Annoying updates interferring with operations

opensuse has been working fine in linux mode and last I checked had a fully working virtualbox with 3 guests all working 100% but just went to try and access the windows guest os and I find that kernel version does not match vbox version which also does not match extension pack version or the guest additions version. Wow! This prompted me to check all my media editing stuff that took weeks to get working, and nothing is working as it was!

How do I set the opensuse repos to install exactly what I want and nothing else! How do I lock the system so the crappy updates can’t be installed. I know Linux is modular and certain security updates are needed but it should never break the installed apps swapping them out for broken versions. I thought I had shut down ALL changes to the system but things still got installed.

Broken installs are now Avidmux, handbrake, Amorok, vlc, virtualbox, cups, printers, scanners, codecs so far that I have found.

In the state things are in it looks like I have to wipe things out and start over hoping to this time lock the system I guess by deleting all repo sets after they are installed. Am I right that if the system has no repo to refer to I will have an unchangable system without even security updates??

Thanks

Hi
Switch to KVM if your system supports it…? The openSUSE Virtualbox or the Oracle one?

Any Packman related stuff, head over to;
http://packman.links2linux.org/help and http://lists.links2linux.de/pipermail/packman/

eg, for Avidemux see http://lists.links2linux.de/pipermail/packman/2016-September/014685.html

You can lock packages via zypper al <some package> of via YaST Software Management.

On 10/06/2016 07:46 PM, malcolmlewis wrote:
>
> Hi
> Switch to KVM if your system supports it…?

Wrong answer!!!

The OP needs to recompile the kernel modules with the following:

/code

/sbin/rcvboxdrv setup

/code

and reboot.

Ken
linux since 1994
S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996

What do you mean by “linux mode”?

In the state things are in it looks like I have to wipe things out and start over hoping to this time lock the system I guess by deleting all repo sets after they are installed. Am I right that if the system has no repo to refer to I will have an unchangable system without even security updates??

No, and that would be dumb.

Do not use Packagekit for updates. I, and many other openSUSE users, do not install any package with “packagekit” or “pk-update” in its name – we use “YaST Online Update”. YOU can be configured for automatic updates, security only, no-interactive only (no kernel updates) or without setting an update schedule, it is manual only.

If you do not want automatic updates, what prompted you to configure them? I do not have a graphical desktop on my VBox servers, configure YOU for automatic non-interactive security updates only, perform scripted monitoring of essential services and attend to other updates during scheduled admin sessions. Automated updates across different repository vendors require some forethought to ensure that the application versions remain in sync. You might have had better luck using VBox from the main openSUSE-13.2 repository, and/or using “dkms” to auto-rebuild the kernel modules.

Hi
Please explain why an alternative in kernel, no fluffing around fixing stuff recompiling this and that, adding a patch here and there is wrong… :wink: If the cpu supports it it’s a worthwhile consideration, vmware/vbox etc were invented for systems that don’t support virtualization.

But yes after a kernel update one must rebuild the kernel modules…

when I was setting up the system several people had said zypper does not not allow locking package versions and choosing repo selection in 13.2 I would have to go to Leap. I tried anyways and first thing I noticed was an infobox saying 1300+ apps plus the some of the kernel would be replaced not wishing to do this I put the zypper settings back the way they were and chose to unsubscribe repo’s after I got the correct packages for my needs. I left the oss, non-oss, enabled.

I was using virtualbox 5 I think from virtualbox.org because it handled my needs for 3 windows versions, USB support, Printer support, File sharing, Etc which I could not get working with the opensuse versions.

I have always got the little update icon on the taskbar daily asking me to install security and recommended updates which I check every once in a while but never select to do any of the updates as I can see it just wants to create conflicts. It is my guess since each time it shows different changes that my ignoring it is either installing things without my permission or changing it’s mind on what to do with my set-up.

