Amarok analog audio out works, but not spdif

Hello:

Digital output works on my system in Alsaplayer, but not in Amarok. Is there a simple solution I have overlooked? Here is my system’s information: tsalsa.txt - nopaste.com (beta)

Thanks,

Steve

Your mixer strikes me as being a bit funny. Is not spdif digital and hence uses IEC958 ( < not sure as I don’t have this hardware > ) . If so, I note this for IEC958 (in red):

Amixer contents for card 0 [Intel] _____________________________________
amixer set ‘Surround’,0 0%,0% on
amixer set ‘Center’,0 0% on
amixer set ‘LFE’,0 0% on
amixer set ‘Side’,0 0%,0% on
amixer set ‘IEC958’,0 **off **
amixer set ‘IEC958 Default PCM’,0 on
I don’t have this hardware, so I do not know what the Surround, Center, LFE, nor side settings should be.

I see your PC has an ALC888. There have been some updates to the ALC888 since 1.0.16 of alsa. Take a look here:
Search results for ALC888 - AlsaProject

If you decide to try update your alsa, there is guidance here:
Alsa-update - openSUSE
Note you must send 6 zypper commands and not 3 (ie you need to update from 2 repositories). I am at loss and somewhat stunned by the number of users who do not read the update section properly and instead hose their system even more by performing the update. If you are totally confused, please advise, and I can copy and paste the EXACT commands you need to send to update alsa.

Thank-you, yes, my system has IEC958 and I was mistaken in it having spdif out. This is new to me and what I meant to indicate was amarok does not have digital output. :slight_smile:

Yes, my system is a bit funny. The only way I was able to get any digital output was to ‘play around’ with the alsamixergui and have settings as you saw. No other configuration will allow digital output. I am using this system as a media center and only need the digital out.

Being hesitant and new at this, I was hoping that I could ask for those commands to update alsa? :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Steve

Well, I installed the xine engine for amarok and the digital output works. The default yauap engine didn’t send a digital output. Would you happen to know why that is?

Steve

I just took a look at your script again. It indicates your kernel is: 2.6.26-default

Thats a new one on me. Did you custom compile this kernel?

The commands (to download from repos with pre-compiled alsa versions) I was going to recommend are only for use with stock kernels. Yours does not appear to be stock.

Yes, I custom compiled my kernel. My Rocket RAID 2340 raid array isn’t supported by the stock kernel and was a bit of a nightmare to install. This multimedia server has become a bit of a challenge but it was refreshing to get amarok fixed.

I will be using MythMusic mainly for playing music, but the stock packages aren’t working correctly. My next step is to try and compile it from scratch. You may see a few posts on that later :wink:

Thanks for your help,

Steve