ailurus

ailurus is looking for a developer to join them to add support for openSUSE: Issue 306 - ailurus - additional distro support - Project Hosting on Google Code

oddball33 wrote:
> ailurus is looking for a developer to join them to add support for
> openSUSE: ‘Issue 306 - ailurus - additional distro support - Project
> Hosting on Google Code’
> (Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.)

never heard of ailurus so i had a look and see:

Ailurus is an application which makes Linux easier to use.

i have nothing at all against progress but, openSUSE is already easy
to use! (just different from some other software)

Features:

• Help users learn some Linux skills

openSUSE has documentation, a wiki, and a very active forum and loads
of other stuff, already–just what does ailurus add??

• Install some nice applications

we have thousands of those already…what does ailurus offer which is
not already available either in the openSUSE repos or other trusted
places on the web?

• Enable some third party repositories

on no! which third party repos do you add that include rpms? how do we
know they are safe? what do they offer that we need? are they all open
source?

• Display basic hardware information

got that already…(as well as hardware info which is WAY past just
‘basic’)

• Clean APT/YUM cache

we don’t use either APT or YUM, so we don’t need that…and, as far as
i know YaST cleans its “cache” automatically…

• Backup and recover APT/YUM status

don’t need that either…

• Change GNOME settings

we can do that already!!

but, good luck with helping Ubuntu, Mint and Fedora users…well, of
course any developer who wants to help them may…but, i honestly
can’t see why?

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Hey,

Seems there are some misunderstanding :slight_smile:

Because the introduction is written for other Linux distributions, some of them are wrong. Let me explain.

As far as I know, Ailurus can display a Linux skill in a bubble. If the computer is offline, the Linux skill bubble still works.

Ailurus can install nice firefox extensions, which is downloaded from mozilla public ftp. Maybe it is OK to you.

“Enable some third party repositories”? No. This is a misunderstanding. Ailurus cannot enable any third party repos on OpenSUSE :slight_smile:

“Display basic hardware information”? Seems not “basic”.
It can display CPU level 1 cache size, battery capacity, etc.

“Clean APT/YUM cache, Backup and recover APT/YUM status”? No.
Ailurus cannot do that on OpenSUSE.

“Change GNOME settings”? Only works on GNOME version.

Thank oddball33 for posting this message!
I would like to do some supplement.

1. I am downloading OpenSUSE 11.3-Milestone7. After that I will install it, in order to check whether OpenSUSE really need Ailurus.

2. If you like, you may download http://ailurus.googlecode.com/files/ailurus-10.05.93.tar.gz. Then run “sudo setup.py install” to install it.

3. If some people would like to join Ailurus development, welcome!

Like DenverD I also visited the Ailurus pages. I do not understand very much of it. It concentrates most on how to install it, but it fails to explain what it does and how. A documentation page (or pages) could explain a lot, but fails to be availiable.

Now at least I (and I suppose many others) do not install software on the base of such vague information and imho only the very dariing would do so in a sandbox at most. But findind out what it is, does and can be, takes a lot of time. And then the testing has still to commence. And who will start spending the time to do so for so vague a promise that it might be helpfull?

Your statement: “As far as I know, Ailurus can display a Linux skill in a bubble. If the computer is offline, the Linux skill bubble still works.” sounds like a magic spell to me. My imagination fales to play anything before my mind. In short, I do not understand a … of it.

DenverD only showed you what the home page says and what he thinks when he reads this. It is needless to admit that from the openSUSE point of view more then half of it is nonsense. What he and I mean is: we need a more eleborate explanation on what ailurus hopes to do, how it wants to do this (after all it is my system, I do not want it top be tinkered with without me knowing what is happening) and who is your audience.

After all on these Forums we hope not only to help people solving their problems, but we also hope to teach them save and good practices. Installing vague software from a vague source with a vague purpose and a vague outcome is not one of these.

Dear hcvv,

I will explain more information about what Ailurus does, on the project homepage. I will write document pages there, in order to explain what it is, does and can be. :slight_smile:

Good idea. It will help to profile your project better for potential users (maybe even openSUSE ones) :slight_smile:

Dear hcvv,

Thank you very much.

I wrote a more eleborate explanation on ailurus - Project Hosting on Google Code

Let me paste it here also.

What is Ailurus?

Ailurus is cross-Linux-distribution GPL software, which aims at making Linux easier to use, for newcomers.

What does Ailurus hope to do?

Ailurus hopes to reduce the difficulty which newcomers encounter when they are using Linux.
Ailurus hopes to promote popular open-source software.
Ailurus hopes to promote open-source software which is elegant but has not entered official repository.

What can Ailurus do?

Ailurus can …

* display Linux skills
* install popular software
* change GNOME settings
* display hardware information

How does Ailurus do this?

Ailurus invokes apt-get / yum / pacman / YaST, to install software.
Ailurus invokes GConf API, to change GNOME settings.
Ailurus invokes PolicyKit, to do authentication.
Ailurus reads files in /proc and invokes lspci to get hardware information.

Who is the target audience of Ailurus?

The target audience of Ailurus is the newcomer to linux, e.g., the people who uses Linux for not more than one month.

Thanks for the explanation.

Personaly I do not see many things I would like. E.g. a wrapper around YaST > Sofware > Software Managment (that is in itself a wrapper around zypper). Can that realy make life easier and more understandable about what software management is?

And a few of the other things seem to be covered by YaST also imho.

Don’t know about Gnome, being a KDE user. Thus I can not comment on missing functionality in configuring Gnome that ailurus could add.

Wishing you success.

Hi, hcvv,

I installed OpenSUSE. Although I am a newcomer to OpenSUSE. I feel that YaST is elegant and awesome!

I personally feel that to submit patch to YaST is a better way, rather than to make Ailurus support OpenSUSE.

When you have any suggestions to improve YaST, you could go to https://features.opensuse.org/.

That is much better than here on the Forums as the developers do not come here very often.

homer xing wrote:
> I installed OpenSUSE. Although I am a newcomer to OpenSUSE. I feel that
> YaST is elegant and awesome!

after i read your remake of the web site, i realized some of what you
are trying to make is kinda like building a version of YaST for
APT/YUM users to use on their deb/rpm based distros…

yep, YaST is pretty supper…and, as far as providing Linux skills in
a bubble (when not on line) that is exactly what our easily
downloadable and installable documentation is pretty perfect at
providing…but, getting the users to look at it is sometimes
difficult–apparently reading is not required in some operating systems…

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Ooh, you suggest people take a look at an idea for an app that was mainly developed for ubuntu, that can mean certain death around here…
I once had in idea to suggest thaty maybe openSUSE should have something like Ubuntu software center but was quickly shot down for it

Luckily you didnt suggest a openSUSE version of ubuntu tweak!