Today there are 62 updates wanting to replace part of my kernel, virtualbox, amorok, large part of KDE, Yesturday there was 235 updates wanting to change cups, glutenprint, amorok, Avidmux, Handbrake among other things, and the day before that when I first noticed the problem there were 461 updates mostly security, but also affecting virtualbox - kernel modules and Amorok. The thing I remember most is that Amorok in all 3 days is NOT the repo / version I installed nor do the three versions being requested for upgrade match each other. I am so confused at what to do. Wish this machine would take 11.2 but it won’t.

That’s what virtualbox said when I tried to open win-xp as virtual guest. but I don’t have rcvboxdrv in my /sbin
nor the suggested by virtualbox.org file /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh

Linux mode = Just linux with no virtualizations running. My KDE desktop and regular use apps. I do not use packagekit or pk-update, I tried to use zypper to lock stuff to the installed versions from the install from repo’s but that was a waste of time. In Yast I set only inform me of security updates and do not install anything without my consent.
Vbox from main repo does not and can not work for my purposes. Tried it many times and could not get file sharing, printing, scanning, usb devices, internet, host drive access to work. Getting one thing working stopped all the others so gave up on it.

I have a thought that something may have changed Yast - updates so I am off to play with yast and see what it has to say for itself.

Thing is I was happy with my original kernel, I did not want ever to modify the kernel. My broken Laptop ran 11.2 till it died without ever getting a kernel update. I’d be still using it today if a book had not had different plans and fallen on it :frowning:

Unless I am missing something, KVM only supports Linux and Windows 7-8-9-10+ guests where I am using windows 2k-xp-7 guests

Yast is not how i left it! Online update Config has Check monthly, skip interactive patches, and now has use delta rpms??? added.

Hi
Fair enough, your system your call :wink: Hopefully you review any kernel security fixes?

In YaST software management you can ricght-click and taboo so it won’t update, but zypper al should work as well?

Have a look here;
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status#Windows_Family

Look in /etc/init.d for vboxdrv if there run with the setup option.

ok I found vboxdrv in etc/init.d and ran it. And got a message that said kernel driver compiled. rebooted the system and tried virtualbox and still got the messages that virtualbox version does not match the kernel driver, extension pack version does not match virtualbox version nor driver version, guest additions not loaded due to bad verrsion.

Next checked out qemu-kvm and installed qemu-kvm which also installed lots of qemu stuff for support. Couldn’t find any gui or installed new apps so went looking for a manual and if I understand things right this would be a major step to the dark ages.
Seems it is totally cli driven and you must enter a rediculuously long string of parameters

And what virtualbox packages do you have installed?

rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox

You probably have several versions (or the wrong version) of the host kmp package installed, and there’s no point to have the guest additions on the host anyway.

I would suggest to remove all kmps and install the host kmp fresh.
This will probably fix it:

sudo rpm -e --nodeps virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop
sudo zypper in virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop

Cannot help you with qemu-kvm though.

On 10/07/2016 12:26 PM, malcolmlewis wrote:
>
> kensch;2795194 Wrote:
>> On 10/06/2016 07:46 PM, malcolmlewis wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> Switch to KVM if your system supports it…?
>>
>> Wrong answer!!!
>>
>> The OP needs to recompile the kernel modules with the following:
>>
>> /code
>>
>> /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup
>>
>> /code
>>
>> and reboot.
>>
>> –
>> Ken
>> linux since 1994
>> S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996
> Hi
> Please explain why an alternative in kernel, no fluffing around fixing
> stuff recompiling this and that, adding a patch here and there is
> wrong… :wink: If the cpu supports it it’s a worthwhile consideration,
> vmware/vbox etc were invented for systems that don’t support
> virtualization.
>
> But yes after a kernel update one must rebuild the kernel modules…
>
>

Because the OP didn’t ask if there was an alternative, the OP asked how
to fix what he had. Your answer was like telling someone to go buy
apples when they asked where to buy oranges because YOU don’t like oranges.
If the OP had asked for an alternative I would not have replied.

