Apper vs zypper up - apper crashes

No! Unless you enabled the wrong repos. I think you have pulled a partial quote from its context, so here is my original comment:

After new Tumbleweed started, I returned to using higher priorities for packman repos (i.e. lower numbers) e.g. 85, with the two main Tumbleweed repos at default priority 99 (I don’t have Update repos enabled yet, since they are for a rare emergency).

Tumbleweed now has two main repos; Oss and Non-oss which are regularly updated with snapshots from the development process. That’s different from the standard openSUSE release which has additional Update repos.

With Tumbleweed, DO NOT enable the standard release’s main repos or Update repos.

However there does exist at least one (possibly two) empty Tumbleweed update repos for future unspecified emergencies, where an update cannot wait for a regular snapshot. It hasn’t happened so far and is unlikely but not impossible. BTW, I’m not enabling it before it’s needed, if ever. 'You will only find these things out if you read the Factory Mailing List Archive.

The higher priority on packman repo(s) or any other third party repo just tells zypp’s resolver to prefer packages from that source over the ones from Tumbleweed. The same use of priorities can be applied to the standard release, and should be described in the man pages for zypper.

I am still confused about the @System which only appears when I go to yast -> software management and select repositories. If I go to yast -> repositories or if I go to command line with zypper lr then this does not appear.

**linux-top:~ #** zypper lr 
# | Alias        | Name         | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh 
--+--------------+--------------+---------+-----------+-------- 
1 | Mozilla      | Mozilla      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     
2 | packman      | packman      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     
3 | repo-debug   | repo-debug   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     
4 | repo-non-oss | repo-non-oss | Yes     | ( p) Yes  | Yes     
5 | repo-oss     | repo-oss     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     
6 | repo-update  | repo-update  | No      | ----      | Yes     
**linux-top:~ #** 

Where does this @System come from? I presume from the upgrade but I have removed all repositories and put the ones above in according to the instructions when I upgraded to TW.

Hm, so there are indeed updates available.
What happens if you try to update those packages in YaST?
Probably there’s some conflict, and that’s the reason why “zypper up” doesn’t show them.

A mixture of package versions might also explain why Apper/PackageKit is crashing.

The first seems from the repo-update, strange that there are the the same packages with different versions.

No, the update repos is empty.
Unless you added some wrong update repo, but a dolphin 15.04.2 is not available in 13.2’s update repo either.

Is this the way to avoid these problems? I have not seen this anywhere and I am surprised that the update repository has not got the updated from the oss repository.

Tumbleweed is a rolling distribution. You don’t get updates via the update repo only. The packages are updated directly in the main repo.
As mentioned by consused already, the update repo is only there for emergency cases, when Tumbleweed cannot be published because of problems but there’s a critical security update to be released ASAP.

The @System “repo” is not really a repo. This is a list of all the installed packages on your system.
“zypper” shows that too btw, for packages that you have installed but are not found in any configured repo.
Run “zypper se -s dolphin” to see… :wink:

The packages which need a vendor change are there (with many others) and the newer ones are at repo-oss. A list of all these packages is here:

**linux-top:~ #** zypper up 
Loading repository data... 
Reading installed packages... 

The following 24 package updates will NOT be installed:
abiword apper ark banshee brasero cheese cpp48 digikam dolphin empathy gcc48 gcc48-c++ gimp
gnome-color-manager gnome-contacts gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-color
gnome-packagekit gnumeric hexchat hugin libgstwayland-1_0-0 libstdc++48-devel linphone

Nothing to do.

That’s strange. With your list of repos, ark e.g. should only be available from one repo (the main OSS one), so it normally should not be contained in that list (unless you installed it from another repo/vendor before, which would also explain possible conflicts that might cause other updates from being installed too).

Can you please post a detailed list of your repos?

zypper lr -d

I presume the best way to solve is do a zypper -v dup and skip all the vendor changes from packman to something else.

Yes.
And with your 5/6 repos, there shouldn’t be any problems either.

But maybe something is wrong with the Packman Repo you added?
Those pacakges listed to have problems in your posted “zypper dup” output all come from Packman.

No. This @System is just a “fake” repo that doesn’t really exist. See above.

