After Todays Update Only IceDM is Available

I ran ‘zypper dup’ today and it crashed while it was installing and rebooted. Now the only manager you can select is ‘Icedm’. It will boot into that. I tried dropping back to previous kernel and same problem. I tried running ‘zypper dup’ again from terminal but it says "Nothing to do’. I was running Wayland but that and kde plasma no longer show up as choices on the boot menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

@DaveInVA did you run the screen command before running your zypper dup? Or did you perform the dup from a tty?

What graphics card in use, if nvidia, try forcing the install of the nvidia rpms again.

This was caused by a problem with packman repo:

The ffmpeg update from packman removed the Plasma patterns…when you said “yes” to the zypper dup you got kicked out of the session and dropped into an IceWM login screen…

• Start IceWM
  • open YaST software
  • list the packages from packman repo and switch them all back to OSS repo
  • install patterns-kde-kde_plasma and patterns-kde-kde
  • logout and chose Plasma session
  • go into systemsettings “Login and Logout” and chose a theme for SDDM to have SDDM back…

Have you allowed to deinstall all packages because of a requirenment with ffmpeg-6-mini-libs?

At

'this-is-only-for-build-envs'

I terminated zypper dup. Sometimes TW has it’s bad hair day, apparently we are at this point again…

No zypper dup if strange stuff occurs, wait 1-2 days and watch the forum… :wink:

1 Like

That fixed it! It also deleted other things like ‘Latte Dock’ etc. I disabled ‘packman’ repository for now just to be safe.

Thanks!

1 Like

You can have a look under YaST software → Extras → History
There you can see which packages got removed today (red minus). Make a list and reinstall them.

I have TW on both laptops (and desktops). On one laptop, I have TW running in a VBox VM.

I always test a zypper dup on that VM first, to check for any side effects … if all is good, I zypper dup all my other real machines :+1:

When you have a little bit more experience you screw a real installation willingly to learn and increase your skills. I did this today to be able to give the advice how to recover from this mess.
But i have several machines here to be able to test and screw and play…
And basic skills how to recover from such minor problems are easy to learn and never hurt…

2 Likes