All Drives Not Recognized on Install (SATA 6)

I just built a new system which has 4 SATA 3 Drives and 2 SATA 6 drives. The motherboard is an Asus P6X58D Premium which has 2 SATA 6 ports through a Marvel controller.

I have Windows 7 loaded on one of those SATA 6 drives and it recognizes and boots fine. My intent was to load openSUSE 11.3 on the other SATA 6 drive all by itself and then use the SATA 3 drives as other file systems.

When I go to install, the only drives that the openSUSE installer sees are the 4 SATA 4 drives, the SATA 6 drives do not appear at all. Note that when the system boots from the DVD the load of the Marvel Controller says IDE Passthrough Mode and displays those two drives.

So how do I get openSUSE to see those drives so I can install and setup Grub to boot from there. I’m afraid if I install to just the SATA 3 drives, then I’ll never get to Windows 7 again (should I ever need it :slight_smile: ) without much gyrations.

I’ve also tried booting from gparted-live and it does not see them either.

HELP!

Thanks in advance.

I just built a new system which has 4 SATA 3 Drives and 2 SATA 6 drives. The motherboard is an Asus P6X58D Premium which has 2 SATA 6 ports through a Marvel controller.

I have Windows 7 loaded on one of those SATA 6 drives and it recognizes and boots fine. My intent was to load openSUSE 11.3 on the other SATA 6 drive all by itself and then use the SATA 3 drives as other file systems.

When I go to install, the only drives that the openSUSE installer sees are the 4 SATA 4 drives, the SATA 6 drives do not appear at all. Note that when the system boots from the DVD the load of the Marvel Controller says IDE Passthrough Mode and displays those two drives.

So how do I get openSUSE to see those drives so I can install and setup Grub to boot from there. I’m afraid if I install to just the SATA 3 drives, then I’ll never get to Windows 7 again (should I ever need it :slight_smile: ) without much gyrations.

I’ve also tried booting from gparted-live and it does not see them either.

HELP!

Thanks in advance.
So, this does sound a little confusing, but let me relate something to you. The kernel version in openSUSE 11.3 has a few issues, such as fstab support for USB 3 drives. Next, is computer BIOS support. If you can not select a hard drive connected to your computer as the first boot drive in your BIOS setup, it matters not if the openSUSE installer sees it or not. You can not boot from it. So, look at you BIOS setup and see if you can select the SATA 6 drives as boot drives. If you can not, these drives will never be anything but data drives on this motherboard.

To see if it is a kernel version issue, why not download openSUSE 11.4 M5, make a DVD and boot from it to see if the SATA 6 drives can be used for the install. In the case of USB 3, I have a motherboard that has USB 3 support built in, but I can not select them as the boot drive and kernel 2.6.34 (in openSUSE 11.3) fails to load any USB 3 drives you try to mount in the fstab file even as USB 3 drives show up in the Installation program for openSUSE 11.2 just fine with its even older kernel 2.6.31. The problem can be BIOS support related or kernel version support related and I am not sure which one it is in your case. If openSUSE 11.4 M5 with kernel 2.6.37 does not help, you could be in trouble using your SATA 6 drives on this motherboard for any purpose at all with openSUSE.

Thank You,

Thanks for the quick response. In answer to the BIOS point, yes, the two SATA 6 drives are listed as boot order 1 and 2. Please note also that the Windows 7 install does boot just fine from the SATA 6 drive identified as boot order 1.

I guess I’ll have to try the 11.4 M5 and see if the kernel in the next release will take care of it. Seems like a long time to have to wait. :frowning: Kind of anxious to see this puppy run.

Thanks again for the quick response. Very much appreciated.

Thanks for the quick response. In answer to the BIOS point, yes, the two SATA 6 drives are listed as boot order 1 and 2. Please note also that the Windows 7 install does boot just fine from the SATA 6 drive identified as boot order 1.

I guess I’ll have to try the 11.4 M5 and see if the kernel in the next release will take care of it. Seems like a long time to have to wait. :frowning: Kind of anxious to see this puppy run.

Thanks again for the quick response. Very much appreciated.
Yes, the final release of openSUSE 11.4 is still a couple of months away I guess, but M5 is really stable and so worth a look. I must admit that every time you do an installation of a beta openSUSE version, you may be challenging fate with your present setup. So, if you are like me and like a challenge and keep a backup of any important data then give openSUSE 11.4 M5 a try. Otherwise, play it safe and wait for the new release to come out in a few months.

Thank You,

The motherboard is an Asus P6X58D Premium which has 2 SATA 6 ports through a Marvel controller.
Perhaps the issue discussed here?

Well, downloaded the 11.4 M5 Release and tried going through the install process. It does not see those drives either. :frowning: Very discouraging. Not sure how to proceed at this point. I didn’t want a winDOHS only box for sure and without all the storage devices recognized this is not looking good.