Thank you wolfi323 that clarifys the @System - here is the result of zypper lr -d and zypper se -s dolphin

**linux-top:~ #** zypper lr -d 
# | Alias        | Name         | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI        
                                                            | Service 
--+--------------+--------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+------------
------------------------------------------------------------+-------- 
1 | Mozilla      | Mozilla      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://down
load.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ |         
2 | packman      | packman      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   85     | rpm-md | http://ftp.
gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/    |         
3 | repo-debug   | repo-debug   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://down
load.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/debug                     |         
4 | repo-non-oss | repo-non-oss | Yes     | ( p) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://down
load.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss                   |         
5 | repo-oss     | repo-oss     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://down
load.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss                       |         
6 | repo-update  | repo-update  | No      | ----      | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://down
load.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/                        |         
**linux-top:~ #**  zypper se -s dolphin 
Retrieving repository 'packman' metadata ..................................................[done] 
Building repository 'packman' cache .......................................................[done] 

S | Name                              | Type        | Version     | Arch   | Repository 
--+-----------------------------------+-------------+-------------+--------+----------- 
i | Dolphin                           | application |             | noarch | repo-oss   
  | calligra-extras-dolphin           | package     | 2.9.5-1.3   | i586   | repo-oss   
  | calligra-extras-dolphin-debuginfo | package     | 2.9.5-1.3   | i586   | repo-debug 
i | dolphin                           | package     | 15.04.2-3.2 | i586   | repo-oss   
  | dolphin-debuginfo                 | package     | 15.04.2-3.2 | i586   | repo-debug 
  | dolphin-plugins                   | package     | 15.04.2-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss   
  | dolphin-plugins-debuginfo         | package     | 15.04.2-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug 
  | dolphin-plugins-debugsource       | package     | 15.04.2-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug 

I have to say that I updated manually some of the packets through YAST yesterday - in fact all of those where I did’t get the message that another packet required is missing. Now there are 7 packets:

The following 7 package updates will NOT be installed:
  abiword banshee cpp48 gcc48 gcc48-c++ libgstwayland-1_0-0 libstdc++48-devel  

Nothing to do. 

Not sure whether that is any help.
Cheers
Uli

Ok, so you did update dolphin meanwhile, without a problem I suppose.

I have to say that I updated manually some of the packets through YAST yesterday - in fact all of those where I did’t get the message that another packet required is missing. Now there are 7 packets:

The following 7 package updates will NOT be installed:
abiword banshee cpp48 gcc48 gcc48-c++ libgstwayland-1_0-0 libstdc++48-devel

Nothing to do.
linux-top:~ #

I still find it strange that abiword and banshee are listed there.
Maybe you installed them from some other repo in the past?

What does e.g. “rpm -qi abiword” and “zypper se -s abiword” say?
Try to right-click on them in YaST and choose “Upgrade Unconditionally”.

libgstwayland-1_0-0 is obvious, it is available in the main OSS repo (the version which you have installed apparently) and in Packman, “zypper up” will not switch that. You might want to switch that manually to the Packman version, but maybe that would give conflicts, no idea. Would at least explain why “zypper dup” was not working for you.

You should probably remove the gcc48, gcc48, gcc48-c++, and libstdc++48-devel packages. Tumbleweed uses gcc5 now, and those packages might block the update (again, they are probably coming from some other repo that you maybe used in the past).
To be sure (and out of curiosity), post the output of this first before you remove them:

rpm -qi gcc48
zypper se -s gcc*

Thank you wolfie323

Ok, so you did update dolphin meanwhile, without a problem I suppose.

Yes I did update through yast wherever no conflict showed and dolphin was included. Then I updated a few with zypper up <package> and there 2 more could be installed. Hier are the (lengthy) results of the two commands"

uli@linux-top:~> rpm -qi gcc48
Name        : gcc48
Version     : 4.8.3+r218481
Release     : 2.1
Architecture: i586
Install Date: Tue 12 May 2015 17:18:06 NZST
Group       : Development/Languages/C and C++
Size        : 24066042
License     : GPL-3.0+
Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Fri 06 Mar 2015 05:45:15 NZDT, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
Source RPM  : gcc48-4.8.3+r218481-2.1.src.rpm
Build Date  : Fri 06 Mar 2015 05:26:31 NZDT
Build Host  : build17
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
Vendor      : openSUSE
URL         : http://gcc.gnu.org/
Summary     : The GNU C Compiler and Support Files
Description :
Core package for the GNU Compiler Collection, including the C language
frontend.

