Alternatives to Nautilus for openSUSE 12.3

Can anyone provide any suggestions for a Nautilus substitute that does
what Nautilus used to do in 12.1?

Nautilus is becoming useless as a file manager.
I want something that is quick and easy to use and allows me to perform
file management tasks in the most convenient way possible.

What is wrong with the new version.

  1. Fills whole screen.
  2. Can’t open 2 windows side by side or over/under.
  3. Does not seem to support scripts anymore.
  4. Can’t get a tree view on the left side.
  5. No longer shows file date and time.
  6. Can’t minimize, maximize or close from upper right corner.
  7. Can’t right click and create new folder.

It has become very cumbersome to use to perform normal file management
functions.

I am currently playing with Dolphin, Konquerer and Gnome-Commander.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris F

Boot#1|openSUSE 12.3 x86_64|Gnome 3.6.2|nVidia-current
Boot#2|openSUSE 12.1 x86_64|Gnome 3.2|nVidia-current
Boot#3|openSUSE 11.4 x86_64|Gnome 2.32/KDE 4.6|nVidia 260.19.36
Boot#4|openSUSE 11.3 x86_64|Gnome 2.3|nVidia 260.19.36
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H|AMD Phenom IIx6 1055T
4 x 4GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz DDR3|GeForce 8400GS 512MB

On 2013-03-21 17:21, chrisf wrote:
>
> I am currently playing with Dolphin, Konquerer and Gnome-Commander.
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thunar.
Krusader.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On 03/21/2013 06:13 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> I am currently playing with Dolphin, Konquerer and Gnome-Commander.
>> >Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thunar.
> Krusader.

Midnight Commander!
Konqueror


dd
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobile” of operating systems!

On Thu 21 Mar 2013 04:21:51 PM CDT, chrisf wrote:

What is wrong with the new version.

  1. Fills whole screen.
    To get it back to normal size, grab and move, eg alt+mouse pointer,
    click-> move
  1. Can’t open 2 windows side by side or over/under.
    Not sure, I thought it would snap…never tried. There maybe an
    extension about to fix that…
  1. Does not seem to support scripts anymore.
    Sounds like a missing plugin?
  1. Can’t get a tree view on the left side.
    Yup, guess it got depricated…
  1. No longer shows file date and time.
    Click on the down arrow to set, or on the panel, click on the ‘files’
    icon and set your preferences. Or on the top right-hand area click on
    the list view (three bars).
  1. Can’t minimize, maximize or close from upper right corner.
    Add back via the tweak-tool?
  1. Can’t right click and create new folder.
    That option is still there?


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
up 16:06, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.05
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

On Thu 21 Mar 2013 06:02:14 PM CDT, malcolmlewis wrote:

  1. Can’t open 2 windows side by side or over/under.
    Not sure, I thought it would snap…never tried. There maybe an
    extension about to fix that…

Hi
Drag the window left or right screen corners and it will highlight the
area and maximize to half the screen width…

Also note, to max/min <super> up/down does the same job;

More info here;
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeOS/Design/Whiteboards/WindowStates


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
up 16:43, 3 users, load average: 0.15, 0.29, 0.27
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

Thanks Malcolm.
Could not get this to send via nntp

On 3/21/2013 2:02 PM, malcolmlewis wrote:> [QUOTE]
> On Thu 21 Mar 2013 04:21:51 PM CDT, chrisf wrote:
>
>
> What is wrong with the new version.
> 1) Fills whole screen.
> To get it back to normal size, grab and move, eg alt+mouse pointer,
> click-> move
I can’t get this to work under VMware. I’ll try later on real hardware.

>
> 2) Can’t open 2 windows side by side or over/under.
> Not sure, I thought it would snap…never tried. There maybe an
> extension about to fix that…
I will have a look. I’m not happy about having to use extensions to replace lost functionality.

>
> 3) Does not seem to support scripts anymore.
> Sounds like a missing plugin?
I read somewhere the other day that scripts were no longer supported.
I’ll try to find the reference.

>
> 4) Can’t get a tree view on the left side.
> Yup, guess it got depricated…
IMHO, this makes a file manager much less friendly.

>
> 5) No longer shows file date and time.
> Click on the down arrow to set, or on the panel, click on the ‘files’
> icon and set your preferences. Or on the top right-hand area click on
> the list view (three bars).
Shows date or time, if today’s date, but not both date and time.
I may be thinking of another OS?

