Anybody able to connect to the *New* Microsoft SkyDrive?

Recently (April 2012?) Microsoft updated their SkyDrive cloud storage service and introduced a SkyDrive synchronization package (like Dropbox).

I’ve been trying to connect to it but nothing seems to work. I don’t know if it ever did, I have never been successful in Linux yet.

I would try to connect to it as a WebDAV (secure, so “https”) and used the “https://d.docs.live.net/<alpha-numeric string>” but it would give an error that it cannot connect to it.

I have tried it in openSUSE 12.1 (KDE), Ubuntu 10.04 (Gnome) and Xubuntu 12.04 (Xfce).

Has anybody been successful in mounting or connecting to SkyDrive in Linux or have heard of anybody being successful? There was a project in codeplex written in C# with the idea that Linux could use it to run in Mono, but it is old and abandoned.

Well, first thing I would try to find out is what protocol they use. I would not try poking at them with all sorts of protocols I could think of. But then again, my personal idea would be, when it is MicroSoft, would they realy use an open and published protocol?

Articles I’ve read mentioned WebDAV, though it could be something “like” WebDAV" but different enough to limit it’s accessibility.

On 05/31/2012 11:06 AM, dragonbite wrote:
>
> Articles I’ve read mentioned WebDAV, though it could be something “like”
> WebDAV" but different enough to limit it’s accessibility.

Lucky you as you get to do part of the reverse engineering.

Step 1 will be to implement the Windows equivalent of tcpdump and obtain a dump
of all the traffic between your windows instance and the SkyDrive.

Step 2 is to repeat with Linux.

Step 3 is to compare the dumps obtained in 1 and 2. Armed with that knowledge,
you can revise the Linux protocols to match those of the Evil Empire, or you
could do what I would and dump Micro$oft for some service that uses
non-proprietary protocols.

Any sources on how to view and read these tcpdumps?

Hi
Wireshark might be better, you can save the dump and view on both
systems…

Or wait for google drive to get a linux sync client (I just use the
web page)? I have google print working to pdf as well as google
printing to a local printer.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64) Kernel 3.1.10-1.9-desktop
up 3:07, 5 users, load average: 0.08, 0.04, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

On 05/31/2012 06:52 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> you could do what I would and dump Micro$oft for some service that uses
> non-proprietary protocols.

or what i would do: write to several Microsoft forums, help desks, etc
and kindly ask them how to connect with Linux…

force them to write (admit) that it is not possible, and then ask why…

dd

I too would like to see a Skydrive client sync for Linux. I have gotten the web version of Skydrive working great, even the web apps - install moonlight plugin to firefox, works like charm.

Adam

I’ve been using Skydrive regularly.

Open a web browser to
Http://skydrive.live.com

Works fine with FF, Chrome, Chromium.

I’ve looked at the skydrive API but don’t have time to rustle up a client. Does anyone really wan/need an installed application, not a web client?

BTW - no Moonlight required. Is straight HTML5.

TSU

I haven’t had any trouble with SkyDrive since their updated inteface in other browsers or OSs. Actually I find even in Windows, SkyDrive works 100%+ better in Chrome or Firefox than IE 8 or 9!

While a synchronization client would be great, I would be happy if I could just mount it or navigate in Dolphin at regular speeds. When SkyDrive was mounted in Windows it was slower than molasses rolling uphill on a cold Vermont winter morning!

The previous version of SkyDrive supposedly could be connected to as a WebDAV and navigated through in the browser but either that doesn’t work now, or I don’t have the right address to navigate to.

Anybody use the option to save Office documents online in OpenDocument Format by default?

ImageShack - Best place for all of your image hosting and image sharing needs](ImageShack - office_online_opendocument_format.png)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dragonbite
Yes, I don’t remember that a ready solution to integrate with Dolphin or any other File Manager exists except… and I’m completely theorizing… creating a QT wrapper for an existing web client. Don’t know for that’s possible.

I only remember REST and HTTP methods, but no off the shelf full featured file management protocols like WebDAV or FTP.

But, just boomark and open a browser, it even supports DragNDrop from Dolphin!

TSU