Amarok suddenly no longer works

I run opensuse 13.1 with the default KDE desktop. Multimedia is all working (followed your description of installing codecs and switching to Packman). But since a few weeks Amorak is not working any more. It used to work previously and I presume it is since an update that something is wrong. I cannot say when exactly it stopped working only that it always used to work before.The installed version is amarok-2.8.0-23.3.i586. I tried to open from command line and get the following message:

:~>amarok
amarok: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libamarokshared.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE

So it seems to relate to the library but I have no idea how to fix it.
Cheers
Uli

Hi,

Try to install libtag1 from Packman repositories.

Command:

strings /usr/libtag.so.1 | grep _ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE

should return:

_ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE

Regards,

Antoine

Thanks, Antoine, libtag1 is already installed. I reinstalled it and the command gives:

> strings /usr/libtag.so.1 | grep _ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE
strings: '/usr/libtag.so.1': No such file

However now I get the following code when I try to start Amarok from cammandline:

amarok
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to  Phonon::AudioDataOutput ( no objectName ). 
Object::connect: No such signal Phonon::VLC::MediaObject::angleChanged(int)
Object::connect: No such signal Phonon::VLC::MediaObject::availableAnglesChanged(int)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
Could not parse stylesheet of widget 0x8de7e58
********************************************************************************************** 
** AMAROK WAS STARTED IN NORMAL MODE. IF YOU WANT TO SEE DEBUGGING INFORMATION, PLEASE USE: ** 
** amarok --debug                                                                           ** 
********************************************************************************************** 
uli@linux-top:/usr/lib> "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<lfm status="failed">
<error code="6">
    No user with that name was found
</error>
</lfm>
" 
Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
[0x9b871fa0] mpgatofixed32 audio converter error: libmad error: bad main_data_begin pointer
[0x9b871fa0] mpgatofixed32 audio converter error: libmad error: bad main_data_begin pointer

uli@linux-top:/usr/lib> cd
uli@linux-top:~> amarok
WARNING: Phonon::createPath: Cannot connect  Phonon::MediaObject ( no objectName ) to  Phonon::AudioDataOutput ( no objectName ). 
Object::connect: No such signal Phonon::VLC::MediaObject::angleChanged(int)
Object::connect: No such signal Phonon::VLC::MediaObject::availableAnglesChanged(int)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
Could not parse stylesheet of widget 0x9bb3ad0
** AMAROK WAS STARTED IN NORMAL MODE. IF YOU WANT TO SEE DEBUGGING INFORMATION, PLEASE USE: ** 
** amarok --debug                                                                           ** 

Cheers
Uli

Sorry, I meant /usr/**lib/**libtag.so.1 :wink:

So, it works? Don’t see a clear error message except libmad error, the output seems a bit messy to me, please launch Amarok only once.

Thanks Antoine - I should have spotted the /lib myself - that happenss when you do other things besides…
Yes I quit out and opened it again and suddenly it works again. Thanks again
Uli

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Hi there,

got a similar problem after an update:

Whenever I try to start Amarok (GUI: KDE 4.11.5) the jumping Amarok Icon appaers near to the cursor, takes a lot of time and then the icon disappears and …nothing, now warning, no message, simply nothing. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Amaraok … but still got the same problem.

Tried to start Amarok in the Konsole window and got the same message as already mentioned above:

amarok: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libamarokshared.so.1: undefined symbol: _ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE

So I immediatley tried to use the approach you guys discussed above:

Joe@Hasty:~> strings /usr/lib/libtag.so.1 | grep _ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE
strings: '/usr/lib/libtag.so.1': No such file

Obviously my case is similar, but there seems to be another problem as above the solution doesn’t work for me.

Any ideas what could be wrong ?

TIA, Joe

i have had the same problem in 13.1. my solution was to revert to the opensuse version of amarok.
open yast and check the amarok version: if it is from packman, revert to original.
this is how i solved the issue.

On 64bit versions of openSUSE, libtag.so.1 is in /usr/lib64:

strings /usr/lib64/libtag.so.1 | grep _ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE

Hi there,

I tried the

strings /usr/lib64/libtag.so.1 | grep _ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE

No error message (good), indeed no output at all (bad) …

Is there any better multimedia player than Amarok ? Had already 3 times in 1 year trouble with it and still don’t like the UI …

TIA, Joe

That means you probably haven’t installed libtag1 from Packman. Packman’s version of libtag1 has _ZTIN6TagLib3Ogg4Opus4FileE symbol, 13.1 oss repo’s doesn’t. That’s why I specified “from Packman” in my first reply. Please retry.

I think this question doesn’t belong to this topic :wink: