware Fusion, and you are good to go.

But really, saying the OP is wrong for wanting to spend his money on the notebook of his choice is a bit silly.

Well, i gave up on debating whats better or not.
One can make a cold calculation, others make it on style or well…

The point was, if and how you dual boot and if its painful.
I am pleased to hear that it works like it does with my PC. Bootcamp or VM.
Thats good news.

The point about the licence is a good point indeed. Thanks Denver. :slight_smile:
I actually did not even consider it. I always assume its mine.>:)