Add GNONE GUI

Hello,

I have a VM based on SUSE 11.3 that boots into a console in run level 3. I am used GNOME so I am trying to get it installed but not having any success. I don’t know a lot about the VM as I got it 2nd hand.

So far I have gone into YAST and installed gdm and all the dependencies. I have changed from Run level 3 to 5.

When I run startx I get
xauth: creating new authority file /root/ /serverauth.15072

/etc/x11/xinit/xserverrc: line 56: exec: X: not found
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (error2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (error3): Server error.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Todd

I’m confused.
What is the Host OS what kind of VM is installed? Xen, VirtualBox, VMware???
Have you installed Gnome and all dependencies?
Have you installed the VM’s guest additions?

Really need more information all the crystal balls are down for repair

Thanks for the response.

Running on Hyper-V. It was originally a VMware vmdk file I used VboxManage to convert to .vhd. The VM is also x64 if that helps.

I opened YAST and installed gdm and accepted the dependencies, which included gnome desktop.

I dont understand what you mean by the VM guest additions, do you mean Hyper-V integration services? I have not done that.

Todd

It is not really a good idea to try to install gnome by installing gdm
(which is just a login manager and gnome is not a dependency of gdm).
Please answer first gogalthorp’s questions, but to point you into the right
direction how you can install gnome via the command line is to install the
gnome pattern

su -
zypper in -t pattern gnome

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.4 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.4 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

And after you have installed the Gnome pattern, you should boot in runlevel 5, not run startx.

In Yast I show the Microsoft Hyper-V drivers ver 0_2.6.32.12 are installed

Please excuse me I have used SUSE for a couple years in a very limited role. I am familiar with the GNOME GUI and Windows but not as much with the console so this is a bit of a learning experience for me(which I always enjoy when I have the time).

I did run the zipper in -t pattern gnome and I get the GUI now! This is awesome, thank you!

Not critical, but the menus are different. Do you know know I would get the standard gui interface and menu that comes with the default install of SUSE with GNome?

Thanks again!

Todd

I am not sure what your GUI looks like now. Maybe you can make a screenshot
to show it and paste it to img.susepaste.org and give us the link. Just use
the PRN SCR key for a screenshot.
Also tell us in detail what you want to be different.

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.4 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.4 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

As you have just installed fresh from the 11.3 repos and have just loged in in the Gnome DE for the first time, I guess you should see what the default is for openSUSE 11.3.
As you told you didn’t use openSUSE for a few years, how can you tell that what you see is not the default?

Also you must be more precise as to what you expected and what you get instead. As I have read in another thread: the crystal balls are not working today. :wink: