After Hibernate or Sleep can't connect to any wireless network

Hi, this is my first post on openSUSE’s forum, I’m moving from other distros. and I’m currently loving openSUSE and I’m probably going to stick with it for a long time.
I have already googled for this, but I found no solution, but I figured this should be a common problem… Does google searches inside this forum?

Now… for my problem, whenever I hibernate (suspend to disk) or sleep (suspend to ram) I can’t resume my wireless connection nor connect to another.
I don’t know if this is an issue if I use cables, because I simply don’t with my netbook:

The hardware in question is an ASUS 1005HA eee pc, running openSUSE version is 11.3 fully updated. Didn’t mess with wireless connections, nor kernel or hibernate settings.

I don’t really use sleep, but hibernate is definitely something I need to get working properly

PS: I’m using KDE
(I can’t seem to edit my post above)

Hi,

Could You post the result of ?

zypper lr

I just want to know because as I switched to openSUSE I thought it was fully updated but it wasn’t :slight_smile:

I had this problem earlier with different hardware but it was solved automatically with some update.

Best regards,
Greg

Sometimes modules need a helping hand to be removed and reinstalled between suspending and resuming. See if this thread helps:

Wireless not working after suspend/hibernate

This reference may also be helpful too:

Pm-utils

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh

–±-------------------------±----------------------±--------±-------
1 | ftp.uni-erlangen.de-suse | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes
2 | google-chrome | google-chrome | Yes | Yes
3 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.3-Debug | No | Yes
4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes
5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.3-Oss | Yes | Yes
6 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.3-Source | Yes | Yes
7 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.3-Update | Yes | Yes

as for the the modules I tryied before, but it wouldn’t let me close a module before I hibernated, so this solution doesn’t really suits me.
Besides, having to close a module them reload it after I hibernate sounds like a workaround to me, that I don’t fancy with.

The repos shouldn’t cause any problems AFAIK, however I think You can disable repo-source and You can definitely disable the autorefresh of repo-oss and repo-non-oss.

Could You try Yast -> software management -> packet -> all packets -> update if a newer version is available ?
Don’t press accept just check what it will tell you and somehow paste that here.

Best regards,
Greg

I have a similar problem with my touchpad and a DVB-T stick.
/etc/sysconfig/powersave/sleep does not exist.

I started reading http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Pm-utils … do I really have
to write my own script to reload the modules.

I don`t mind writing a script for this, specially if I can manage to get it working with NetworkManager, and if everything can be done automatically after I finish and link the script…

Would you share yours, please, if you do write one?

Is knetworkmanager running? If it not restart it. If that doesn’t work try the command *sudo NetworkManager *in konsole if that doesn’t work, also in konsole the command
solid-network --commands will give a list to try. for example solid-network enable wireless

yes, yes… it’s running. Knetworkmanager, gnome’s, wicd, ifup… they all run flawlessly, except for this hibernate problem none of them seem to be able to handle it

I think you didn’t understand my problem.

I hibernate my computer, which means everything on the RAM goes into my hard drive and the machine shuts down. then, when I power it on again, the RAM is loaded with exactly what was moved to the HD.
For some network problem, I can’t reconnect or keep any connection. To be more accurate, I can’t validate a connection, but I can find near networks and apparently I can get an IP

I see you got a netbook too… can you hibernate with it without any problem?

I am running 11.4 ms 3 now. I will fire up 11.3 and see what happens. What is the result of iwconfig?

I’m gonna reformat my netbook’s HDD anyways later because I need to shorten my windows partition so I can install some other distros, but… if hibernate works flawlessly on 11.4 ms I don`t mind installing it instead of the stable version

does it?

will post iwconfig output soon

here it is, before hibernate:

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:“protegida por senha”
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.427 GHz Access Point: 00:21:91:74:6A:6A
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-35 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

brb with post hibernate output

output was the same, but this time wicd managed to reconnect after a while (something like 2 minutes)
I will uninstall it an do some tests with NetworkManager, because I don’t really want to use WICD to manage my networks because it seems kinda buggy to me…

I booted 11.3 and my wireless was broken. I had to use eth0. on my wireless I am connected to my router but can’t get outside of that. tried resetting both router and modem and that didn’t work neither did netconfig update -f.

Now I know why I seldom use openSUSE11.3. on my system it is a jackwagon. 11.4 is much better the only bad thing is that kwin doesn’t play nice with composite.

What were you using on both? KDE?

I figured out, I do not have to write my own script. At least not for the
DVB-T stick. (The touchpad is a bit more complicated because support is
directly compiled into the kernel and not as a module)

I created a file in /etc/pm/config.d/ and placed the following string in it:

SUSPEND_MODULES=“dvb_usb_dib0700”

Whereas dvb_usb_dib0700 is the module that is responsible for my DVB-T
stick. Now, the module is reloaded after suspend and the device is working
fine.