Advice for Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet users

After many days of messing around with various versions of drivers and tools, and building the drivers and tools from scratch and too many pages purporting to help get this tablet running, big breath, I have some advice.

As the very first thing to check you need to look at
/var/log/xorg.0.log. If the file wacom_drv.so loads you’ll see:

(II) LoadModule: “wacom”
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//input/wacom_drv.so
(II) Module wacom: vendor=“X.Org Foundation”
compiled for 1.6.5, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
(II) Wacom driver level: 47-0.8.3-6 $

But, scrolling down further you find that you get errors similar to this;

(**) Option “Device” “/dev/input/wacom”
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/wacom
No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/input/wacom : No such file or directory

Then the very next thing you need to do is: Check that the correct wacom.ko is being loaded!

On my OpenSuSE 11.2 system there were two wacom.ko files.
The 31.7kb version was residing in:

/lib/modules/2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop/weak-updates/updates (symlink)
and in:
/lib/modules/2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop/updates,

But the correct version at 36.9kb was found in:

/lib/modules/2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko

By unloading and reloading the module FROM THIS DIRECTORY the tablet Magically Starts to Work.

By removing the smaller version of wacom.ko the system loads the driver properly from the start, Happiness looks like this:

(**) Option “Device” “/dev/input/wacom”
Mouse[5] Wacom X driver grabbed event device
(==) Wacom using pressure threshold of 245 for button 1
(==) Wacom USB Intuos4 tablet speed=9600 (38400) maxX=31496 maxY=19685 maxZ=2047 resX=5080 resY=5080 tilt=enabled
(==) Wacom device “Mouse[5]” top X=0 top Y=0 bottom X=31496 bottom Y=19685 resol X=5080 resol Y=5080

The above may be a bit over-the-top but after several days of reading mostly useless help pages on the internet including next to no help from the linuxwacom site I thought this should be archived somewhere for future use.

Summary:
Don’t start by replacing files and editing and compiling, start by seeing if the wrong wacom.ko files is getting loaded.

Tim

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 04:16:01 +0000, tjerick wrote:

> Summary:
> Don’t start by replacing files and editing and compiling, start by
> seeing if the wrong wacom.ko files is getting loaded.

Good advice all around - I purchased an Intuos4 some time ago and was
pleasantly surprised to find it worked pretty much out of the box. OLED
support has been touch and go (there was an experimental patch about 6
months ago or so that provided it, but the newer version doesn’t support
it as they’re redoing it so the userspace tools work better).

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

Thank you Tim for the advice, I am running Wacom Bamboo on 11.1 and the howto available on OpenSuse wiki for this version did work well. I was worrysome about the change of system I am going to perform in January or so, you made me have a worry less for migration. Thank you and your finding will be in my private “solution center” as of today.
Greetings.

Thank you Tim for the advice, I am running Wacom Bamboo on 11.1 and the how-to available on OpenSuse WIKI for this version did work well. I was worrisome about the change of system I am going to perform in January or so, you made me have a worry less for migration. Thank you and your finding will be in my private “solution center” as of today.
Greetings.

This is weird. A friend has an Intuos 4, it works OOTB with 11.2, without xorg.conf. Don’t know what exactly, but he uses a KDE4 tool to configure it’s behaviour.