I’m a semi-newbie, with an AMD64 box running 10.3 x64, generally successful. I have mostly stuck to the various package versions that came with the distribution or the update server, with regards to gcc, etc.
On my box, when I try running Anjuta as it comes from the distribution, I get three missing-library errors on load-up, pertaining to plugins, as I recall.
So I decided to just get Anjuta 2.4 sources and build them out; I run the configure script, resolve dependencies, re-run, etc, until everything is “OK”. (Except I can’t figure out how to get it to compile with GtkSourceView editor, yet, but that’s another story.)
So, with it configured for everything but GtkSourceView and some marked-unstable other plug-in, I started the make.
It successfully makes all the way up to the valgrind plug-in, which fails to link the library giving “relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol’ can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC .libs/assert.o: could not read symbols: Bad value”
Digging around, I saw this page:
Gentoo Linux Documentation – HOWTO fix -fPIC errors
So i thought I’d pull down the latest source of binutils and build/install it, and this is where I run into trouble.
I was able to compile and build it using “–with-pic”, and “sudo make install”. It appears to put the new libbfd* libraries in /usr/local/bin, whereas the old distribution-level library file remains in /usr/lib64. And this is what the Anjuta build picks up, still.
I started to try to uninstall the distribution binutils using yast, but realized there were dozens of dependencies on binutils that would come unglued, so I figured this wasn’t a good idea.
My questions are:
- What’s the right way to do this?
- Should I specify a different target folder for the binutils install (ie, /usr/lib64?)
- Since I presume many other packages depend on the old 2.17 version of binutils, is it acceptable to have two versions of libbfd*.so in /usr/lib64?
- Given the above, does the automake/autoconf mechanism seek out the latest version of a library to link up with, in the case of Anjuta?
- Is it possible/reasonable to use the binutils package to build an update(?) RPM that would update 2.17 binutils to the 2.18 version for the whole system?
- Other advice?