Alt + Ctrl + Del again

I want to reassign the Alt+Ctrl+Del on computers of my users to “shut down” bat will not “restart”.

Reassign the Alt+Ctrl+Del prescribed in the file: /etc/inittab always. But with versions of openSUSE 13.* this file contains one line - id:5:initdefault only.

We can use the YaST entry “Security and Users” | “Security Center and Hardening”, | “Boot Settings”, ostensibly allowing you to reassign the Alt+Ctrl+Del.

But this setting off and not “keep” and the **Alt+Ctrl+Del **still restarts the computer only.

Tell me something please.

Forget that!
/etc/inittab is not used nor respected by systemd at all. Nothing new for 13.1, systemd is the default init system since 12.1, and is the only one supported since 12.3.

See also here: ctrl alt del option in inittab - has it stopped working in 12.1? - Install/Boot/Login - openSUSE Forums

“man systemd.special” says this:

ctrl-alt-del.target
systemd starts this target whenever Control+Alt+Del is pressed on the console. Usually this should be aliased (symlinked) to reboot.target.

So symlink this to shutdown.target, I guess, to override it:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/shutdown.target /etc/systemd/system/ctrl-alt-del.target

I haven’t tried it, but according to the documentation and my understanding it should work.

We can use the YaST entry “Security and Users” | “Security Center and Hardening”, | “Boot Settings”, ostensibly allowing you to reassign the Alt+Ctrl+Del.

But this setting off and not “keep” and the **Alt+Ctrl+Del **still restarts the computer only.

You should file a bug report about that.
http://bugzilla.novell.com/ (same username/password as here)

Wolfi323. Thank you very much for the explanation and hint.

I found these files and redirect the link ctrl-alt-del.target to the desired file.

Though I referred not to shutdown.target (the file shutdown.target is “empty”) and the poweroff.target, because I need to get by using the ctrl-alt-del for switch off power supply.

Regards Dremu4ii

Empty? It shouldn’t be.
It contains this here:

wolfi@amiga:~> cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/shutdown.target
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

[Unit]
Description=Shutdown
Documentation=man:systemd.special(7)
DefaultDependencies=no
RefuseManualStart=yes
wolfi@amiga:~> 

and the poweroff.target, because I need to get by using the ctrl-alt-del for switch off power supply.

You’re right. poweroff.target is the correct one for powering off the system.
This occured to me after posting, but I forgot to add a note.

But you figured it out anyway… :wink:

Wolfi323. Thank you very much for the answer.

Sorry, wolfi323. “Empty” I meant that it has a section [Unit] only and has not section [Install], so when I have it activated and pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del, my machine really stop, but not power off
and NOT LONGER take any keystrouke from my keyboard. Only “cold” reboot. That is why do I call it “empty”.

Wolfi323, please Can you give me one advice else?

Before (OpenSuSE 11.*) we can edit and set:
-the name of menu items loading;
-their number;
-localizing the boot record, (if booting other operating systems);
-boot sequence hard drives (HDD).

We can do it and configure and edit in files /boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/device.map

Starting with OpenSuSE 12.* these files are gone and this makes some other program. Please tell me how I can be do it in versions 12.* and late?

Regards
Dremu4ii.

Yes, that’s just the same as running “halt” manually.
I.e. it stops all services, but does not power off or reboot.

We can do it and configure and edit in files /boot/grub/menu.lst and /boot/grub/device.map
Starting with OpenSuSE 12.* these files are gone and this makes some other program. Please tell me how I can be do it in versions 12.* and late?

Not quite.
Those files are used by grub1, which is still available in 12.2 and up, although grub2 is the default now.
Just switch back to “GRUB” in YaST->System->Boot Loader, and you should be able to do same as before, in the exact same way.

-the name of menu items loading;
-their number;

Those things should be possible with grub2 as well.
As you say yourself, grub2’s menu is created automatically though.
This is done by calling scripts in /etc/grub.d/. You could change those scripts in any way you like to get a menu you like.
You can even put your own custom menu into /boot/grub2/custom.cfg (it doesn’t exist by default, so just create it), this gets appended to the standard menu.

There are even “menu editors”, see this e.g.:
https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer
An openSUSE package is available here:
http://software.opensuse.org/package/grub-customizer

-localizing the boot record, (if booting other operating systems)

Not sure I understand that correctly.

You mean that other operating systems get added to the menu?
This should be done automatically.
Check that “Probe foreign OS” is activated in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Boot Loader Options.

-boot sequence hard drives (HDD).

You can set that in YaST->System->Boot Loader->Installation Details even with Grub2.
And the file is still called “device.map”. :wink: (but it’s located in /boot/grub2/ now of course)