Language frontends other than C are split to different sub-packages,
namely gcc-ada, gcc-c++, gcc-fortran, gcc-java, gcc-objc and
gcc-obj-c++.
Distribution: openSUSE Factory
uli@linux-top:~> zypper se -s gcc*
Repository 'Mozilla' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.
Repository 'packman' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.
Repository 'repo-debug' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.
Repository 'repo-non-oss' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.
Repository 'repo-oss' is out-of-date. You can run 'zypper refresh' as root to update it.

S | Name                    | Type    | Version           | Arch   | Repository       
--+-------------------------+---------+-------------------+--------+------------------
i | gcc                     | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-PIE                 | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-ada                 | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
i | gcc-c++                 | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-fortran             | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-gij                 | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-go                  | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-info                | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-java                | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-locale              | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-obj-c++             | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc-objc                | package | 5-1.23            | i586   | repo-oss         
i | gcc48                   | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.1 | i586   | (System Packages)
v | gcc48                   | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-ada               | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-ada-debuginfo     | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
i | gcc48-c++               | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.1 | i586   | (System Packages)
v | gcc48-c++               | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-c++-debuginfo     | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc48-debuginfo         | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc48-debugsource       | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc48-fortran           | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-fortran-debuginfo | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc48-gij               | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-gij-debuginfo     | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc48-info              | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | noarch | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-java              | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-java-debuginfo    | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc48-locale            | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-obj-c++           | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-obj-c++-debuginfo | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc48-objc              | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc48-objc-debuginfo    | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc48-testresults       | package | 4.8.3+r218481-2.6 | i586   | repo-oss         
i | gcc5                    | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-ada                | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-ada-debuginfo      | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
i | gcc5-c++                | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-c++-debuginfo      | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-debuginfo          | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-debugsource        | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-fortran            | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-fortran-debuginfo  | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-gij                | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-gij-debuginfo      | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-go                 | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-go-debuginfo       | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-info               | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | noarch | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-java               | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-java-debuginfo     | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-locale             | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-obj-c++            | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-obj-c++-debuginfo  | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-objc               | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gcc5-objc-debuginfo     | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gcc5-testresults        | package | 5.1.1+r224716-1.2 | i586   | repo-oss         
i | gccmakedep              | package | 1.0.3-3.2         | noarch | repo-oss         
uli@linux-top:~>

I noticed that all gcc48 packages had an equivalent gcc5 package so I just removed the gcc48, gcc48-c++, and libstdc++48-devel packages as you said. Afterwards did an update to version 20150702 - no problems the only package still listed now as not upgraded is libgstwayland-1_0-0.If there are no problems I will just leave it at that.
Just for information - tried apper but it still crashed. No problem really.
Thanks again
Uli

Yes, they shouldn’t be needed any more.
gcc48 and gcc5 are co-installable, that’s why they didn’t get removed automatically. But I can’t tell you why they couldn’t be updated either.

That said, if you don’t want to compile C++ stuff yourself, you probably don’t need those packages installed at all… :wink:

Afterwards did an update to version 20150702 - no problems the only package still listed now as not upgraded is libgstwayland-1_0-0.If there are no problems I will just leave it at that.

As I said, this package is available in Packman and in the standard repo, in different versions.
You seem to have the “lower” version installed (actually only the build number differs, they are the same version anyway), and “zypper up” will not switch that to the “higher” version because it comes from another repo/vendor.

Something like this will always be the case if you use more than the standard repos.

As indicated, I cannot tell you whether the Packman version will work or is to be preferable.
It probably doesn’t matter. I don’t see any difference at all regarding the dependencies.
So you might try to switch that to the Packman version too, as all your other gstreamer packages do come from there I suppose.

Just for information - tried apper but it still crashed. No problem really.

Again, AIUI Apper doesn’t crash, but PackageKit.
You probably get an error when running “pkcon get-updates” too, do you?
Does it only crash when you try to install the listed updates, or does checking for new updates crash too?

No idea what might be the reason though. I haven’t heard other people reporting this (yet).

