Another Entry in the Windows Fail Compilation

This past weekend, I was on a choral competition trip in Atlanta, Georgia with my high school choral department. The trip lasted three days (left Wednesday night, returned this morning), and we did very well in the competition. Of course, we also took a bunch of tours around the city (since the competition was only three hours out of the entire trip), and saw the finest tourist spots that the city had to offer.

On Thursday, the first order of business after breakfast was to visit the Georgia Aquarium. It was a magnificent place with a lot of huge exhibits with huge fish and various aquatic creatures. However, there was one problem: the place runs on Windows.

In one exhibit, the Aquarium had these touch-screen kiosks in front of the large tank with pictures of all the various species of fish and coral they had in the tank. You touch the picture you want to get information about the organism and what-not. I was with my brother and this other kid we had in our group (as we were only allowed to travel in groups of three or more). We were playing with one of the kiosks when suddenly, the program crashed, and Windows XP asked us whether we wanted to send an error report.

Now, I would have taken a picture of it and plaster it all over FailBlog, but the other student touched “Don’t Send” before I could get out my camera. I was in too much shock to act in any sort of timely manner.

I have witnessed a similar incident at an Airport. The large LCD/Plasma screen for displaying flight information was displaying a Windoze crash error.

Found the Blue Screen of Death on an ATM

Where do you know from, that it is actually Windows’ fault, when an application crashes? This can happen in Linux too:
http://nurwir.de/wp-content/gallery/posts/pfandautomat.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2Zmo6n1a2s0/0.jpg

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:06:01 +0000, Knurpht wrote:

> Found the Blue Screen of Death on an ATM

When they first opened the light rail here in Salt Lake City, one of the
ticketing kiosks has BSOD’ed.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

Application crashes are all too frequent on any OS, but I simply found it amusing because I have seen that dialog on Windows XP all too often. That was one of the reasons why I made the switch over to Linux. This is not to say that I haven’t experienced crashes with applications in Linux, but I have seen a significantly less amount of crashes in common applications. The machine was running Macromedia Player for goodness’ sake. It wasn’t even doing running anything too ‘strenuous.’

Saw a blue screen of death on TV in college about 12 years ago.
This TV connected to the computer?!

You will see two types of crashes on public Windows computers. The first is an application crash and often the dialog box is do you want to send a report to MS? This sort of thing is an embarrassment to the developer because they should have programmed it to suppress the report and restart the app. I mean, how is a airport arrivals board supposed to accept a click to send off the report? lol! A Linux developer ought to do the same too.

The other type of crash is more serious and embarrassing to MS; it’s the BSoD which is an OS crash and requires a hardware reset. You will hardly ever see the equivalent on Linux, an oops. The Linux kernel is far more resistant to this sort of crash.

The application did restart itself after the error report dialog. The error reports never make a difference anyway because MS would be getting hundreds of billions of these a day.

Today the University of Calgary has had to report that their entire Computer network for the University was brought down by a single windows based PC that passed on a virus not caught by it’s Mcafee Anti-virus software. They suspect it to take upwards of a week to fully clean and restore the network.
They use Linux, Unix, AIS, Mac OS/X for most things but the underlying network servers and student access points are almost entirely Windows based :shame:

Coles closes stores due to McAfee bug
ZDNet Australia - Where Technology Means Business