I am building a new computer with AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics Processor on a MSi A75Ma-P335 (Model MS-7697) Main Board. From the System information page, Display Info says ATI Technologies, 2D driver fbdev and 3D Driver swrast (no 3D acceleration) (7.11).
To install open SUSE 12.1, I had to use “nomodeset”. After installation, I have a poor (characters stretched out sideways - eg O is oval, not round), but readable, display on the Acer v193w monitor.
I think I found the proper driver http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-driver-installer-12-3-x86.x86_64.run and downloaded it.
**First Question - Is this the proper driver for this hardware and openSUSE 12.1?
**Here are the instructions for installing the driver from SUSE/openSUSE - cchtml.com
OpenSuSe 12.1 (Driver from AMD website) easy way–only way so far…
- Download The Latest AMD Driver from ATI/AMD
- Open software manager in YAST and install 5 packages by hand:
kernel-devel kernel-desktop-devel gcc gcc-c++ make
OR use the terminal and run:
sudo zypper in kernel-devel kernel-desktop-devel gcc gcc-c++ make
If radeon driver is active
you must blacklist it, add this to boot paramaters (during grub startup menu):
radeon.modeset=0 blacklist=radeon 3
- This will disable radeon driver and boot into runlevel 3. SU to get root, run mkinitrd to make sure radeon stays blacklisted.
- (Comment) in case the above method does not help, you may try add to /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf the following line
- (Comment) Either way, when your linux booted, you should check whether the radeon kernel module is not loaded, run
lsmod | grep radeon if nothing comes up you are good to go
- cd to directory where proprietary “amd-driver-installer” is,
- install default (do not generate distibution package)
- verify /usr/share/ati fglrx-install.log, at the end of the file you should see "build succeeded with return value 0 duplicating results into driver repository…done.
- in terminal type:
- then run:
/sbin/shutdown -r now
I Think I can follow these instructions but I do not understand the “blacklist radeon” part. Radeon is loaded and running on my system.
Question Two - Is Radeon supposed to be permanently disabled or just disabled during the ATI driver installation?
Question Three - Has anyone here actually installed this driver? If so, was it successful?
Question Four - Do any of the pros here have further advice or suggestions?