I sometimes install .tar.bz or similar packages, e.g. one was a guitar tuner which I could not find with package search as .rpm, the other recently was miredo - the teredo IPv6 tunnelling client - where the .rpm (unstable version only) did not work for some reason and it was not the latest version. I don’t know whether they are C or C++ or something else. But chances are that I need them occasionally.

Again, AIUI Apper doesn’t crash, but PackageKit.
You probably get an error when running “pkcon get-updates” too, do you?

Yes it does

**linux-top:~ #** pkcon get-updates 
Getting updates               =========================]          
Starting                      =========================]          
Refreshing software list      =========================]         The daemon crashed mid-transact
ion! 

Does it only crash when you try to install the listed updates, or does checking for new updates crash too?

Yes at any attempt to check but as I said I am happy to use zypper instead.

Actually, didn’t it happen once with the bash bug from a few months back? It was right when TW started and snapshots weren’t rolling fast. But again, that repo is only for emergency things in TW.

I don’t think so, not with that one. I recall an ssl security update that was an emergency, and an example of the kind that may require use of an update repo for new TW in future. However, old TW used the standard release’s repos which included normal update repos so it was ok. At the beginning (IIRC) new TW only came with a non-oss update repo, which caused a minor operational issue with something ( I don’t remember exactly). It wasn’t ever used. So new TW must have already included that security update from before when it was [new?] Factory.

On 2015-07-08 01:26, TeutonJon78 wrote:
>
> consused;2718194 Wrote:
>> It hasn’t happened so far
>
> Actually, didn’t it happen once with the bash bug from a few months
> back? It was right when TW started and snapshots weren’t rolling fast.
> But again, that repo is only for emergency things in TW.

It happened once, yes; but to be precise Tumbleweed was at that moment
still called “Factory”. Thus it has never happened in Tumbleweed :wink:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

On 2015-07-05 03:36, fuerstu wrote:

> Thank you robin-listas for clarifying the use of
> Code:
> --------------------
> export SOLVER_FLAG_DUP_ALLOW_VENDORCHANGE=0
> --------------------

Well, you should try to run it, and paste here the entire result, even
if you abort it, so that we can see what it says and judge. Or try to. I
think it would have automatically removed that old gcc48 you had (and if
it didn’t, perhaps it is a bug).

Ie:

export SOLVER_FLAG_DUP_ALLOW_VENDORCHANGE=0
zypper dup

Even if it does not work, I’m sure the developers want feedback on how
that new feature works or not :wink:

> Regarding my use of Tubleweed - I see it as something between
> development and official release and I would not put it on a
> mission-critical computer. However I expect to have some problems and
> that I can learn more from it. After all most of what I know about Linux
> is from using it and running into problems. And since I am no computer
> expert this always will be a patch work of knowledge. And having waited
> for hours on a phone for Microsoft help in 2000 without getting a
> satisfying solution to a Windows2000 problem I am glad I switched to
> Linux then. Here I can only recommend the help I received in the forums.

Good :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Yes, that was before Factory was renamed to Tumbleweed, before 13.2 has been released IIRC.
I did search for the evidences a few weeks ago and posted them, but I don’t want to search for that thread now…

There never was an update (in the update repo) for the new Tumbleweed yet AFAIK, i.e. since Factory has been “renamed”.

Old Tumbleweed is a completely different story of course, as it wasn’t really a rolling distribution. Basically just an add-on repo for the latest openSUSE release with selected “bleeding-edge” packages…

I fully agree. And “normal” zypper dup too.
Would be interesting to see whether the previously posted errors still occur.

If they do, it would probably indicate somthing to be broken with those installed packages (and maybe others), which might also explain the PackageKit crash.
Maybe a “zypper ve” and/or “rpm -Va” would be interesting as well then.

Well, that proves that it’s PackageKit that’s crashing, and not Apper or some part of it.
Again, I don’t know whether that’s a general problem in Tumbleweed at the moment, but I suppose consused would have confirmed it already if it was… :wink:

OK wlfi323 and robin_listas
I have used the commands export SOLVER_FLAG_DUP_ALLOW_VENDORCHANGE=0 and then zypper -v dup and part of the result is in my post from 4 July at the bottom of page 1 in this thread. But here again the whole thing (after an upgrade to version 20150705:

**linux-top:~ #** zypper dup 
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure thes
e repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about th
is command. 
Retrieving repository 'packman' metadata ..................................................[done] 
Building repository 'packman' cache .......................................................[done] 
Computing distribution upgrade... 

