Alternative to skype?

Is there a real alternative to skype that works really well on Linux?

What exactly do you require this skype like app to do?

> Is there a real alternative to skype that works really well on Linux?

is it possible you don’t know that real Skype runs really well on Linux ??

at least mine does…works perfect…including video-phone


goldie

True.
But some are having issues with the video side. Laptop built in Cam’s and all that.

I’m not disputing that it works well on some linux OS’s and harware. I’m just asking if there are alternatives (and the linux part is because I don’t want to use windows). :slight_smile:

I don’t know of a anything to provide the same service as Skype. Although I don’t use it myself. I do use VoIP but via a SIP gateway and I never use video phone either.
I guess you are saying Skype is not working for you?

But many people incorrectly think software such as Skype is required for IP phones - It’s not.

if you live in the USA there is a competing service…but,
unfortunately, i forgot what it is called…wait, i remember it
because a guy (in these fora) was unable to get it to work because it
required Windows…he couldn’t even get it to run in WINE…[which
promts me to ask: have you tried running the Windows Skype client in
WINE? or a VM?]

have you described your Skype problems, asked for help and not found a
solution? (i know i could look, but your post beginning this thread
didn’t say, and imo should have)


goldie

I’m not understanding why everyone assumes that me asking for alternatives means that Skype doesn’t work, or why some of you seem upset that I did not list problems with Skype. I just want alternatives (preferably open source). That’s all. :slight_smile:

There are a bunch of alternatives on windows but on Linux I have yet to find any. So I’m asking. What’s wrong with choice and wanting to look at other options? Just because Ubuntu works on my hardware, does that mean I can’t try out openSUSE?

> I’m not understanding why everyone assumes

if you had said what you were looking for, and why, you could have cut
off all this unnecessary guessing…

see: http://is.gd/2BfI3

you apparently want an open source voice, video, text and file/data
passing link all rolled up in one program that can also call land line
and mobile telephones around the world…

but, compatible with what (you didn’t say)? telephones around the
world? look to VoIP (but, it won’t do data or video at the same time)

or with all the micro$ofties out there on their ‘messenger’? take a
look at aMSN (i have no idea what it will do, but i don’t think either
can call a telephone in China)

it will not be compatible with Skype unless it is Skype…


platinum
Give a hacker a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach how to ask the smart way and you feed him for a lifetime.

You can use ekiga for voice/video and pidgin for chat. I have both of those running, but what I use is Skype. Skype works pretty much anywhere - no firewall issues - which is important to me since I travel. Also, it seems that everyone that I communicate with in this way uses Skype, and they are not going to change just to accommodate me. lol!

The latest version of Skype (2.1) fixed most of it’s more annoying bugs - if you haven’t tried it, you should.

platinum wrote:

>> I’m not understanding why everyone assumes
>
> if you had said what you were looking for, and why, you could have cut
> off all this unnecessary guessing…

Maybe it’s me but i found his question pretty clear.
He even says in a later post that he doesn’t dispute the fact that skype
runs well on linux and he is still getting a reply asking about his problems
with skype :s

Why people start quessing when something is not clear weird also.
If something is not clear, ask for clarification, or if someone thinks he or
she shouldn’t have to, then don’t reply at all.


Chris Maaskant

Thanks! I was starting to think maybe I was crazy. :slight_smile:

> Maybe it’s me but i found his question pretty clear.

i don’t see where you answered him, clearly.


platinum

Installed latest skype but when I test the video, it crashes.

platinum wrote:

>> Maybe it’s me but i found his question pretty clear.
>
> i don’t see where you answered him, clearly.
>
That’s because i didn’t.
And your point is?


Chris Maaskant

If you want voice chat you are mostly stuck with VOIP client such as ekiga and tinkle.
I do not know of any video chat clients other then doing video chat over MSN using AMSN.

But if Skype works, why not use it? I also consider this to be a bit of a vague question.
I’ll be looking into getting 2.1 when I’m home. Still using 2.0 :slight_smile:

Should this thread be moved to Looking for something else?

Read the thread all through. The OP’s question is clear and the answer could simply be that there is no all-in-one alternative for linux (nor for Windows of Mac AFAIK).

But there’s a bit more: these days Skype is still owned by eBay, but it’s on the market, and it’s closed source. This means that it may be free as in ‘free beers’ but not free as in ‘free speech’. In the past the people looking for free altertives, free as in both beer and speech, have brought us the OS we’re discussing here. And that’s just one thing. Freedom of choice is another.

There used to be a project called IHU ( I hear U). It used IP to IP connection, great sound quality. Haven’t heard from it for a while.
I run Skype 64bit, everything works as it should.

> And your point is?

it is easy to claim the question was clear when no one can point to
your answer and say, Yep he understood the question! or not.


platinum

This isn’t a replacement for Skype, but if anyone just wants voice and/or video chat, there’s a Google facility. I haven’t tried it yet, but I will soon.

Disclaimer: I haven’t answered the original question because I can’t. I haven’t criticised the questioner because I thought the question was clear enough.

The problem is: you won’t be able to try it in linux! This really annoys me about Google since their infrastructure is linux. It’s like having a relative that you deny knowing. Very uncool. >:(