Acer Aspire Timeline 4810T brightness discharging battery - how to tune ?

Hey Everyone,:slight_smile:
I just installed open suse on my Laptop (Acer Timeline Aspire 4810t) so there is one thing which is very annoying and that’s the screen’s brightness issue. i can not change brightness so it’s eating up my battery it’s on max.:frowning:

i tried :
sudo xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL nativ
and i got :
Can’t open display

plz tell me how can i solve this issue.:frowning:

thx in advance

Edit - oldcpu - post moved to a new thread by itself to try improve the possibility of help.

I moved this post to its own thread and I invite all users (WEB and NNTP based) to pitch in and try to help. Thanks !

Apologies, I forgot to unlock the thread after moving it. The thread is open for posting and available for users to provide support.

I don’t have this hardware and don’t pretend to know the definitive answer, but can you tell us which desktop environment you’re using? Both have tools for adjusting display brightness (via Power Management configuration).

BTW, xrandr does not normally need to be run as root. What does ‘xrandr’ output (as far as display names etc)?

Hi Deano_ferrari ,
this is the OS information:
Current user: mehdi@linux-3w3k
System: openSUSE 11.2 (i586)
KDE: 4.3.5 (KDE 4.3.5) “release 0”

Display Information:
Vendor: Intel Corporation
Model: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
Driver: Unknown

actually i’m new to linux i installed Ubuntu before i like Suse UI i used this command “Xrandr” in Ubuntu and it solved the issue , i thought it might work here as well!

actually i’m new to linux i installed Ubuntu before i like Suse UI i used this command “Xrandr” in Ubuntu and it solved the issue , i thought it might work here as well!

Did you use Ubuntu with this same hardware?

Type ‘xrandr’ as regular user and note what is reported (inc display name).

Please, a silly question, but what is it supposed to do ? For example, LVDS is the name of our laptop screen on our somewhat ancient Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo 7400M, and if on openSUSE-11.1 with KDE-4.3.5 I type:

xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native

I get a ‘flash’ to a full black screen, followed immediately by return to the regular KDE4 screen with no noticeable difference in brightness. Is that the nominal behaviour ? Should I anticipate getting some sort of menu control?

I’m having the same problems.
I cannot set the brightness using any tool or linux distro. tryed ubuntu, fedora, arch, opneSUSE.
I have a samsung R430.

Which desktop environment (Gnome/KDE4) and openSUSE version are you using? Did you try adjusting display brightness via power management configuration?

I have the same problem. Unable to change brightness either at the command-line or via the battery monitor. It’s the same with all OpenSUSE 1.x series, including 11.3.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Cheers,

Mike