The following NEW package is going to be installed: 
  libtxc_dxtn  

The following 7 packages are going to be REMOVED: 
  itext libasan0 libdvbpsi9 libkomparediff2-4 libktexteditor s2tc tuxguitar  

The following 10 packages are going to be downgraded: 
  gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base libgstapp-0_10-0  
  libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 libxmmsclient-glib1 libxmmsclient6 perl-DateTime-Format-ISO8601  
  phonon-backend-vlc xmms2 xmms2-plugin-base  

The following 9 packages are going to change vendor: 
  gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs  http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 
  gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base     http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 
  libgstapp-0_10-0                http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 
  libgstinterfaces-0_10-0         http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 
  libxmmsclient-glib1             http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 
  libxmmsclient6                  http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 
  phonon-backend-vlc              http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 
  xmms2                           http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 
  xmms2-plugin-base               http://packman.links2linux.de -> openSUSE 

10 packages to downgrade, 1 new, 7 to remove, 9  to change vendor. 
Overall download size: 2.4 MiB. Already cached: 0 B  After the operation, 14.7 MiB will be freed. 
**Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): n** 
**linux-top:~ #** export SOLVER_FLAG_DUP_ALLOW_VENDORCHANGE=0 
**linux-top:~ #** zypper dup 
Warning: You are about to do a distribution upgrade with all enabled repositories. Make sure thes
e repositories are compatible before you continue. See 'man zypper' for more information about th
is command. 
Computing distribution upgrade... 
9 Problems: 
Problem: problem with installed package gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs-0.10.36-14.12.i586 
Problem: problem with installed package gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-0.10.36-14.12.i586 
Problem: problem with installed package libgstapp-0_10-0-0.10.36-14.12.i586 
Problem: problem with installed package libgstinterfaces-0_10-0-0.10.36-14.12.i586 
Problem: problem with installed package libxmmsclient-glib1-0.8-2.124.i586 
Problem: problem with installed package libxmmsclient6-0.8-2.124.i586 
Problem: problem with installed package phonon-backend-vlc-0.8.2-17.1.i586 
Problem: problem with installed package xmms2-0.8-2.124.i586 
Problem: problem with installed package xmms2-plugin-base-0.8-2.124.i586 

Problem: problem with installed package gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs-0.10.36-14.12.i586 
 Solution 1: install gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs-0.10.36-12.3.i586 (with vendor change) 
  http://packman.links2linux.de  -->  openSUSE 

**Choose the above solution using '1' or skip, retry or cancel [1/s/r/c] (c): c** 

The difference seems to me that before the upgrade with vendor change is taken for granted, the second time it is just reported as a problem. But it does not offer the update without vendor change therefore it looks to me that I am better off using zypper up.
And here, wolfi323, is the result of the other 2 commands:

