Apache fails to start at boot.

I can see clearly that Apache is starting and ending before Network Manager has started the network and I said that the reason Apache fails is because it cannot bind to the IP/Port because the network has not yet come up. This is all obvious from both the error message and the journal timings. I am well aware of how things work in computing as I have worked in it for 40+ years! My understanding from looking at the various settings that Apache should attempt to not start before the network is up. On this system when first installed and on Leap 42.1 it worked with NetworkManager and using NetworkManager-wait-online, however there is no evidence that the latter is even starting let alone running, nothing in the journal suggests it gets started.

Stuart

Seems like you need to make the Apache start dependent on the networkmanagent completion. Systemd tends to do things in parallel unless you set the dependencies in the startup files

quoting documentation.

network-online.target

Units that strictly require a configured network connection should pull in
network-online.target (via a Wants= type dependency) and order themselves after
it. This target unit is intended to pull in a service that delays further
execution until the network is sufficiently set up. What precisely this requires
is left to the implementation of the network managing service.

Well despite my dislike of wicked (because of the lack of a controlling systray widget to disable the network for testing) I thought I’d try it and see if Apache starts up OK with that which I believe might indicate that systemd was doing stuff in the correct order. So this moring I booted with wicked and sure enough Apache started on boot as it should. A systemd-analyze plot shows that wicked completes in its entirety before apache even starts as it should.

So it’s back to the drawing board with Network Manager to see if I can sort out what is happening here. It’s almost like NM does not bring up the network until the user is active but that in my view is wrong since wicked and NM are mutually exclusive. I have never had this trouble in the past with NM it seems only recently that a change has been made which is causing this, which is fine as long as wicked provides all the same facilities as NM which it patent does not as there is no controlling widget.

Stuart

I decided this evening to switch back to Network Manager. Now there is something very wrong here because when I used Yast to switch immediately I did that it mounted a network share which it should not have done. I had been having a few problems with SMB4K and this particular share getting mounted and not being able to unmount it, running wicked the issue does not arise and SMB4K works fine.

So I am more convinced now that bfore that there is a bug either within NM itself or the settings when Yast switches between wicked and NM. I will now reboot and see if I can work out what is wrong with the NM settings or systemd setup which might be causing this. It is obviously not acceptable for NM not to work as it always has in the past.

Stuart