ANY graphics cards provide provide plug and plan sound in hdmi ?

Hello,

I need to get a new graphics card (old one underpowered) and am looking to run dual video out - monitor with dvi and hdmi to tv. Running 12.1 64 bit intel. Are there any graphics cards that provide plug and play hdmi WITH SOUND ? I uncovered the lack of sound issue with my current asus nvidia card.

If there is no card that provides plug and play, is there a nvidia vendor whose cards work directly with the nvidia provided down-loadable drivers? Again, my asus nvidia card did NOT preselect any of the available nvidia drivers, so I gather that they would not work / not work easily with the drivers. The specific nvidia processor is listed as supported, but I guess the asus implementation may not be compatible with the drivers ?? I am fine with installing the nvidia drivers, but I would prefer to avoid an implementation battle afterward to get it working properly…

I just want to get the best ‘compatible’ card - suggestions appreciated!!

Thanks – Roger

On 2012-07-21 15:26, rogerh113 wrote:

> If there is no card that provides plug and play, is there a nvidia
> vendor whose cards work directly with the nvidia provided down-loadable
> drivers? Again, my asus nvidia card did NOT preselect any of the

Asus does not love Linux at all, I would not buy anything with Asus name on it.

I do not know if my video card ("nVidia GeForce 9500 GT from MSI) has hdmi sound, but it does
indeed work with the plain nvidia drivers, of course.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thanks for the input, and I will avoid the asus option. I think I am going to go with the evga, which supposedly has internal audio support for hdmi - got my fingers crossed that it will be not so hard.

Regards – Roger

I have run HDMI video and sound from my laptop which has an nVidia 9M onboard graphics chip, using the proprietary nVidia driver, so I can attest that it is doable, with little-to-no pain iirc.

The same here on a netbook with ATI E-350 processor + onboard HD6310 (branded Vision by ATI) and the proprietary blob. I just connected the HDMI out to the TV, it worked nicely.