**linux-top:~ #** zypper ve 

Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied. 
**linux-top:~ #** rpm -Va 
SM5..UGT.    /usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc665cw/inf/brmfc665cwrc 
S.5....T.  c /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 
S.5....T.  c /etc/sysconfig/scripts/SuSEfirewall2-custom 
S.5....T.  c /etc/dkms/framework.conf 
S.5....T.  c /etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf 
.......T.  c /etc/login.defs 
.........    /usr/lib/rpm/kernel-module-subpackage (replaced) 
S.5....T.  c /etc/pam.d/login 
.......T.  c /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu 
S.5....T.  c /etc/default/grub 
S.5....T.  c /etc/default/passwd 
.M...U...    /var/cache/cups 
.......T.    /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache 
....L....  d /usr/share/man/man1/nosetests.1.gz 
SM5....T.  c /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf 
S.5....T.  c /etc/splashy/config.xml 
S.5....T.  c /etc/sudoers 
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/common-account 
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/common-auth 
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/common-password 
....L....  c /etc/pam.d/common-session 
S.5....T.  c /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-rendering-options.conf 
S.5....T.  c /etc/fonts/conf.d/58-family-prefer-local.conf 
S.5....T.  c /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf 
S.5....T.  c /etc/pulse/client.conf 
....L....    /usr/share/java/xml-commons-apis.jar 
S.5....T.  c /etc/samba/smb.conf 
/usr/sbin/suexec: cannot verify root:root 0755 - not listed in /etc/permissions 
....L....    /usr/lib/browser-plugins/javaplugin.so 
....L....  d /usr/share/man/man1/ftp.1.gz 
S.5....T.  c /etc/sane.d/dll.conf 
S.5....T.  c /etc/dhcpd.conf 
S.5....T.  c /etc/apparmor.d/local/usr.sbin.smbd-shares 
S.5....T.  c /etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf 
.M.......    /var/lib/PackageKit/transactions.db 
S.5....T.  c /etc/xinetd.d/vnc 
.........    /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_adobe_flash_player.so (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/flash-player-properties.png (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/flash-player-properties.png (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/flash-player-properties.png (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/flash-player-properties.png (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/kde4/services/kcm_adobe_flash_player.desktop (replaced) 
.........    /lib/udev/compat_firmware.sh (replaced) 
.M.......    /etc/cups 
.M.......    /var/cache/man 
S.5....T.  c /etc/postfix/main.cf 
S.5....T.  c /etc/postfix/master.cf 
....L....    /usr/lib/browser-plugins/javaplugin.so 
S.5....T.  c /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc 
S.5....T.  c /etc/mtools.conf 

The thing is that it shouldn’t do a vendor switch at all here, if Packman has a higher priority (lower priority number).

I don’t think that the problem messages have to do with the vendor switch per se. Something does seem to be wrong, it seems that “zypper dup” wants to switch the vendor because there is in fact a problem with those packages (not the other way round).

I would try to reinstall those listed packages (from Packman):

sudo zypper in -f --from packman gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base libgstapp-0_10 libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 libxmmsclient-glib1 libxmmsclient6 phonon-backend-vlc xmms2 xmms2-plugin-base

If you still get those vendor changes when running “zypper dup”, you might also try to switch to another Packman mirror…
http://packman.links2linux.de/mirrors

And here, wolfi323, is the result of the other 2 commands:

Looks quite ok.
Except for some messages that probably won’t cause your “problem”…

.........    /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_adobe_flash_player.so (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/flash-player-properties.png (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/flash-player-properties.png (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/flash-player-properties.png (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/flash-player-properties.png (replaced) 
.........    /usr/share/kde4/services/kcm_adobe_flash_player.desktop (replaced) 
.........    /lib/udev/compat_firmware.sh (replaced) 

[/QUOTE]
The corresponding packages are kernel-macros, flash-player, and flash-player-kde4.
You might want to reinstall them too, but as said, that should be unrelated.
Although I don’t find the last one in any openSUSE package. Can you please post the output of:

rpm -qf /lib/udev/compat_firmware.sh

On 2015-07-09 12:16, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> fuerstu;2718878 Wrote:
>> The difference seems to me that before the upgrade with vendor change is
>> taken for granted, the second time it is just reported as a problem. But
>> it does not offer the update without vendor change therefore it looks to
>> me that I am better off using zypper up.
> The thing is that it shouldn’t do a vendor switch at all here, if
> Packman has a higher priority (lower priority number).

Regardless of priority, with vendor change set to no, it should not
propose change.

> I don’t think that the problem messages have to do with the vendor
> switch per se. Something does seem to be wrong, it seems that “zypper
> dup” wants to switch the vendor because there is in fact a problem with
> those packages (not the other way round).

Yes.

>
> I would try to reinstall those listed packages (from Packman):
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> sudo zypper in -f --from packman gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base libgstapp-0_10 libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 libxmmsclient-glib1 libxmmsclient6 phonon-backend-vlc xmms2 xmms2-plugin-base
> --------------------

Or in YaST see what versions are offered in the version tab, and click
around…

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Right, and it doesn’t really.
It seems to detect a problem with those packages, and the only available fix is the vendor change, so it proposes it and asks the user.
“zypper up” does the same if necessary.

I was talking about the normal “zypper dup” though, i.e. without vendor change disabled. It shouldn’t want to do a vendor change there either.

Thank you, wolfi323 and robin_listas, I think we are now coming to the cause of the problem. The command

**linux-top:~ #** zypper in -f --from packman gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs gstreamer-0_10-plugins-b
ase libgstapp-0_10 libgstinterfaces-0_10-0 libxmmsclient-glib1 libxmmsclient6 phonon-backend-vlc 
xmms2 xmms2-plugin-base 
Package 'gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base' not found in specified repositories.
Package 'libgstinterfaces-0_10-0' not found in specified repositories.
Package 'gstreamer-0_10-plugin-gnomevfs' not found in specified repositories.
Package 'xmms2' not found in specified repositories.
Package 'phonon-backend-vlc' not found in specified repositories.
Package 'libxmmsclient-glib1' not found in specified repositories.
Package 'libxmmsclient6' not found in specified repositories.
Package 'xmms2-plugin-base' not found in specified repositories.
Package 'libgstapp-0_10' not found in specified repositories.
Resolving package dependencies... 

Nothing to do.

Next I looked into Yast → Software management → Repositories. There I highlighted packman and tried checked. All the multimedia packages are from packman but strangely not from the one where I have the URL in the repository. The version tab says:
from vendor http://packman.links2linux.de (installed)
from packman with priority 85 and vendor http://packman.links2linux.de
I tried several of the packages - always the same but I don’t know how this happened. I have only the one packman repository. I tried switching - assuming it can only do the one which is recorded but nothing happens. How can I switch the packaged to this repository now?
I have changed at some stage (that was long before I switched to TW) the mirror of packman because I had problems with one of the URL here in New Zealand. I presume somehow it still has maintained somewhere this old link and still installs the packages from there even though another repo is listed. But apart from manually switching each package I have no idea how to rectify this. Any suggestions?
Here are again the repos I have listed:

**linux-top:~ #** zypper lr -p --uri 
# | Alias        | Name         | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | URI                                                                  
--+--------------+--------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+---------------------------------------------------------------
-------- 
1 | Mozilla      | Mozilla      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ 
2 | packman      | packman      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   85     | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/    
3 | repo-debug   | repo-debug   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/debug         
4 | repo-non-oss | repo-non-oss | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss          
5 | repo-oss     | repo-oss     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss              
6 | repo-update  | repo-update  | No      | ----      | Yes     |   99     | http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/  

Yes, we are.
For some reason xmms2 is not available on Packman for Tumbleweed any more.
And phonon-backend-vlc has been removed completely.
Sorry for not checking earlier, but at least xmms2 is available for 13.2, so I didn’t even think it might be missing.

That’s of course the reason why zypper dup wants to switch them back to the standard versions.

For phonon-backend-vlc it doesn’t matter anyway, it just uses the installed vlc. If that’s from Packman everything’s fine. So you can just accept the vendor change there.
xmms2 fails to build for Tumbleweed though in Packman at the moment.
Are you using that?
If not you could just uninstall it.
Otherwise it might work if you switch the packages to the versions from the standard repo (that are available there). The missing plugins/codecs shouldn’t get uninstalled and hopefully would still work (although they probably won’t if they last built successfully before the switch to gcc5).
But if you do that, you cannot get back.

Hopefully the build problems will be fixed in Packman, then that problem will be solved too.
So maybe better just wait.

gstreamer-0_10 (including the plugins-base) is available on Packman though, also for Tumbleweed AFAICS.
What does “zypper se -s gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base” say?

Thank you, wolfi323
here is the command:

linux-top:~ # zypper se -s gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base

S | Name                                    | Type       | Version       | Arch   | Repository       
--+-----------------------------------------+------------+---------------+--------+------------------
  | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base             | srcpackage | 0.10.36-14.15 | noarch | packman          
i | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base             | package    | 0.10.36-14.12 | i586   | (System Packages)
v | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base             | package    | 0.10.36-12.3  | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-debuginfo   | package    | 0.10.36-12.3  | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-debugsource | package    | 0.10.36-12.3  | i586   | repo-debug       
  | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-devel       | package    | 0.10.36-12.3  | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-doc         | package    | 0.10.36-12.3  | i586   | repo-oss         
  | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-lang        | package    | 0.10.36-14.15 | noarch | packman          
  | gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-lang        | package    | 0.10.36-12.3  | noarch | repo-oss         
linux-top:~ # 

But my main problem seems to be how do I move from an old packman repository which is not listed any more for a long time to the packman repository listed without having to go through each package separately?