Annoying shutdown beep in GDM

Hello everyone!

This problem is starting to make me insane, so I will ask here for help because I could not find anything that would help.

I installed openSUSE 11.2 with GNOME 2.28 on my DELL Inspiron 1720 notebook. KDE is installed as a fallback desktop.
When I use GDM as a display manager, my system gives a crazy beep when I try to shutdown or restart. There is actually NO ERROR, the system shutdowns fine and everything gets back up perfectly on reboot.

I googled a lot about that issue and found several “solutions”, but none did work. Here is what I have done so far:

• Disable sounds and system sounds in GNOME
  • Deinstall PulseAudio
  • Set the volume for “PC Beep” to 0% in alsamixer
  • Removed and blacklisted the kernel modules for the case speaker (snd_pcsp and pcspkr), I double-checked: They are no longer loaded

Because that all did not help, I switched display manager to KDM and guess what? The beep is gone. So it is an issue/feature of GDM. KDM works fine but I cannot shutdown from GNOME, I get logged off and then I need to shutdown from KDM. I know it should be this way and that’s ok. I would like to get GDM back so I can normally shutdown the system WITHOUT the annoying beep, because it is so loud that half of my class falls from their chairs when it happens.

Any suggestions what to do?

bump

No one has an idea how to fix that?

If you have not resolved this yet then have a look at

disable reboot/shutdown beep - LinuxQuestions.org

It worked for me!

Cheers

I instead chose this route to disable the annoying beep during shutdown and restart

added “blacklist pcspkr” in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf causing the kernel to not load the speaker module. Reboot for the changes to take effect.

If you opt to do this then you can undo the changes made to /etc/rc.d/halt as suggested in the previous post.

This did not resolve my problem. When I edit the /etc/rc.d/halt file, I still have a beep but my system refueses to reboot. Gets stuck after “No more services left in this runlevel”.

I already blacklisted the module you suggested. I moved it from blacklist.conf to the 50-blacklist.conf but the beep still remains.

I think that it is more related to GDM and not the systemwide halt routine, because when using KDM it works fine and does not beep. If it would be in the halt routine, there would be a beep in KDM too right?

Hi I have the same problem and went through roughly the same as what you did. Finally I was able to turn it off by setting PC Beep in alsamixer to MUTE. I did set it to 0 before but it still beep. To mute it you need to press ‘M’.

Hope it helps.

Using Yast and kdm:

Open Yast (Administrator Settings)

You may go to System and select /etc/sysconfig Editor

In the /etc/sysconfig Editor expand the System tree,
then expand the Boot tree,

Select the entry titled “HALT_SOUND” and set the value to “no.”

This does it for me and is in fact the default “no.”

Still is beep, But used text mode not beep.

I changed BIOS battery. Beep is stop.