all I want is a static ip

I am a network admin for a school. I am interested in Opensuse because of the education repository that hopefully will make installing openbiblio easy. It requires a static ip address. After a successful install of the OS, I go into Yast>Network Devices>Network Settings. Under overview, I click edit and change the ip address from dhcp to static. But, after… no internet. What can I do to figure this out? Thanks.

once you’ve given the device a static i.p. you must also give it the default route/gateway address

Andy

There may be some help here
HowTo Configure a network card in Suse/openSUSE 10, 11 for LAN and Internet Access.

n00b question: How do you deal with the DNS addresses? It’s something you don’t have to do with DHCP. A few times I wanted to do this but I don’t know the addresses.
n00b idea: Is it the same as the gateway, as I don’t have a direct connection (whatever this means) to my provider?

Sorry I explain it so badly, am in a hurry to catch a plane.

Hope this reply is not too late.

My approach to finding your DNA addresses, would to be configure your nic for DHCP and then record the DNS values you get :slight_smile:

EDIT: Look at /etc/resolve.conf

Then re-configure for static IP and use the DNS addresses obtained above.

Cheers

You will also want the static address on the same subnet as the rest of you network, or at least the gateway. Be careful to not set address to one in the scope of DHCP, or you may run into a conflict.

Hello,

Here is a shortlist :stuck_out_tongue: of what to do configuring a Static Address.

First,
Open Yast > Network Devices > Network Settings.
Verify you only have one logical device and is likely configured for DHCP. Oftentimes, when moving a VM around or connecting to a different network the YAST boot auto-discovery creates a new, unconfigured logical device while the old device which no longer works still exists (IMO is an irritating YAST bug, it doesn’t exist in other distros I’ve used).

If you see 2 devices, delete the device that’s configured (it looks live, but it’s really dead) and configure the remaining unconfigured device (can be static or DHCP).

When you have only one device, do the following

1. Configure the Global Options tab
Configure use traditional “IFDOWN/IFUP” so you can manually re-cycle the NIC later. Irritating you can’t do this with Network Manager.

2. Configure the Overview tab
Select your NIC
Click Edit
Select Statically Assigned IP Address
Enter IP address (IPv4 address)
Enter Subnet Mask
Enter FQDN for Hostname (not just Hostname), eg machinename.domainname.com
FYI - At this point, note the name of your interface (typically eth0, but can be eth1, eth2, etc if you’ve been moving between networks)
Click “Next”

3. Configure Hostname/DNS tab
Enter Hostname (just the Hostname, not the FQDN), recommend all lower case in case an application tries to use this entry (otherwise case unimportant for normal use)
Enter Domain Name
Check “Write Hostname to /etc/hosts” (be sure to <uncheck> this if you intend to edit the hosts file directly)
Enter DNS server(s) in Name Server input boxes
Check the box “Change /etc/resolv/conf manually” or your new entries won’t become effective

4. Edit the Routing tab
Enter the Gateway IP address for “Default Gateway”
Ordinarily no other alternate gateways should be configured

When all that is done, click “Finish” to write your new configuration.

To enable your changes, open a Bash window, enable root privileges (su) then remembering the network interface you noted in step 2 do an

ifdown [network interface]
ifup [network interface]

eg

ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

You can now check your handiwork with ifconfig and ping your gateway and remote hosts by IP address and hostname.

Have fun…

Thanks, resolve.conf has as nameservers the gateways of the wireless router and the ADSL modem, which worked as a router before I installed the wr and was too lazy to reconfigure. It’s like this:

domain site

nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 192.168.0.1

So simple, and it puzzled me for so long… Not that I did anything except think about it :slight_smile:

@tsu2

Thanks, this will also help.