>
> 6) Can’t minimize, maximize or close from upper right corner.
> Add back via the tweak-tool?
Used tweak-tools to get that back for other apps.
Does not seem to apply to Nautilus.

>
> 7) Can’t right click and create new folder.
> That option is still there?
Oops! Yes it is, but not where I was used to using it.
Part of the problem is not learning the new, it’s unlearning the old.

The WindowStates link is interesting.
Files(Nautilus) is supposed to open full screen by default and does not have the minimize, maximize, close button options by design.


Chris F

Boot#1|openSUSE 12.3 x86_64|Gnome 3.6.2|nVidia-current
Boot#2|openSUSE 12.1 x86_64|Gnome 3.2|nVidia-current
Boot#3|openSUSE 11.4 x86_64|Gnome 2.32/KDE 4.6|nVidia 260.19.36
Boot#4|openSUSE 11.3 x86_64|Gnome 2.3|nVidia 260.19.36
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H|AMD Phenom IIx6 1055T
4 x 4GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz DDR3|GeForce 8400GS 512MB

chrisf,

Try 4pane. I’m a dinosour with opensuse 11.4, gnome 2 (where nautilus works), and nautilus 2.3. When I get stuck for complex flle manipulation tasks I use 4pane. It’s kind of like the old nautilus with the extra pane and additional functionality. It seems to have all the features available that the new nautilus has bypassed. I keep one 4pane on desktop for user and one on desktop for a root files.

There’s many additional features incorporated into 4pane that i’ve not yet explored but i find this very useful at times. I assume 4pane is still available in the “modern” opensuse/gnome versions.

Tom Kosvic

Marlin is my choice

I think there is a repo for it in openSUSE

On 2013-03-23 01:06, MadmanRB wrote:
>
> Marlin is my choice
>
> I think there is a repo for it in openSUSE

No.


> <http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=marlin&baseproject=openSUSE%3A12.1&search_devel=true&search_unsupported=false>

nor here:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_%28disambiguation%29>

I only see it in launchpad, and no files.

<https://launchpad.net/marlin>



Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On Sat 23 Mar 2013 01:23:06 AM CDT, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2013-03-23 01:06, MadmanRB wrote:
>
> Marlin is my choice
>
> I think there is a repo for it in openSUSE

No.

I only see it in launchpad, and no files.

https://launchpad.net/marlin

Hi
There is code there, somebody on the GNOME:Ayatana OBS project should
be able to build it… it’s a unity thing…


Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.1-desktop
up 13:35, 4 users, load average: 0.15, 0.17, 0.14
CPU Intel® i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | GPU Intel® Ironlake Mobile

No marlin in openSUSE?
That stinks, as its seventy billion times better then nautilus.

On 03/22/2013 10:36 PM, MadmanRB pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> No marlin in openSUSE?
> That stinks, as its seventy billion times better then nautilus.
>
>
There is a 12.2 build in the home: projects that works. Don’t know how
well as I have never used it before. Found with package search.

http://software.opensuse.org/package/marlin

On 2013-03-23 04:35, Ken Schneider wrote:

> There is a 12.2 build in the home: projects that works. Don’t know how
> well as I have never used it before. Found with package search.
>
> http://software.opensuse.org/package/marlin

Only for 12.2.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On 03/23/2013 09:03 AM, Carlos E. R. pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
> On 2013-03-23 04:35, Ken Schneider wrote:
>
>> There is a 12.2 build in the home: projects that works. Don’t know how
>> well as I have never used it before. Found with package search.
>>
>> http://software.opensuse.org/package/marlin
> Only for 12.2.
>
But it may also work for 12.3 as it noes not pull from other repos.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
I’m still trying out various options.
Gnome Commander, Krusader, Thunar and 4 Pane are my top choices so far.

Regarding scripts support for Nautilus.
They are still supported, but their location has changed.
Under 12.1 they ran from .gnome/nautilus-scripts
Under 12.3 they will run from
.local/share/nautilus/scripts

Chris

Nemo is a fork of Nautilus created by the guys at Linux Mint that they created due to their frustrations with the decisions made with Nautilus recently, so that may be the most natural transition for you to make - they basically re-instated lots of the functionality that newer versions of Nautilus had removed unnecessarily. It should be available in the repos or in the OBS, so try it out and see what you think!