I recently upgraded my system and made a completely fresh install of openSUSE 11.4 on the following hardware of interest (if there’s any other hardware of interest in this issue, please let me know):
AMD Phenom II X2 560
MSI 785GT-E63 motherboard with AMD785G chipset (the onboard audio registers as nVidia, though… no idea if that’s a false reading or not)
Sound Blaster Audigy
My intention was to use the Audigy for sound due to its hardware mixer and other features (I’m not really familiar with whatever the onboard HDMI audio is, I’m just going with what I’m comfortable).
Among the long list of things I wanted to do in order to get comfortable was to unpack a tar of the /usr/local/games directory from the old system I had made prior to rebuilding (the only things to survive from the old system was one IDE drive, a USB controller card and the Audigy). It contains a lot of older games that I no longer have the original media for, like some old Loki ports, a couple of Unreal Tournaments, Neverwinter Nights and Doom 3. Naturally, part of testing that everything was working right was playing some games. I did some of the more modern ones that I had gotten from repos (like Nexuiz), then the old ones. I don’t recall if it was Unreal Tournament 2004 or Doom 3 that had no sound and complained at the command line that it couldn’t find /dev/dsp, but making a symbolic link from /dev/dsp1 to /dev/dsp made it work.
Further messing around included setting up Wine, which is when I discovered that Wine doesn’t play well with that blasted pulseaudio. I found the thread with a link to serkbugs2’s builds and installed those, tested it with some random Windows game I looked up and it worked fine.
Something I’d put off previously and wanted to get to now that I had better hardware was trying the Quake 4 demo. So I did and it was working fine until some system sound happened. It stopped the audio. About a minute later, the audio started again… from the point where it left off. Exiting out of the game was strange because it got to the exit splash screen and wouldn’t do a **** thing until the audio had caught up. I shut it down and pulled up paprefs to turn on simultaneous output (and turn off the onboard sound, which I’d turned off in the BIOS and didn’t expect that would be ignored). It’s kind of odd to me, though, as it seems pulseaudio is completely bypassing the hardware mixer of the Audigy. I wouldn’t mind it doing that were it not for the fact that it did the same thing AGAIN when I tried to load the Quake 4 demo.
Long-winded story, I know, but I don’t know if there was anything I did in all of that which would cause this. I actually have YaST pulled up right now and was ready to uninstall pulseaudio before I wrote this, but figured I’d try first to see if there’s some simple thing I can do to get it working right.