AMD Radeon 11.11 Drivers Are Out

Link: ATI Catalyst™ Proprietary Display Driver
Just installed it on 12.1 (the “hard way”). Seems to be doing OK.

I take that back. I can’t seem to keep desktop effects enabled.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 23:06:02 +0000, tweakhound wrote:

> I take that back. I can’t seem to keep desktop effects enabled.

What video controller have you got? I just picked up an inexpensive
system with the 4200 integrated controller, should be here next week so I
can test it out with 12.1.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
GPU: Radeon HD 5750
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T220 (22" LCD)

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:26:02 +0000, tweakhound wrote:

> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R GPU: Radeon HD 5750 Monitor: Samsung
> SyncMaster T220 (22" LCD)

OK, slightly higher end video than what I’ve ordered (the Radeon HD
4200), but when the system gets here I’ll see how it goes and if I can
duplicate with this driver.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Could you provide a link to the instructions you followed? Every attempt I have made to install fglrx on 12.1 resulted in me having to restore my entire partition from backup.

Are you running Gnome 3 or KDE? I just noticed a warning for Gnome 3 users and fglrx 11.10 here.

As an aside, the unofficial AMD wiki for Opensuse is woefully out of date.

May Tux be with me…

I will try to install this with my HD 6450. I will report back …unless… shudders

No… no… no…

These drivers also give me the Greenscreen of Nothingness… Removing them in Failsafe now… and downloading the hard way drivers…

Radeon HD 6450.

SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

I feel a need to bump this. [my setup is an hp dm1z/amd e350/radeon 6310/opensuse 12.1/tumbleweed gnome 3.2, fresh install with all current updates including packman]

I saw some time ago a comment/post regarding the changing of ‘the easy way’ instructions, or possibly ‘the hard way’ instructions, and since that I have been confused. Upon reading SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE I never see a ‘hard way’ I only see the manual way: SDB:ATI drivers - openSUSE

I assume the manual way is the hard way, and could really use some clarification. I just did the 12.1 to tumbleweed instructions and they mention doing the hard way installation of fglrx, so what I assume I should first do is remove radeon “free” drivers, and then proceed with the ‘hard way’ yet I have seen so many different methods of doing the install and never actually see a hard way for the ‘free’ drivers:

Is ‘the hard way’ only for the proprietary fglrx blob binaries?

Is there a way for me to just get rid of the radeonhd package and install the radeon package after updating/upgrading to tumbleweed?

After I had removed the default radeon package and realized I was stumped to what the next step was, being the hard way installation, I rebooted and now I have the radeonhd package.

How can I get back to just the radeon free drivers and get away from radeonhd, I no longer see the regular radeon drivers in yast>software management[edited]?

Any help and wisdom or criticism is needed…