an advice on which fs to use for / home partition

hello to all,

I kindly ask you for advice on which fs to use for the home partition. by default tw when I create the partitions it also proposes me for the home the fs btrfs. btrfs, in general, is safe and usable for a home partition of about 400 mb? or should I make a smaller / home and a separate data partition?

I thank you all

G
M
T

Rileva linguaAfrikaansAlbaneseAmaricoAraboArmenoAzeroBascoBengaleseBielorussoBirmanoBosniacoBulgaroCatalanoCebuanoCecoChichewaCinese sempCinese tradCoreanoCorsoCreolo HaitianoCroatoCurdoDaneseEbraicoEsperantoEstoneFilippinoFinlandeseFranceseFrisoneGaelico scozzeseGalizianoGalleseGeorgianoGiapponeseGiavaneseGrecoGujaratiHausaHawaianoHindiHmongIgboIndonesianoIngleseIrlandeseIslandeseItalianoKannadaKazakoKhmerKirghisoLaoLatinoLettoneLituanoLussemburgheseMacedoneMalayalamMaleseMalgascioMalteseMaoriMarathiMongoloNepaleseNorvegeseOlandesePashtoPersianoPolaccoPortoghesePunjabiRumenoRussoSamoanoSerboSesothoShonaSindhiSingaleseSlovaccoSlovenoSomaloSpagnoloSundaneseSvedeseSwahiliTagikoTailandeseTamilTedescoTeluguTurcoUcrainoUnghereseUrduUsbecoVietnamitaXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu
AfrikaansAlbaneseAmaricoAraboArmenoAzeroBascoBengaleseBielorussoBirmanoBosniacoBulgaroCatalanoCebuanoCecoChichewaCinese sempCinese tradCoreanoCorsoCreolo HaitianoCroatoCurdoDaneseEbraicoEsperantoEstoneFilippinoFinlandeseFranceseFrisoneGaelico scozzeseGalizianoGalleseGeorgianoGiapponeseGiavaneseGrecoGujaratiHausaHawaianoHindiHmongIgboIndonesianoIngleseIrlandeseIslandeseItalianoKannadaKazakoKhmerKirghisoLaoLatinoLettoneLituanoLussemburgheseMacedoneMalayalamMaleseMalgascioMalteseMaoriMarathiMongoloNepaleseNorvegeseOlandesePashtoPersianoPolaccoPortoghesePunjabiRumenoRussoSamoanoSerboSesothoShonaSindhiSingaleseSlovaccoSlovenoSomaloSpagnoloSundaneseSvedeseSwahiliTagikoTailandeseTamilTedescoTeluguTurcoUcrainoUnghereseUrduUsbecoVietnamitaXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

|
|
|

La funzione vocale è limitata a 200 caratteri

It has been a few months since I last installed. At that time, it was proposing “xfs” for “/home” and “btrfs” for the root file system.

A size of 400 mb seems way too small for “/home”. Did you mean “400 Gb”?

@nrickert

excuse me, I wrote bad … I meant 400gb

I noticed that if you make the partitions automatically, it actually proposes btrfs for / and xfs for home; while if you create the partitions by hand it automatically offers you btrfs for both.

since it proposes btrfs for / I think it can be considered safe even on home … maybe it has lower performance than xfs … I do not know … for this I would prefer your opinion.

Thank you

Unless you just want to run bench marks there is no noticeable speed difference between any of the main FS and the absolute difference are marginal with each beating the others in some test by a small percentage. If you want more speed better to go to SSDs which do speed things up significantly. Each FS has it’s own strengths and weaknesses.

BTRFS/Snapper on home makes little sense to me but make lots of sense on root with a rolling release like TW since you can expect a bit more breakage on upgrades because things are cutting edge,

@gogalthorp

on home the system does not enable snapper, it only offers the fs: btrfs.

I have a ssd because I have a laptop a bit 'dated (5 years) … however my question was mainly aimed at security not so much performance … I do not have to make races :slight_smile: I do a home use when I’m not trapped at work… :slight_smile:

thank you :slight_smile:

FS has little to do with security. The are all Linux FS so all have the same security features.

@gogalthorp
excuse me, for safety I was referring to the stability and not loss of data :slight_smile:

Personally, I use “ext4”, and I have never lost any data with “ext4”. However, in all honesty, there probably isn’t a lot of difference between them from a users point of view.

@nrickert thank you :slight_smile:

Well,
Let’s see about some possible reasons for BTRFS on /home…
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page#Major_Features_Currently_Implemented

The file system has a number of features that can be categorized as “auto-repair on the fly” so theoretically you might have fewer fs integrity problems but other mature fs like EXT4 have pretty good track records of reliability and stability, too.

As noted,
snapper won’t likely do anything for a btrfs /home but that’s probably more due to lack of a configuration. (I’m guessing).

TSU

@tsu2 thank you for your feedback

Alessandro, please stick to the default proposal. It’s IMO the best you can do. Unless you have a good understanding of filesystems and their pros and cons.

Just a FYI and use case…

I do a lot of virtualization on my main machine, creating “tiny” virtual machines to do specific tasks… I do this primarily to keep my main machine free from all the risks associated with a multitude of modifications that might collide, and to isolate setups that are highly customized.

In doing so, a number of my machines install mainly in the root partition and don’t install much in the /home partition. A graphical Desktop is usually installed which means the /home is used for that and more. Because the allocated disk space is typically small (50-100GB), disk space must be utilized efficiently so I install the entire system on a single partition and the entire partition is usually formatted BTRFS.

I’ve had no problems, and a single BTRFS partition for everything has worked fine in many virtual machines for at least a couple years now.

But, I do agree with @Knurpht’s recommendation…
Unless you have a special reason to deviate (eg in my case deploying on a single partition for disk storage efficiencies) you should simply accept the default layout because that will more than likely provide you with a number of benefits with little risk… And, help in these Forums will be more accurate and reliable if your layout is known.

@Knurpht and @tsu2 i thank you for your advice :slight_smile:

as I hae a dual boot with windows I use for both / and /home ext3 or 4 becouse there are quite reileable drivers for windows and I can access / and /home from windows