Amarok can't play CDs

I’m having trouble trying to get Amarok to play CDs or play tracks from any Media Device.

When I insert a CD into my CD drive the Device Notifier widget gives me 2 options “Play Audio CD with Kaffeine” and “Play Audio CD with Amarok”. Kaffeine can play the CD but Amarok doesn’t see the device.

Also when I attach my iPod to my computer I can view the files in Dolphin but the device isn’t shown in the Content Browser of Amarok.

In Amaroks configuration menu I have the plugins for both AudioCd Collection and iPod Collection

Amarok Version 2.4.1

openSUSE 11.4

uname -a
Linux linux-17ba.site 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-04-25 21:48:33 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any ideas?

I’m having trouble trying to get Amarok to play CDs or play tracks from any Media Device.

When I insert a CD into my CD drive the Device Notifier widget gives me 2 options “Play Audio CD with Kaffeine” and “Play Audio CD with Amarok”. Kaffeine can play the CD but Amarok doesn’t see the device.

Also when I attach my iPod to my computer I can view the files in Dolphin but the device isn’t shown in the Content Browser of Amarok.

In Amaroks configuration menu I have the plugins for both AudioCd Collection and iPod Collection

Amarok Version 2.4.1

openSUSE 11.4

uname -a
Linux linux-17ba.site 2.6.37.6-0.5-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-04-25 21:48:33 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any ideas?
I really like Amarok to play MP3’s and to manage my music library. However, this is not the program I would use to play straight Audio CD’s. As a KDE user, I will just use KsCD for that task and make sure Amarok is not loaded in the icon tray when using other such programs. However, if you have more than one Optical drive, you may need to look at the following thread on how to select your default player. It is also good to look at this if you have changed your Optical drive out recently.

Multimedia Optical Drive Naming (ie /dev/dvd & /dev/cdrom) Howto in opneSUSE

I must tell you if you want to use Amarok, just rip the Audio CD using a program like Asunder (highly recommended by me and found the Packman repository) and add it to your hard disk music collection like I do. As for other music players, I would suggest looking at other music player like Banshee (Part of Gnome, which you can install and use in KDE). I have a cheep Dynex player from Best Buy and it comes up just fine in Amarok, but name brand units often fail in Amarok it would seem.

Thank You,