Apparent Typo in Wiki SDB:System Upgrade instructions

I followed the live upgrade instructions that effectively did a zypper dup from 42.1 to 42.2. I am typing this on 42.2, so it worked. :slight_smile: I did stumble in the wiki instructions to “Move /var/cache to a separate subvolume.”

https://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade](https://en.opensuse.org/Upgrade)

The third step to mount the subvolume seems to have an unnecessary “5” for the subvol definition:

mount /dev/<root-device> -o subvol=5@ /mnt

This command would not run successfully I ran the second command in this section. It resulted in a non-working /etc/fstab situation later in the instructions. Then, I had to figure out how to remove an incorrect “var/cache” subvol definition created at step 5. Once I found and followed the Release Notes, I was able to complete step 3 correctly.

https://doc.opensuse.org/release-notes/x86_64/openSUSE/Leap/42.2/#sec.upgrade.421

This command from the Release Notes worked for me and I was able to proceed:

mount <root_device> -o subvol=@ /mnt

Of course, I had “/dev/” in front of <root_device> when I used this command.

Where can I report this, assuming it’s a problem for others?

Also, the sed instructions in the wiki to change the repo definitions were for 13.2 to 42.1. It took me a bit of time to rework this code for 42.1 to 42.2. I don’t write sed that much anymore. Zypper and now Yast seemed accept the results. Here are my sed commands in case it helps anyone else:

sed -i 's,openSUSE-42\.1,openSUSE-42.2,g' /etc/zypp/repos.d/*
sed -i 's,42\.1,42.2,g' /etc/zypp/repos.d/*

Thanks!

Hi, welcome

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My guess is that work on updating the wiki e.a. is still an ongoing process. I used the page to upgrade my 13.2 to 42.1 and don’t remember having issues. But I might have used YaST to f.e. change repos, and don’t use btrfs.

It’s strange that there isn’t a graphical system upgrader anyway. Do less tech users user terminal and runlevel 3 to upgrade their systems every year?

Both the DVD and the Net install have graphical upgraders.

I’m pretty sure you can do the upgrade with yast it’s just replacing all those system libraries might crash X and you’d end up with an unusable system
I did 13.2->42.1 upgrade in a konsole window under kde4 had no issues, I do believe the runlevel 3 is a precaution not a necessity

Anyone can edit any online document (well, except for the docs.opensuse.org documentation) directly.

You need to be logged in with your User account (same as logging in to these Forums), click on the Edit… button and make your change.

If someone feels your edit is wrong or if you make a mistake, it’s easy to roll back (undo) your change.

In other words, especially for any obvious typos, people should not hesitate to just fix the issue without needing to ask anyone else about it.

TSU

TSU,

Thanks for the guidance. I made the change on the wiki to remove the “5” in the btrfs subvol path for the mount command. This syncs the mount command with what is in the official Release Notes. The “subvol=@” is what worked for me, assuming a 42.1 to 42.2 upgrade. So it was tested at least once. :slight_smile:

I need to think more about adding my sed commands for changing 42.1 repos to 42.2. Those would change the nature of the entire section. The section is written for “13.2 to 42.1”.