Ken
linux since 1994

On 10/07/2016 02:26 PM, techwiz03 wrote:
>
> kensch;2795194 Wrote:
>> On 10/06/2016 07:46 PM, malcolmlewis wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> Switch to KVM if your system supports it…?
>>
>> Wrong answer!!!
>>
>> The OP needs to recompile the kernel modules with the following:
>>
>> /code
>>
>> /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup
>>
>> /code
>>
>> and reboot.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> –
>> Ken
>> linux since 1994
>> S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996
>
> That’s what virtualbox said when I tried to open win-xp as virtual
> guest. but I don’t have rcvboxdrv in my /sbin
> nor the suggested by virtualbox.org file /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh
>
>

OK, which version of the Oracle virtualbox do you have installed? If not
from Oracle. we’ll also need additional info such as which version of
openSUSE and VB you have installed. The more info you give us the better
the answer to fix your problem.

Ken
linux since 1994

WOW - I originally had only 4 entries when things worked now I see 15 most certainly coming from some updating that should not have been performed.
No clue as to which ones are right ones. On the don’t need host side stuff, I tried to remove it when I did the first install and it wouldn’t let me unless I also uninstalled virtualbox app.

virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-4.3.18_k3.16.6_2-1.6.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-tools-5.0.20-46.1.x86_64
virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-4.3.36_k3.16.7_32-40.1.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-4.3.36_k3.16.7_35-43.2.x86_64
virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-4.3.34_k3.16.7_32-37.1.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-5.0.20_k3.16.7_35-46.1.x86_64
virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-4.3.34_k3.16.7_29-35.2.x86_64
virtualbox-qt-5.0.20-46.1.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-4.3.34_k3.16.7_29-35.2.x86_64
virtualbox-5.0.20-46.1.x86_64
virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-4.3.36_k3.16.7_35-43.2.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-4.3.36_k3.16.7_32-40.1.x86_64
virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop-5.0.20_k3.16.7_35-46.1.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-kmp-desktop-4.3.34_k3.16.7_32-37.1.x86_64
virtualbox-guest-x11-5.0.20-46.1.x86_64

Don’t worry about qemu-kvm, I found out more about it and although it does have lots of possible stuff including gui it is too hard to keep things straight as they keep poping back and forth between cli-ubuntu cli-sles gui-ubuntu gui-sles to make much sense of it.

I have full backup installs of my vm’s .vdi’s just in case a vm got damaged I could just delete the vdi & copy the backup over to the where the wroking vdi was and be back in business, but never thought I would use such to restore virtualbox. If I am right, I should be able to:

1. find and back-up the setings file somewhere in .virtualvox folder.
  2. totally remove all of virtualbox (listed in code above)
  3. Figure out which virtualbox version should be used (probably 5.0.20-46.1.x86_64) from virtualbox.org
  4. Find and remove extensiopacks & guest add-ons
  5. reinstall the extensionpacks & guest add-ons
  6. restore the config settings to the virtualbox folder or try and link to the vdi’s if they were not deleted by deleting virtualbox or using my back-up vdi’s if they were.

Does thus sound good or no?

Hi
Install virt-manager for the GUI tool or virsh from the command line. If required you can access remote vm’s with virt-manager on the local machine via ssh.

Maybe if you look at the vbox stuff installed on the host and check the versions tab? Or are the mis-matches on the guests?

Just run the two commands I gave you and VirtualBox should work again (after a reboot).

Neither the settings, nor the guests, nor the extension pack installation will be affected by this in any way.

How do remove the list of wrong virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop<versions> because yast says they are not there but rpm says they are and zypper complains it can’t because it has multiple versions present? Also tried to remove virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop and it said it was doing it then checked and it changed kernel-default and left virtualbox-host-kmp-desktop installed.

did not fix a thing still have multiple copies and got warning to reboot now as kernel has been changed.

I have no clue which version exactly that I installed from virtualbox.org it was either one starting with 4 or 5 but YAST says my installed version is from opensuse version 5 which it definitely should NOT be.