Adobe has in all its Versions (including 9.2) a security breach that will not be fixed before January 12 and applies to all OS (linux included).
An analysis of the exploit is published here.
Adobe gives on the page also an explanation on how to handle it:
***Linux: Go to the Global Prefs file at:
As of today the security update 9.3 for Acrobat Reader is available. Unfortunately the version update 8.2 will not be available for Linux user, only for Win/Mac. Linux users are expected to update to the version 9.3.
Therefore my question:
Will there be the version 9.3 on our package servers (I am running 11.1) or do we have to manually install the version from the Adobe servers? Especially for the browser plugin (that apparently has also been updated) I see some problems.
> I haven’t come across a need to use acroread under 11.2. Okular is
> working perfectly. It even has features like form filling etc. Better
> than acroread.
Does search work for you in Okular? When I opened a .pdf document and
did a search it didn’t work. I even tried searching for a word that was
on the current page and visible. Still didn’t work.
Sure, they are babies and I have noticed them already elsewhere. What is a pitty that the content of the thread is lost and it get’s less probable that somebody will answer on the original question. I looked for the Adobe page and up to now there is only the US version of 9.3 available. I’m a bit confused as they continue to spread 8.1.7 althought they adviced the anglophone speakers (Linux) to change to 9.3 since the 8.1 versions where susceptible to exploits.
Again the question, to refresh a bit: **will there be the 9.3 version in the 11.1 repositories or should we update on the Adobe site (the latter I would prefer less)? If somebody knows the policy fo the NON-OSS repositories on new versions he/she can update me.
Yes it does. Did it the same day. It is the original code proposed as a time limited work around on the Adobe page. They proposed it on the wait for the 9.3 version (which is out now in English).
It is just that I would prefer the repository version (for a question of commodity) and the whole thing si also to understand how updates of this kind are handeled within the framework of the no-oss repositories for the maintained versions (11.0, 11.1). I would expect the 11.2 being served soon.