Do not despair just yet as according to the article you pointed to support occurs in “it will be kernel 2.6.37-8 and above, that should have the Marvell 9128”. openSUSE 11.4 is just at rc5 and kernel 2.6.37 final is already out. So, I am assuming that with the release of openSUSE 11.4 M6 we will see the final kernel 2.6.37 included and then is when you will get your big chance to see if this will save you or not.

Thank You,

Yup, that would be the one. :slight_smile: Ok, I’ll be patient, hard though want to play with my shiny new box.

Thanks to all for finding that and providing hope.

Just downloaded and tried install of openSuSE 11.4 Milestone 6. Still no joy. It does not even see the two drives on the Marvell SATA 6 controller. Not pleased.

Just downloaded and tried install of openSuSE 11.4 Milestone 6.   Still no joy.  It does not even see the two drives on the Marvell SATA 6  controller.  Not pleased.                 

How did you get it installed? I had hell installing it tonight, though I do have it running. I had serious problems with the 64 DVD, which I did overcome, but it is hard to say this might not still have an issue of some sort. For what it is worth, one could even install kernel 2.6.38-rc2 if one wanted to try that.

Thank You,

I burned it on to a DL DVD after I figured out what was going on. There was no indication in K3B whatsoever that the media was too big for the drive, it just keep saying over and over insert an empty medium. I downloaded the Gnome burner Brasero and it gave a nice readable informative error message so I know from that (hint to developers).

I didn’t actually install it on the box I just wanted to see if the install procedure would recognize the drives now so I could install the O/S on one of those drives like I did Windows 7 (it is on the other one and boots just fine).

Hopefully, this is not the final kernel, from what little I was able to find it sounded like the final 2.6.37 kernel was in the Milestone 6 release. If that is true, then I guess I end up wasting 1TB of disk. :frowning:

Hopefully, this is not the final kernel, from what little I was able to find it sounded like the final 2.6.37 kernel was in the Milestone 6 release. If that is true, then I guess I end up wasting 1TB of disk. :frowning:
Well kernel 2.6.37 has been released as the most recent stable version and is finalized. Work has already begun on 2.6.38 with rc2 being out. However, openSUSE 11.4 is not even in rc status just yet and with the problems on the DVD, who knows what else may be wrong. I will say that since the kernel in openSUSE 11.4 is the 2.6.37 final, it does not bode well for your situation. But as I said before, it will be possible to upgrade to kernel 2.6.38 in openSUSE 11.4, but that will not permit the booting from any drives that do not work with 2.6.37, even if they do work with kernel 2.6.38.

Thank You,

PS, I just tried out a RAID controller, that cost under $30 US, It is a PCIe add-in controller from Vantec model UGT-IS100R and provides 2 internal SATA and 2 External eSTAT and one internal PATA connection. It supports RAID 0, 1, 0/1 up to four SATA drives Total with SATA II 300 support. I just confirmed that it works with openSUSE 11.4 and kernel 2.6.37. Not that you want to spend more money, but this is one solution. It seems to use a JMICRON chip of some sort.

I just checked the final release of 11.4, it does not recognize the SATA 6 drives running off the Marvell 9123 controller chip. I’m afraid if I install it, then I won’t be able to boot windows at all without screwing with the Bios settings every time I want to switch.

Nutz. Guess I have to wait another 8 months now for 11.5 or 12.0 or whatever it will be.

On 03/12/2011 12:06 PM, DMCorsa wrote:
>
> I just checked the final release of 11.4, it does not recognize the SATA
> 6 drives running off the Marvell 9123 controller chip. I’m afraid if I
> install it, then I won’t be able to boot windows at all without screwing
> with the Bios settings every time I want to switch.
>
> Nutz. Guess I have to wait another 8 months now for 11.5 or 12.0 or
> whatever it will be.

If you wait, it will likely never work!

First of all, this is not an openSUSE problem - it is the kernel that is not
working. You need to report this at bugzilla.kernel.org and properly document
the BIOS setting that works with Window$, the changes needed to use Linux, and
the full lspci output for that controller. In that venue, it will be seen by the
disk driver people. If they come up with a fix and it is not too invasive, it
will be backported to 2.6.37 and appear in an update for openSUSE 11.4. Even if
not suitable for backporting, it will be in 11.5.

Ok thanks. I will do that.

DMCorsa wrote:
> lwfinger;2302804 Wrote:
>> On 03/12/2011 12:06 PM, DMCorsa wrote:
>>> I just checked the final release of 11.4, it does not recognize the
>> SATA
>>> 6 drives running off the Marvell 9123 controller chip. I’m afraid if

>> First of all, this is not an openSUSE problem - it is the kernel that
>> is not
>> working. You need to report this at bugzilla.kernel.org and properly
>> document

> Ok thanks. I will do that.

Before making a new report, I suggest searching for an existing one! It
quite likely already exists. It’s also worth checking the archives of
the linux-ide mailing list and posting your detailed symptoms there
first. They will fast track you to the right course of action.