Apper's Check For Distribution Upgrades not working

yeah but why does something like Ubuntu offer easier dist upgrades?
I dist upgraded Ubuntu many times and it rarely gave me big hiccups.
Sure once or twice it wouldnt work but that was from things like unity.
openSUSE doesnt have nonesense like that, it uses standard stuff like KDE or gnome.
there should be easier ways to keep the system going, thats all that I am saying without the need to manually edit repos or download a new image each time.

On 2013-11-29 21:46, MadmanRB wrote:

> yeah but why does something like Ubuntu offer easier dist upgrades?

Let Ubuntu be Ubuntu. This is not Ubuntu.

> there should be easier ways to keep the system going, thats all that I
> am saying without the need to manually edit repos or download a new
> image each time.

I don’t agree.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

So are you saying an OS should be hard to upgrade, with loads of commandline, editing config files and general stuff like that?
Seems that way.

On 2013-11-29 22:36, MadmanRB wrote:
>
> So are you saying an OS should be hard to upgrade, with loads of
> commandline, editing config files and general stuff like that?
> Seems that way.

I don’t find that hard at all. That’s the easy part, as a matter of
fact. If you are not able to handle that on your own, don’t even think
of upgrading.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Hi all. :slight_smile:

Well, it’s been a year now. I suppose a distro upgrade notification is still not available… can anyone confrm that to me?

I also suppose that even PackageKit’s upgrade notification system is still not implemented in openSUSE’s zypp backend, right?

I’ve been thinking in what was said here as well… Apper could just call the terminal to perform the desired steps. Also, such feature could be disabled by default and enable only if user chosed to… (honestely, if i knew how, i would code it myself. I don’t think such a feature would take more than 2hours of a suse’s experienced coder)

Thanks. It’s been good to revisit this forum, full of nice people

This is correct, yes.

I also suppose that even PackageKit’s upgrade notification system is still not implemented in openSUSE’s zypp backend, right?

Also correct.

I’ve been thinking in what was said here as well… Apper could just call the terminal to perform the desired steps. Also, such feature could be disabled by default and enable only if user chosed to… (honestely, if i knew how, i would code it myself. I don’t think such a feature would take more than 2hours of a suse’s experienced coder)

No, Apper could not do that, as Apper is a distribution-agnostic application.
It relies for all its functions on PackageKit, which in turn has backends for every (well, most at least) distribution/package management system out there.

Implement this in PackageKit-backend-zypp and Apper will be able to do it, but also GNOME’s updater and other PackageKit frontends.
AFAIK this is not even planned though.